ok, how much is too much

jazncruiser

We are sailing on Hal, Noordman for 11 days. So far, including, hotel, 3 days in New York, cruise and excursions, we will have spent approx. 175.00 per person per day. Is this too much? It astounds me on how quickly things add up. Let me know what you think.:confused:

Jim, you are always so knowledgable (sp???). I always look to see if you post first. This also includes food in NY and shipboard credit as well as buying a few trinkets for our children and grandchildren. Thank you, I feel better. We work hard for our $$$ and like to spend them the best way possible. But we have never been gone for 16 days before, 10 yes, but not 16 and not to NY.

Patti

Just curious. What hotel are you staying in in NY?

During your daysin NY, there is a show called The Body SHow at the South Street Seaport. It's an amazing view of the workings of the human body. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it's so unusual and interesting that if you can fit it in, don't miss it.

We are staying at the Murray Hill Inn for 4 nights, if you include when we leave, 10-19 and return, it is actually 16 days. I have figured in food for NY and tab on board ship and trinkets...so I guess we are doing pretty good:D from what all of you are saying. Thanks...I guess I live in the dark ages....I am 53 and my dh is 55. I'm just not used to spending that much for 1 vacation for the year. maybe 2.

Patti

Sorry, but am I reading the OP correctly? $175/day/pp for the cruise itself, excursions, hotel and staying in NYC? It doesn't seem possible. A day in NY would cost at least that pp and the post says this includes the cruise and excursions also??

I was also wondering the same thing... when we cruised the Noordam from NY, our hotel was $380 per night and I have yet to come across a recent cruise that is under $200 per day, for any accomodation. :confused:

We have been paying closer to $750 per day for the two of us for years.

We also have 3 excursions planned, 1 in Dominica, 1 in St Thomas and 1 in Barbados, for Tortola, beach day, site seeing (ship comes in at 3 and leaves at 9) and St Maartan (11-7) and San Juan (7-1), probably beaches, shopping, site seeing. Who knows???? Any suggestions for the last 3 ports?

Patti

Is this figure divided by the cruise days/nights or total nights? If someone is on a 11 night cruise and has three nights in NY than I think the amount needs to be divided by 14? Is air included or are you driving? Does this include taxes, port fees and transfers to the pier?

Also how many and what excursions have you booked? Is this two persons in the stateroom or 3 etc? If you divide by more people the numbers do go down pp.

This sounds cheap!

Well, here is how I figured it for our upcoming Westerdam cruise...

Cabin SA - $4300 - 7 days

Lago Mar - $600 - 2 nights

Total accomodations $4900 / divided by 9 nights = $544.44 / divided by 2 persons = $272.22 - not including food for two of the nights, excursions, or shipboard account; which for us on a 7-day cruise is normally $800 - $900. I usually prepay any excursions in advance by booking online...

I agree, $350 pp is what our New England/Canada cruise with 2 days pre-cruise in New York cost us including food, tours etc. (14 days). I did not include souvenirs in the cost as that is strictly up to me whether to spend for those.

If you're doing it for $175, that's absolutely fantastic.

The costs in NYC are high, but then so is just about anywhere you want to travel to these days.

Rome and Venice are making NYC look cheap! I know the dollar isn't doing well, but even if you don't do an exchange, and just look at the EUR, I was quoted 686 EUR for a hotel in Venice per night for a 3 *** hotel. I'm still looking. I have found a chain hotel in Mestre for $143 per night and there is a Marriott at the airport that is supposed to be reasonable, but kind of wanted to be a little closer to Venice proper.

Ok, figures again. Cruise balcony cabin for 2: 2485, hotel for 4 nights 1 prior and 3 after: 814, 3 excursions: 370, trip insurance: 203, airfare: 629, spending (food, cruise line bill, trinkets): 1100. This is for 2 people. Wha'cha think? For 1 night at the Murray Hill in we don't have a toilet/shower in our room but the other 3 nights we do...it's called sharing that night is only 138. so...1 night we have to go out of our room to freshen up and take care of business..the Hotel is on 143 E 30th St and I'm sure there is nothing fancy about it:o , but we will be out most of the time sightseeing, and probably not what we are used to when we pay 100-150 here in Calif or AZ when we travel but so what, it will be an experience and who knows maybe something to talk about years to come!

Patti

We are staying at the Murray Hill Inn for 4 nights, if you include when we leave, 10-19 and return, it is actually 16 days. I have figured in food for NY and tab on board ship and trinkets...so I guess we are doing pretty good:D from what all of you are saying. Thanks...I guess I live in the dark ages....I am 53 and my dh is 55. I'm just not used to spending that much for 1 vacation for the year. maybe 2.

