How do you handle heat & humidity?

Sundagger

I am another big advocate of wearing a hat. I usually go with a straw hat it doesn't seem as hot but the shade really helps. Also you have to drink Water, nothing else works as well with hydrating your body and lastly cotton clothing only; synthetics are the worst but even silk makes me feel like I am wrapped in plastic wrap.

I have the cure, my wife has convinced me that to stay cool go into lots of jewelry stores:rolleyes: . It's a little expensive but you get to drink lot's of Heineken;) . After 18 cruises and 36 years of marriage I've learned it works:D . Signed, a happy husband.

Smart wife!

. . . and I actually forego makeup in these situations. I know what's going to happen -- I'm going to wipe it all off within an hour, and possibly have raccoon eyes to boot. . .

2 words - Permanent Make-up (especially eye liner).

There isn't much you can do about it if you aren't acclimated to it. It takes me a week or two in summer to get used to it, then I'm fine. don't compare yourself to others - it's not fair to you as some people live in hot humid conditions and therefore 'weather it better.' We've had a record string of hot and humid weather this summer so I'm fully acclimated - just in time for fall!

Do what you feel like doing, but pace yourself and stay hydrated. Plan on extra showers or pool time.

give me a break. who wears make up into the ports? Like the lady at SSW last year. applying 2 inches of make up so that the stars will see her and hopefully take her home. Get a life. When it is 99 degrees and 90% humidity, leave the make up on the ship.
If you saw me without any make up (AT ALL) you would change your mind about that. No one looks more different than me with and without. I don't wear much, but just a little foundation. And yes, after awhile it is long gone. LOL

AS for what I do, well I drink water, but I still swell up like a balloon. When I get back I take a shower and put my feet up for awhile. It seems to help some, of course avoiding salt also helps but so many foods are full of sodium.

Nita

If you saw me without any make up (AT ALL) you would change your mind about that. No one looks more different than me with and without. I don't wear much, but just a little foundation. And yes, after awhile it is long gone. LOL

AS for what I do, well I drink water, but I still swell up like a balloon. When I get back I take a shower and put my feet up for awhile. It seems to help some, of course avoiding salt also helps but so many foods are full of sodium.

Nita

AVOID SALT ON A CRUISE, TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT.

As a South Floridian, I actually like the heat and humidity. However, after visiting dry climates, it's still a shock when you get off that plane and the heat and humidity hits you like a hot, wet blanket!:eek:

How to cope? I've learned:

To embrace sweat; it's your friend. Sweating helps keep you cooler;

Drink lots of water!!

Walk on the shady side of the street (though this doesn't make as much difference in humid climes as it does in dry ones);

Limit your exposure to mornings and evenings after it's cooled down; take advantage of pools and a/c during the "noon day sun" (when only 'mad dogs and Englishmen' venture out:p );

Don't be in a hurry. Trying to do too much in the heat is really exhausting;

Wear loose cotton clothes and minimum (if at all) makeup. It'll just melt off anyway.

Enjoy!:)

I dress comfortably, use plenty of sunscreen, bring water with me and when I have a choice, will book excursions in the morning instead of the afternoon. I try not to pick excursions that are too long (5 hours can be a bit long in the heat), and usually try to find one with a swimming element.

It is less humid in the winter months...it's their dry season. We've been there once in early March and other times in June through September...it gets really hot and humid in the summer. We were at an all-inclusive in mid-June one year, went to Tulum and Xel-Ha and it was hot, hot, hot in Tulum. I couldn't wait to get back in the A/C on the tour bus!

Believe me, if you all lived in New Hampshire you would welcome hot, humid weather in the winter! We all finally thaw out when we go on our winter cruise. Last February we left Manchester, NH at 5:00 AM in the dark and it was 8 degrees. We got to Houston and it was 50 and everyone was complaining. By the time we got to Belize it was 85 or so. Pure bliss.

Barb

How do you handle heat & humidity?

Not very well, I'm afraid! My short, curly hair frizzes and is plastered to my head, my face turns red and I "glow" like crazy :o.

On our last cruise one of the vendors in the small "shack" type shops took one look at me and made me sit down and turned his fan on me! Bless his heart :) ! I looked a lot worse than I felt, but his concern did get did him some $$ for his chachki's.

It's something I've had to learn to live with. My dear Father was the same, while my dear Mother hardly ever "glowed".

I don't go to places that are hot and humid, or try not to.

I did go to Jamaica when it was hot and humid and learned not to do that.

Hawaii can be hot and humid in the summer, so opted for December to avoid that.

I'm off to other places than the Caribbean now, didn't have to worry about hot and humid in New England/Canada, Alaska, or Pacific Northwest. And

I'm hoping that in October '08 in the Med Italy & Greece that the hot humid summer will be over.

