Pets on Board

swigso

Oh come on Swigo let us dream some.... todays animal laws will prevent such a possiblity anyway.

But with this kind of response it might be a market worth looking into... it would however require a compeltely different kind of ship, even the so called soft goods would have to be different - no carpets etc. Just imagine it would also reqiure having a vet and an animal hospital onboard....:smile:

It might also just get a bit interesting getting the pet to the ship.... anyone check out airfares recently????

Wonder how TSA would handle a quantity of pet food??

I would also expect that there would be some sort of additional charge for the pet......ain't nothing "free" anymore.....;)

Would probably be cheaper and simpler just to pack a Teddy Bear in your suitcase.........

But I'm all for having pets and banning children.

Even the worse pet I have met doesn't come close to the bad attitudes of many children who learned by the way from their parents. Okay manybe one or two exceptions.

I see nothing wrong with having a pet friendly cruise as long as it doesn't directly interfere with anyones vacation. By that I am saying the pets will not be allowed to have cell phones with loud obnoxious ring tones, nor walkie talkies that intrude on everyone peace. They will not be allowed to ride "wheelies" and whiz by elderly passengers and those carrying items. As for the hot tubs, of course they will be expected to respect the rules of the ship.. And hanging out in the stairwells and running amouk in the halls will be banned.

Then we could all have a good time.

Oh, as for barking, well I've had a cabin with young kids haviing temper tamtrums next to be before as well as being up all night with an infant screaming next door......however, I think the pets may be more well behaved.

As for the "mess" set up a piece of astro turf on one of the back decks that will be hosed down a few times during the day and there will be no problems.

Dave:eek:

Cunards "Pets on Deck" service.

The enhancements, available only on the Queen Mary 2, includes adding a range of pet-friendly services and amenities such as fresh-baked biscuits at turn-down; a choice of beds and blankets; and even a QM2-logoed coat.

Queen Mary 2's kennel program is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of daily pet care responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship's 12 spacious kennels.

As part of the enhanced program, traveling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack featuring a QM2-logoed coat, Frisbee, name tag, food dish and scoop; a complimentary portrait with pet owners; a crossing certificate and personalized cruise card. Other pet perks include:

• extra comfortable pet beds in two sizes
  • healthy gourmet cookies for dogs and cats baked fresh daily and offered at bedtime
  • fleece blankets
  • assortment of dog and cat toys
  • cat posts and scratchers
  • selection of premium pet foods from top brands

The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling passengers to spend significant time with their pet. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. The kennel fee ranges from $300 to $500.

Cunard's tradition of accomodating pets dates back to the maiden voyage of the Britannia in 1840, when three cats were on board. Since then, circus elephants, canaries, a monkey and even a boa constrictor have traveled Cunard.

Mr. Ramshaw, the world's only trained golden eagle, made at least 21 transatlantic crossings on mid 20th-century liners; Rin-Tin-Tin, star of 36 silent films, traveled on the Berengaria; and Tom Mix and Tony, stars of the 1930's western series "Miracle Rider," regularly trotted up the gangway. (Tony's hooves were even fitted with special rubber shoes to prevent the horse from slipping.)

In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor brought her pampered puppies on board the original Queen Mary and exercised them regularly on the ship's sports deck. She even ordered special meals for them from the fish chef. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor also traveled with a beloved pup and, at the Duke's behest, Cunard installed a lamp post beside the kennels.

http://cruiseislandtravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/taking_your_dog_on_a_cruise

Cunards "Pets on Deck" service.

The enhancements, available only on the Queen Mary 2, includes adding a range of pet-friendly services and amenities such as fresh-baked biscuits at turn-down; a choice of beds and blankets; and even a QM2-logoed coat.

Queen Mary 2's kennel program is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of daily pet care responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship's 12 spacious kennels.

As part of the enhanced program, traveling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack featuring a QM2-logoed coat, Frisbee, name tag, food dish and scoop; a complimentary portrait with pet owners; a crossing certificate and personalized cruise card. Other pet perks include:

• extra comfortable pet beds in two sizes
  • healthy gourmet cookies for dogs and cats baked fresh daily and offered at bedtime
  • fleece blankets
  • assortment of dog and cat toys
  • cat posts and scratchers
  • selection of premium pet foods from top brands

The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling passengers to spend significant time with their pet. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. The kennel fee ranges from $300 to $500.