Patti

Patti, so are you figuring $5,600.00? $350per day (two persons) x 16, or $5,250 ($350.00 x 15 nights?)

ok, 16 days for 2, and we booked a guaranty VC but was upgraded to a VA on Noordam for 10/20 cruise, granted it is the very first cabin at the front of the ship on the port side, but my goodness! I couldn't believe it. We usually only sail for 7 days and have only done 1 10 day cruise to Mexico and that was very inexpensive as airfare was less expensive as well as trinkets and food (we didn't stay, just flew in and went to ship)

Rome and Venice are making NYC look cheap! I know the dollar isn't doing well, but even if you don't do an exchange, and just look at the EUR, I was quoted 686 EUR for a hotel in Venice per night for a 3 *** hotel. I'm still looking. I have found a chain hotel in Mestre for $143 per night and there is a Marriott at the airport that is supposed to be reasonable, but kind of wanted to be a little closer to Venice proper.

Try Trip Advisor... we have found true hidden gems in Rome that way... we also try and avoid U.S. hotel chains and opt for local - we found you tend to get more for your money and the experience is so unique. Good luck - we love, love love Italy and can't wait to return. :)

You mention an 11 day cruise and then 3 days in NYC which is 14 days in my 1960's math... but then later talk about 16 days... (scratching my head) At any rate 14 days times $350 per day (175 x 2 people) comes to $4900.

I would think the minimum you could get by on per day in NYC for a room and meals is $300, so that takes $900 off the total. Then if one assumes onboard expenses (including tips) of at least $100 a day (for 2) that's another $1100 and then $500 for expenses ashore (excursions and souvenirs) we're down to $2400 for the cruise or about $1200 per person. So I'd say you're on the low side if anything. And that doesn't include transportation from home to NYC and back.

For 1 night at the Murray Hill in we don't have a toilet/shower in our room but the other 3 nights we do...it's called sharing that night is only 138. so...1 night we have to go out of our room to freshen up and take care of business..the Hotel is on 143 E 30th St and I'm sure there is nothing fancy about it:o ...it will be an experience and who knows maybe something to talk about years to come!

Talking about it for years to come might not be a good thing! :eek:

Ok, figures again. Cruise balcony cabin for 2: 2485, hotel for 4 nights 1 prior and 3 after: 814, 3 excursions: 370, trip insurance: 203, airfare: 629, spending (food, cruise line bill, trinkets): 1100. This is for 2 people. Wha'cha think? For 1 night at the Murray Hill in we don't have a toilet/shower in our room but the other 3 nights we do...it's called sharing that night is only 138. so...1 night we have to go out of our room to freshen up and take care of business..the Hotel is on 143 E 30th St and I'm sure there is nothing fancy about it:o , but we will be out most of the time sightseeing, and probably not what we are used to when we pay 100-150 here in Calif or AZ when we travel but so what, it will be an experience and who knows maybe something to talk about years to come!

Patti

I did the quick math and calculated you at $400 per day or $200 per person per day. I came up with $5,601/14 nights = $400.00 for two persons. This is much less if you take out the $1,100.00

This is very good. You have a great deal on the balcony cabin. It is interesting to see where diff people get their figures.

I personally could not stay somewhere with a shared bathroom. The last time I did that was a long time ago but it did get me around Europe for several months.

What month is this trip? Did you try the Edison hotel in NY? They used to be about $200 off season.

I did the quick math and calculated you at $400 per day or $200 per person per day. I came up with $5,601/14 nights = $400.00 for two persons. This is much less if you take out the $1,100.00

This is very good. You have a great deal on the balcony cabin. It is interesting to see where diff people get their figures.

I personally could not stay somewhere with a shared bathroom. The last time I did that was a long time ago but it did get me around Europe for several months.

What month is this trip? Did you try the Edison hotel in NY? They used to be about $200 off season.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/index.asp

My husband would be dancing in the streets for that kind of per diem!!! I don't think we've ever been able to keep our daily cost under that kind of control. Good for you! Hope you have the most wonderful vacation.

Curious? What did you budget for food while in New York? We went for deli sandwiches for lunch, a soft drink each and our bill was $40 plus tip.

Michmike, We are leaving on Oct 19th and returning on Nov 3rd, So I have counted those days also, even tho' we will be flying from California to New York, but will still have to spend for food/drinks those days. So...16 days earlier post explains about expenses.

Patti

Archived