HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

Ok, I now have information from a very highly placed source. The October 18th and all subsequent cruises out of NYC have been cancelled. The October 4th crossing from Civitavecchia goes to FLL, not NYC – FLL will then be her homeport from that point on. Yes, HAL's web site is still showing October, November and December cruises for the Noordam out of NYC, with the crossing in October to New York. Obviously, they haven’t gotten around to correcting the web site.

So ... that's that. I won't get another chance for the foreseeable future to cruise south from NYC to the Caribbean and back. :(

Now I'm officially sad...

:(

You must admit, sail, that it prompts the question "Where is the Maasdam going that it's routes are being covered by the Noordam"?

Another wild speculation: the Maasdam could have been chartered for several consecutive cruises. I do think that's unlikely, though.

Greg, you had info from someone in a position to know, does your source have any info on the Maasdam?

I'm guessing charters.

I'm hoping charters. ;)

It would be very surprising to hear Maasdam is being sold .....especially before Statendam. They put too much money into SOE on all of the "S" ships to not keep them longer, don't you think?

Rats! I really wanted to sail past the Statue of Liberty, preferably on a HAL ship. Durn. But I wouldn't mind sailing out of New Orleans. I could just hope the train down from Memphis. The train lets me take a whole lot more stuff, or better, bring back lots of stuff and never have to go through airport security. Yes, I know I have to go past security on a train, but not the 3 oz of liquid type of security.

Actually, I'd love to hop a steam boat here in Memphis to connect to a ship in New Orleans, but that is another thread.

Your guest bedroom/bathroom await, my friend! :)

Ok, ... The October 4th crossing from Civitavecchia goes to FLL, not NYC – FLL will then be her homeport from that point on. ... :(

Greg,

Thanks for the intel! We are booked on the Oct. 4 2008 sailing from Civitavecchia, and chose that sailing instead of another repositioning because it came back to NYC. FLL will be a bit of a pain, but not that much -- we'll just Amtrak or rent a car, and take an extra day or two to get back to DC. But, we have not heard from HAL about the change, and don't like these kind of surprises.

Also, at the risk of getting beat on, I will point out that Cunard's QM2 sails a 10-day Eastern Carib route similar to Noordam's out of NYC, and because the ship is faster, it actually gets to Tortola in time to do something. We prefer HAL, but Cunard is certainly acceptable, and the NYC sailing is far more convenient for us than FLL.

Dave

You must admit, sail, that it prompts the question "Where is the Maasdam going that it's routes are being covered by the Noordam"?

Another wild speculation: the Maasdam could have been chartered for several consecutive cruises. I do think that's unlikely, though.

Greg, you had info from someone in a position to know, does your source have any info on the Maasdam?

The Volendam will be shifting to the Australia/New Zealand and South Pacific region after the Alaska 2008 season. Hence, looks like the Noordam will be taking the Volendam's place in the Caribbean runs out of Fort Lauderdale.

HAL's website shows the Maasdam as doing cruises out of Fort Lauderdale from October 2008 through April of 2009. I don't see any reason to think that something different is going to happen.

HAL's website shows the Maasdam as doing cruises out of Fort Lauderdale from October 2008 through April of 2009. I don't see any reason to think that something different is going to happen.

Greg, go back and reread post #14. That's the one that led me to the conclusion that the Noordam is picking up the Maasdam's cruises and the Maasdam's routes have disappeared.

What's going on? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Greg. That is indeed a sad turn of events.

I'm glad we just booked the Noordam yesterday on 2/6. We did the same cruise last year and I really felt strongly about doing another NYC cruise with her. One last time to sail past Lady Liberty. :(

Gee, I think I may know why there’s a change in the ms Noordam’s itinerary for 2008.

We received a call from our TA today, letting us know that our 10-day cruise on the ms Maasdam sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on November 3, 2008 has been cancelled according to the phone call she received from HAL. She was told that the following 10-day cruises on the ms Maasdam have also been cancelled: October 24, 2008, November 3, 2008, November 13, 2008, November 23, 2008, December 3, 2008 and December 13, 2008. HAL told her that we could book on the ms Noordam sailing on the following dates: October 14, 2008, October 24, 2008, November 7, 2008, and November 17, 2008. At this time we do not know if the ship is sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and we do not know the itinerary.

Interesting. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Greg, go back and reread post #14. That's the one that led me to the conclusion that the Noordam is picking up the Maasdam's cruises and the Maasdam's routes have disappeared.

Hmmm ... interesting indeed.

Again, the Website doesn't reflect this.

I wonder if the Maasdam is being shifted to service someplace else? Why would they publish a late 08/early 09 schedule for the Maasdam, then immediately pull it? It's hard to say, if we can't trust HAL's website for information, that even the Volendam's South Pacific/Australian interaries are correct.

They'll eventually clean up this mess. But, as of right now (if it's true that the Maasdam's itineraries are being cancelled) it looks like HAL is decreasing their presence in the Caribbean by not one but two ships.

Everything from September on for the Massdam is getting an error code when an attempt to price it.

But, as of right now (if it's true that the Maasdam's itineraries are being cancelled) it looks like HAL is decreasing their presence in the Caribbean by not one but two ships.

How so? I am coming up with an increase of one ship, Eurodam.

Noordam is still in the Caribbean, just not sailing from NYC. The Maasdam will turn up somewhere and it might just be the western Caribbean.

How so? I am coming up with an increase of one ship, Eurodam.

Noordam is still in the Caribbean, just not sailing from NYC. The Maasdam will turn up somewhere and it might just be the western Caribbean.

I'm editing my response here:

My thinking was based on the fact that we didn't know where the Maasdam was going to be redeployed ... could have been somewhere outside the Caribbean. With her being deployed for 14-day Southern Caribbean cruises, that means that the ship-numbers remain unchanged. The Eurodam is in, but the Volendam out to the South Pacific/Australia Theater after the Alaska 08 season.

Ooooh ... very nice. They're now showing the Maasdam doing 14-day Southern Caribbean cruises ... all the way down to Barbados and back up!!!!!! VERY nice.

Looks like they're responding to our requests for longer -- 14 day -- itineraries!

October 08 - 4 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Westerdam)

November 08 - 6 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Veendam, Zuiderdam)

December 08 - 7 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Statendam, Westerdam, Veendam, Zuiderdam)

January 09 - 7 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Statendam, Westerdam, Veendam, Zuiderdam)

February 09 - 6 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Veendam, Zuiderdam)

March 09 - 6 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Veendam, Zuiderdam)

April 09 - 5 ships in the Caribbean (Eurodam, Maasdam, Veendam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam)

LOL This thread is holding true to form. I just love all the speculation about the Maasdam, being sold, charters, .......... :D

One thing for certain, if you try to book a cruise on the Maasdam for Oct 2008 ( as of this morning) you still receive the invalid message. Other cruises in Oct of 2008 allow you to book.

Sail7Seas,

Maybe you can find out what is happening since you have many friends on the Maasdam. :)

Archived