Best time for Canada/New England cruise?

BirmanCrazy

We went on a Canadian/New Englad cruise last year at this time.

We left New York on 9/30 for a 7 day cruise. Our weather was

very cold and rainy. We did not even get off of the boat in Boston it was raining so much.

If I every took another one, I would take one during the summer and not in the fall. I saw just as much fall follage as I saw here in Ohio.

Last year we went to my son's parent's weekend at a college in Vermont over the first weekend in Oct. We thought we would see all the beautiful foliage on the long 7 hour ride up. Nope, it was starting but not great so I would aim for the middle of Oct. but I think it might vary from year to year depending on the weather conditions.

I live in New England and would not recommend waiting until October. Here in MA the leaves are already starting to change colors and it is starting to get pretty chilly here already.

Knowing most of the ports that you will be visiting, with the exception of Nova Scotia. I would suggest mid to late summer. Portland and Bar Harbor are ABSOLUTELY beautiful to visit then and it typically is not too hot or cold. We tend to visit either/both places in August and typically have great weather. In Portland, the Portland Light (house) is a must see no matter how many times we go. The park that it is in is just beautiful. I can say the same about Mt Cadillac/Acadia National Park at Bar Harbor. It is awesome.

As far as lobster, pretty much any time during the summer is good for getting lobster here. Don't plan your trip around when it would be best for that. It is pretty much readily available here year round.

I hope you enjoy yourself.

Halifax and St. John can be very cold and damp. The best time would be mid-summer, but even then, there are no guarantees.

I was there the last week in July a couple of years ago and we froze along with a drizzle for the most of the day.

Mid-October would probably be your best time to catch the foliage. That said, the waters of the north Atlantic will also be pretty cold. If rough waters are a problem for you, then you might want to reconsider when you do this itinerary, and go in summer instead. We'll be on Explorer OTS 7/31/08, 9-night NE/Canada itinerary. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for calm seas and balmy days. I can see fall foliage here in Maryland in October. Good luck whenever you plan to go!

Karen

Living in the Saint John and Halifax areas I can tell you that mid October will be too late for foliage here. Lobster will always be available though. The weather in mid October will also probably be cool and quite often damp. The leaves have started turning colour early this year and are already beautiful. Most years the leaves are gone well before the second week of October.

Hope this helps.

Would August be a better choice? I don't want to have high seas or it be very cold. I don't mind weather in the 50's and 60's though. I'm from SE Texas so we're hot most of the time. I like cool! ;) How about whale watching? Is there a good time for that? I appreciate all of your feedback!!!!!

August is a good time of year to visit weather wise but the leaves will not have turned colour yet in Eastern Canada. The fall foliage only lasts a couple of weeks usually (it just takes the remnants of a hurricane to blow all the leaves off the trees). Usually anywhere from the last two weeks of September into the first week of October for here. It varies from year to year. We had a dry summer this year and the leaves are turning early. Other years its the end of September. I planned my wedding on the 25th of September the year we got married the leaves were not turned yet and this year they're gorgeous right now, so who knows? Its up to nature. ;)

I don't believe mid-summer would be a good time to view the foliage...I believe that is what the OP was asking...

LOL I was waiting for someone to notice that. I live in Maine, today is September 24th and the weather is a beautiful high 70's low 80's. Clear deep blue skys. Foliage hasn't even started yet. I always go up to Acadia National park for hiking, biking and kyaking till at least mid October which IMHO is the best time to go there. You can get lobster any time of year here. :D

Friend of mine called yesterday morning, (Sunday) from Bar Harbor, said it was sunny and around 70 degrees. Did not report on the foliage. They were on the GOS sailing from Baltimore.

Several years ago we sailed out of Baltimore in mid October, weather was very comfortable but we did not see any significant foliage until we got to Quebec City. It was beautiful!

I live in Southeastern CT. The first three weeks of September here have been absolutely beautiful. (Can't wait to retire so we can travel during this time). We always go to Vermont/NH for Columbus Day weekend and depending on the year the foliage is either peak or a bit past. Just bundle up for our cool evenings!

Was born and raised in the N.E. - married on Oct 15 just so I'd have the fall foliage in my wedding pics and I had just that. You cannot predict the weather in N.E. Sept and Oct. are considered Indian Summer - some years it's warm and others it's cold. As Mark Twain said - wait 5 min. and the weather in N.E. will change!

The year I got married it was georgeous on my wedding day after it had rained all morning it turned out to be in the mid 70's. However, the next day there were snow flurries!! You just can never tell.

Archived