repositioning cruise

basically

It is when a cruise ship moves from one sailing area to another for the season

EG: they do Caribbean in winter then in spring & fall reposition to Europe for the summer

or they go from Pacific Coast/Mexico runs to Alaska

My repositioning cruise was on the Empress. They were moving her from her Western Caribbean (winter) home port of Tampa up to NY to start her sails to Bermuda. We did 7 days (Tampa, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St. Thomas, San Juan). A few people were doing BTB and staying on her, heading to the Bahamas, and maybe they were going to Bermuda, too, then to NYC.

I only found out about it from my TA (and I no longer use a TA, maybe I should?). The price was fantastic! I just let her book the cruise air since, in instances like these, booking your own would entail hunting down good fares for one-way flights.

I loved that cruise.

Oh, and you might want to search for "special" cruises. I think that's how they're referred to when I've spotted them online.

Check the shoulder season months. Also check on transatlantic cruises, as some of those are shifting ships from or to Europe from the Caribbean or Alaska. The transatlantic ones tend to have 5 or more days at sea and fewer ports of call.

• 1 month later...

I learned on these boards that they are not always called "repositioning" cruises. Sometimes they are back-to-back-to-back. See below the response I got to my question about a 46-day itinerary I was interested in. This one IS NOT CHEAP!

First leg is port canaveral to Rio

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...litary=&state=

2nd leg around the horn

3rd leg Chile to Lax

HOWEVER, there are inexpensive ones that I read about. I saw one from Barcelona, Spain, to Boston for only $299. Of course, you have to fly to Barcelona and then home from Boston, but it's an incredible price.

When you do a transatlantic (TA), be aware of the weather and the season so you will not be disappointed. I say this not from experience but from my research on these boards.

This is definitely something we will try sometime. I love the at-sea days.

Another repo. cruise we are taking is September 20-October 3 to Alaska. Start in Vancouver and end in L.A.

I did the repositioning transatlantic on the NCL Jewel (great ship) April 22-May 5, 2007. I loved the long days at sea and the ports of call in Europe were wonderful. Had two days of semi to rough seas but the decks weren't closed for the entire day, just when the winds and sea really kicked up. I would recommend it if you are really looking for relaxation. Do book returns with the cruise lines since you have an open jaw return that can be pricey otherwise. I also did a post cruise 2 day in Athens that was well worth the additional funds.

We're booked on the Oct. 30, 2008, repositioning cruise from Bayonne, N.J. to Ft. Lauderdale. It's on the Celebrity Constellation and it's 11 nights. It spends two days in Bermuda and also has stops in Aruba, St. Maarten, and Labadee (their private island). The price was great, although I thinks it's been steadily rising lately. It seems to be a very popular cruise.

• 2 months later...

We're taking the 12-day Celebrity Summit repositioning cruise from San Juan to Southampton on March 29th. The first 5 days are sea days which I'm hoping to use to relax and get in a vacation frame of mind, and the next 7 stop at Pont Delgada (Azores), Vigo and Gijon Spain, and La Rochelle and Cherbourgh France. The price was right ($999) but there are some down sides - there's not much tourist info or excursions on the ports of call, the stays are short (4-6 hours), and the return flight home. However, we're staying a day over in San Juan and London to stretch it out.

:confused: Anyone visit any of these ports? I'm thinking of starting a thread 'cause there's not much info available.

Dave and Sharon

Mariner of the Seas - 3/07 (Eastern Caribbean)

Mariner of the Seas - 9/07 (Western Caribbean)

Check out Grandeur of the Seas. It does a spring and fall repo that have very nice itineraries. We are doing both this year.

You stole my thought exactly. I am a TA here in Maryland and always see the lower prices when they move the Grandeur to/from Tampa.

Tim

Archived