PG ? Room, SCUBA, Flights: advice please?

couture1

We are planning to take the 7day PG June of 2008 for a 10year anniversary, and would really appreciate any advice you may have re:

1. Selecting a cabin, we are going to book a Balcony Stateroom level "C" and was wondering anyone can give advice re: front/back/middle or which side to book. (someone mentioned avoiding a noisy side/dockside)?

2. We'd like to fly business class (it is a special occasion) and I'm not sure to fly Air France or Air Tahiti...any opinions? We were thinking of booking directly vs. through Regent?

3. We are avid SCUBA divers and I was wondering if anyone has any advice about which days or sites we should plan for?

Thank you so much for all the insights and advice we have already found on this board...we look forward to joining the ranks of PG fans!

We spent two weeks on the PG in 05, had 705, adjacent large suite and loved the location (port side)..re Scuba, the PG's dive master, Dominque is one of the best I have dove with...they have one tank dives almost every day (except Motu day) in the most convenient configuration I have experienced in over 50 dives. You simply go down to deck four, where the sports platform is, the dive crew will have your equipment (they will provide if you do not have) set up, you receive your dive brief on the platform deck, jump in their dive boats--and within five minutes your in FP dive heaven...my favorite dive was shark's gallery, then ledges and

tapu...had a fantastic outside dive op dive--a giant manta ray dive as well.

have a blast on your cruise and have fun diving in fp!

My husband and I just returned ( Sept.1) from our 14 day cruise on the PG. Even though we do not dive it seems as if we had dinner almost everynight with people that took every dive offered. They had nothing but positive comments about the dive master ( Dominque) and how efficiently everything was handled. Several men had been diving for years and they said this was the best they had ever seen. Everything was ready and on time. Two of the couples brought their own equipment ( suits and regulators) and they commented more than once that after a dive they dive master would take their suits, hang them up to dry and they would be ready for them when they arrived for the next dive.

We don't have any experience with that aspect of the Gif it is as good as everything else was on that ship you will be in heaven. They bend over backwards to make sure everything is right and that you are pleased. One night at dinner the waiter heard my husband say that the appetizer of Oysters Rockefeller was the best he had ever had and surprise, surprise, the next night at dinner ( with another waiter), out comes an appetizer of Oysters Rockefeller for my husband. Little things like that were always happening so make everything very special.

Be sure you do the wedding celebration. It is really special.

Hope this helps. have a wonderful time

Micked10

We were on the PG in 2005 for our 20th anniversary. Be sure to tell them it's your anniversary. It may have changed since then, but we received complimentary hors d'eurvres, champagne and a small cake in our stateroom and an invitation to the anniversary celebration. The picture from that resides in a special place in our living room. Even at an extra cost, it is well worth it.

We had #715 which is a balcony cabin near the suites on the port side. The balcony is worth every extra penny; it is really romantic and it's wonderful to be able to go outside and enjoy the wonderful outdoor view.

We are booked for the 14 day Cook Island itinerary in Sep 2008.

We don't dive, but I love to snorkel and it was wonderful. I can't wait until next year.

You will love the ease of diving off the PG. It is one of the reasons we are going back next year, to share it with our children and their spouses. We did every dive offered and enjoyed all of them.

The dive masters are all excellent. My favorite dives were "Tapu" at Bora Bora and "Shark Gallery" at Moorea. There was one dive on Bora Bora called "Table Top" and while the water was incredible...there was a very STRONG current. This dive was difficult for a couple of divers in our group. Perhaps it was just that particular day.

If you are going to skip a day of diving I would probably skip the Raiatea day with the off shore operator. While still wonderful, the diving off the PG was much better. We want to try the Giant Manta dive this time around.

As mentioned above, the service from the dive crew was incredible. We were definately spoiled and loved it!

We took all our own equipment except BC's. Each morning everything was laid out for us, our computers hooked up and ready to go. It was great!