I don't sweat much, therefore I get really sick in the heat. We went to Italy in '98 in May to avoid the heat, but Rome and Naples were still hot and humid. We bought bottles of water (one to drink, the other to pour over our heads). If I were to find myself in hot and humid even though I try to plan not to be, I'd stay inside in an air conditioned area.

I live where it can be very humid in the warmer months and up in the 90's is not uncommon in the summer. I'm still not used to it. Handheld fans that you can wave on yourself really do help and getting out of the sun also helps a lot. Drink lots of water. My Grandma has lived here for 80 years but one hot day at the state fair, she didn't drink enough water and just about got heat exhaustion. We got her a place to sit in the shade and made sure she drank the water that we had given her that morning and then she was okay.

And just for the record, no matter how hot and humid it is, I'm wearing make-up!

I'm with you...I don't go anywhere without make-up. We have high humidity ALL the time here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Today it's 93% humidity which is about the norm in the summer...yes I know it's fall, but it will be around 90 degrees here today. If I waited until it was dry outside I'd never wear make-up! You do get acclimated to it, but it definitely makes you sweat a LOT.

I wear very light clothing and no makeup. I don't fuss with my hair. It's short so I just wash it and use gel to hold in in place. I wear a sunvisor and sunglasses and carry one of those spray bottle fans.

Drink alot of water. Also I pace myself. I don't spend more than 4 hours touring in hot humid weather. It's just not worth the pain.:)

I can either put on a bathing suit and pair of shorts and look for a pool, or I sit in the pool with lots of liquor and wait for the evening and air conditioning......lol, sorry about that, I couldn't help it:cool:

Pretty much put up my hair, wear light clothing, lots of water, and hope for the rain to break the humidity. Jersey in August, what a delight! :rolleyes:

We live on the Texas Gulf Coast in this sub-tropical climate! Summers (and sometimes it extends way past that!) are always hot and humid. Actually, it's humid most of the time unless we get a cool front. It's great for your skin though! Sprinkle yourself with baby powder with cornstarch in it, drink plenty of fluids, AND cut down on your caffeine intake. The caffeine will make you sweat more! Wear lots of cotton clothing and NO polyester!

Hi CGB! Dh & I live in Houston too. We're taking our 1st cruise on the Ecstacy to Cozumel 10/25/07, and I've been wondering how humid it is there compared to here at home.

What do you think?

Hi MindyLee! I think you'll be right at home in Cozumel. We've been to Cozumel several times and it feels about the same to me. I just make sure I drink plenty of water when I'm outside but then, I have to do that here also. According to www.weatherbase.com the average temperature for Cozumel in October is 79 degrees. You can't beat that weather! Enjoy your first cruise! Cruising is addicting because it's such an easy vacation! :D

Like most of the others, I wear loose lightweight clothing, no makeup, no jewelry. I drink lots and lots of water and have a water bottle with a fan attached. I got mine at Disney World, but think I've seen them other places. You turn on the fan and spray yourself with the water. It really does help. I'm sure you could Google it. I also have one of the neck things that you soak in water. Also carry a bandanna to wet and wipe with. Of course, caffeine and alcohol will decrease your tolerance.

give me a break. who wears make up into the ports? Like the lady at SSW last year. applying 2 inches of make up so that the stars will see her and hopefully take her home. Get a life. When it is 99 degrees and 90% humidity, leave the make up on the ship.

What's SSW?

I agree wearing no or minimal makeup is best in the heat (I only wear a tinted SPF moisturizer, maybe some waterproof mascara and lipgloss) but I also think that some people are just not comfortable "leaving it on the ship". If not, it is best to go with waterproof products and try to use minimal foundation if you can.

I also agree - drink water as much as possible! Stay in the shade, and wear light-colored cotton clothing.

Now, some could argue to stick with frozen margaritas instead of on the rocks - hey, with frozen, you consume extra ice! That's got to be good, right? :D

just know its there, you're going to sweat and its going to be warm. We pack plenty of light cloths and drink a lot of water. If we had been shy about getting out in the war caribbean weather we would have missed some of our favorite vacation times ever. The hottest day we have ever had was 101 degrees and 98% humidity in Jamaica, but we went ziplining through the rainforest, saw some wonderful animals and had an amazing time...we knew the weather was going to be like that but had we worried about it too much we would have missed the experience...just remember, when you get back on the ship there's AC and a shower:)

I wear loose fitting light colored linen shorts and lightweight cotton sleeveless shirts, preferably white or very light colors (never dark colors), pull my hair up and back off my neck, and wear sandals. If it's really hot I wear a hat to keep the sun off my head and shoulders (but only when I know I'm going to be in the sun for a long time as I don't like hats on my head too much).

Also, have plenty of water with you and if site seeing, try to stay in the shade when you can.

I bought a bandanna called the "Cobber" its an Australian product and has gel beads inside it. You put it in ice cold water and the gel swells, squeeze it out and tie it round your necks - its wonderfully cooling and lasts for ages!!:D

Archived