Cunard's tradition of accomodating pets dates back to the maiden voyage of the Britannia in 1840, when three cats were on board. Since then, circus elephants, canaries, a monkey and even a boa constrictor have traveled Cunard.

Mr. Ramshaw, the world's only trained golden eagle, made at least 21 transatlantic crossings on mid 20th-century liners; Rin-Tin-Tin, star of 36 silent films, traveled on the Berengaria; and Tom Mix and Tony, stars of the 1930's western series "Miracle Rider," regularly trotted up the gangway. (Tony's hooves were even fitted with special rubber shoes to prevent the horse from slipping.)

In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor brought her pampered puppies on board the original Queen Mary and exercised them regularly on the ship's sports deck. She even ordered special meals for them from the fish chef. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor also traveled with a beloved pup and, at the Duke's behest, Cunard installed a lamp post beside the kennels.

http://cruiseislandtravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/taking_your_dog_on_a_cruise

Wow, that's less than I pay to have my 16 lb. bichon frise (much cuter and more well behaved than most my children) boarded for a week.

I sent my dog to a "doggie day camp". It was the size of a gym. Why not have one on board? The dogs wouldn't bother anyone but themselves.

Bring in the SHARKS.Why waste the boards with this nonsense.

Bring in the SHARKS.Why waste the boards with this nonsense.

Boy...We love our dog but not worth $300. on a 7 day cruise.(I suppose if you're relocating for a long while it's one good way to get your pet accross the big pond) Love my grandkids too, would rather both be elsewhere while on long trip. I realize if we can't get one or another of our children to dogsit we'll be paying for a kennel, (he loved it the only time we took him to one). It'd be his own fault cause he's kinda worn out his welcome at all 3 of my kids. (He's the Napi of whom I'm Mom to, a Siberian Huskey, and anyone that knows the Breed will understand!!!) Kennels can be expensive but I think ours can be had for about $200 for 14 days !(She even said a "Doggie suite" was only a couple bucks more!):D

I saw an advertisement from Pets Mart that they run an animal hotel. All the comforts of home including a T.V. Would need to bring it up on the web for locations and price, although I bet it would cost as much or higher then the price of a cruise.

Macarthur was a 'Hush puppy' model. Unfortunately Amelia ( age 7 ) died of kidney failure due to a vet who thought her children were more important than her job ( she is NO LONGER a vet thanks to me :) ). Lindbergh was the first born from the first litter ( He has Greg Louganis as a 'godfather' ), next is Flash. Flash was from the second litter. he was sold to a wonderful couple that were transferred out of state due to employment issues and could not take Flash with them...I bought him back at the price I sold him for. SIX YEARS LATER I get a phone call from the 'mom' of Droopy. her husband had died, she was losing her home and had to move in with her son.....NO DOGS in his condo. I did the same as I did with Flash, and bought him back from her. We also 'babysit for anyone who bought a puppy and needs a vacation at NO CHARGE.

Okay off my soap box. I also have an AMAZON YELLOW NAPE which screams 'Help' , 'Stop", and 'NO!' because he was rescued from a home where the husband abused the wife. ( interesting stories on this one), a new sulpher crested cockatoo that has picked out MOST of her feathers because her owners dropped her off at a pet store and never reclaimed her..( Zena is doing better now. She has a few feathers on each wing and has all her tail feathers, but still picks a little ).

AND Livingston, the cat. He was adopted at a young age because his mother would not take care of him. AMELIA took him in with Lindbergh and nursed him with the puppies. He now thinks he's a dog:D . Unfortunately he kills and eats squirrels and 'possum, and anything else he can catch ( except the parrots, he's scared of them ).

So while it may seem funny to mess with the fact that people have pets ( thowing them to sharks. etc......), its not really funny. Its actually pretty lame.

But in all fairness, I hate kids. Unless they are raised properly, tenderized and broiled with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fava beans and a good Chianti help to wash them down.

Dave:eek:

Archived