Need info on Pacific Princess

mmyorkston

We are sailing on Pacific Princess in November and can't wait. Would love to hear from those who have been on her recently. Are the staterooms similar to those on other Princess ships (we have an inside)? Are there good places to sit and read a book? How are the shipboard activities? etc.

We were on her last summer if that counts. She is a beautiful shop and you definietly should not miss her library. It is a fabulous place to sit and read - or do jigsaws - or just pass time. Lots of other areas to sit and read as well.

We haven't been in one of the inside rooms, but the cabins seem larger than the usual Princess rooms as this was a Renaissance ship and they were a lttle more generous with space.

If you'd like photos, drop me an email at charliekirby@comcast.net.

Charlie

We did the last Alaska cruise of the season on Pacific Princess (Sept 5-12) and had a WONDERFUL time. Can't compare to other Princess ships as it was our first, but we made a booking for another while on board--we want to do one of the small ships again! We found the service and the food to be outstanding.

We had a balcony cabin and it was smaller than the balcony cabin we had on HAL (Maasdam) last year (we mainly noticed the difference in the bathroom and the balcony). I think the difference is about 75 sq ft.

When I wanted to get out of the room (I spent lots of time on our balcony, reading or looking at the scenery with binoculars--totally bundled up:p ) I read in the library or the Pacific lounge (deck 10 forward) The lounge has the added benefit of having a bar, if that's important to you. There's a nice paperback trade in the library (self-service) in addition to the books you can borrow just while you're on board--I left 6 books behind, I think;)

How is the internet service on PP? I am planning to bring one of our laptops with us. We have wireless and a separate broadband wireless card from Sprint that I'm reasonably certain will work in Hawaii ( at least in port). What is the procedure on wireless internet otherwise?

We got off the PP Sept. 3 or thereabouts. We had an inside cabin (7026, I think, but how quickly I've forgotten), and found it pretty large and nice. If you want privacy, you can always hang out on 5th deck outside on the loungers (in good weather) or the specialty restaurants are open during the day for just sitting and reading or whatever. There are plenty of places to go to be alone, quiet, etc., and yes, the library is beautiful. If you're into solitude and the weather is nice, I'd suggest taking the steps up to the sun deck, above the pool deck. We did the Alaska cruise right before Hoyaheel, and obviously on that cruise, the only time I spent on the sundeck was for glacier viewing, but for sunny itineraries I would think it would be nice. I hung out there a lot on Oceania's sister ships when we cruised the Med. It isn't crowded.

We didn't use the internet at all, so can't comment on that. One thing I noticed, however, is that you can't do ANYTHING on the computers for free other than look at the Princess web site! (I was hoping to write some stuff in Word and email it home, or at least use a photo editor to edit some of my pictures, but no such luck.)

Shipboard activities were ok for me but not fantastic. However, I really didn't care about that much. I can entertain myself!!!

Cruise director was Peter something from the UK (obviously, I didn't go to too many shows or activities, since I can't remember his last name!)

One thing that was confusing to me was the food situation at dinner. While Princess' web site implies that PP only has a "bistro" open at night (serving mostly pizza) in addition to the main dining room and the specialty restaurant(s), they had a modest buffet open for casual dining each night. There was plenty of food and choice of food, it was decent quality, and came in handy if you didn't want to dress up to go to the main dining room.

Being on a smaller passenger ship is great. Never that crowded. We love Oceania (more expensive than Princess, but better than Princess) and their ships are the same size (well, actually the same ship) as the PP. I have no desire to cruise on the larger ships after cruising on Oceania's ships and then the Pacific Princess.

Archived