Have Fun

You will love the ease of diving off the PG. It is one of the reasons we are going back next year, to share it with our children and their spouses. We did every dive offered and enjoyed all of them.

The dive masters are all excellent. My favorite dives were "Tapu" at Bora Bora and "Shark Gallery" at Moorea. There was one dive on Bora Bora called "Table Top" and while the water was incredible...there was a very STRONG current. This dive was difficult for a couple of divers in our group. Perhaps it was just that particular day.

If you are going to skip a day of diving I would probably skip the Raiatea day with the off shore operator. While still wonderful, the diving off the PG was much better. We want to try the Giant Manta dive this time around.

As mentioned above, the service from the dive crew was incredible. We were definately spoiled and loved it!

We took all our own equipment except BC's. Each morning everything was laid out for us, our computers hooked up and ready to go. It was great!

Have Fun

Does PG charge extra to use their BC's or is the gear included in the price?

You asked about airlines. We flew Air Tahiti and were very pleased. We have flown Air France in the past, though to Europe, not to Tahiti. The Air Tahiti flight attendants were very pleasant and efficient, less attitude than what I have experienced with Air France. I would probably base my choice to Tahiti on schedule and, if applicable, airline miles. We have lots of AA miles and used those for the tickets.

I've been on two PG cruises but didn't scuba on either one. Snorkelling gear was included, I don't know about scuba gear.

I always wanted to try a stateroom further back, have been in staterooms on both sides and port or starboard didn't matter. I enjoyed starboard side in Papeete so that I could watch what happened dockside, also tender activity when moored away from home base.

I travelled both airlines to and from and found Air Tahiti to be a better service. I did NOT travel business class. My brother, former piano player on the PG, flew business class many times on both airlines and it didn't matter to him, as he was just looking forward to getting on the ship!

Have a fabulous trip!

PG February 2001

PG April 2003

Just a note to add about the flight. For us, it was worth it to book through Regent, because (1) transfers are provided free of charge through Regent; and (2) you are given a complimentary day room at the Radisson on the day of disembarkation to relax and freshen up prior to your flight (the flights don't leave PPT until 10:00pm or after).

But, if you find the airfare to be a lot cheaper on your own, or if you are using miles, then of course it'd be wise to do the air on your own.

We just got back a few weeks ago from a 10 day cruise on the PG. We had cabin 702 and were very happy with it. It is on the port side, near the front of the ship. It had Deck 8 cabins above it, so it was very quiet. I know that people who have cabins on Deck 7 who are below the pool can be bothered by the deck cleaning that takes place early in the morning. We found the port side to have excellent views. We were on the dock side in Raiatea, which was good as we could see the island from our cabin. We had a great view of Bora Bora at anchor there. We had a great view of the motus at Tahaa (whereas the people in the starboard cabins had a great view of Tahaa that day). The starboard side of the ship is the one next to the dock in Papeete. If you want to see more of what's going on in the town while you are docked, that's the better side. I have heard some people comment that it is noisy on that side early in the morning when deliveries are made for the next cruise. You probably can't go wrong on either side, but after going on our cruise, I would take our cabin again in a heartbeat. I hope you have a great time.

I thought I would add my two cents. As everyone has stated the dives from the PG were great, some people think they are too structured. All the equipment was included in the price of the dive and seemed in good condition to me. I don't know why you would want to schlep all sorts of gear half way around the world when they have decent stuff, but then I am not that serious about SCUBA.

Airlines,.... I have gotten worked over by Air France one too many times so I would probably pay Regent a deviation to travel on ATN. At least until I have a bad experience on ATN.

Let's see, 141 days and counting.

They do not provide computers or dive lights. You do not need either. Visibility is superb with plenty of light at the depths you dive. You go down and stay with divemaster(s). They will keep an eye on your air and come up when appropriate. They are all one tank dives. Dives with sharks were spectacular. I suppose everyone sees pretty much the same thing, three species and we also had a very friendly sea turtle.

Archived