Is October too late for whale watching in Bar Harbor?

Kelge

I have always wanted to go whale watching. I've signed up for the excursion, but I was reading another thread elsewhere on CC and now I am concerned that it is too late in the season to see whales in this area. Does anyone know? Do they refund your money (or some) if you see nothing? :confused:

I have always wanted to go whale watching. I've signed up for the excursion, but I was reading another thread elsewhere on CC and now I am concerned that it is too late in the season to see whales in this area. Does anyone know? Do they refund your money (or some) if you see nothing? :confused:
It is probably too late in the season. As I posted in another thread, whale watching is best in July and August, and peak fall folliage is best in late September and into October, but you can't have both.

Here's a neat fall foliage webpage if you're coming to Maine. It tells you where/when the leaves are at their peak of color. The coast is still "moderate".

http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/

Regarding whale watching... the season goes until the end of October. If there weren't whales to see then, they wouldn't operate during that time. Whether you see whales will depend more on the weather the day you go out than anything else. Remember, also, that the Gulf Of Maine is COLD... that makes being on the water cold. Dress appropriately! Even in the middle of summer we always have a jacket/coat and long pants when we go out on the water. If you're not used to chilly weather, you'll feel cold so be prepared!

I lived in Maine for most of my life... and have been on many whale watch's out of Bar Harbor. As a previous poster said... dress warmly!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a crap shoot for seeing whales, but I (honestly) have never had a problem. As to them issuing refunds for not seeing any whales... depends on the company.

Have a great trip. Whales are so beautiful and just amazing to see up close.

We just returned from a trip on the Grand Princess. We had signed up for the whale watching excursion but it was cancelled as it was very foggy the day we were there. However, we did go on a Nature Cruise that as sold right at the pier where your tender docks. It was pretty good. Even though it was still quite foggy we were able to see alot. Cruised along the coast a little bit and then around some of the islands there. Saw some seals and porpoises. As someone else suggested, dress warmly as is was quite cold on the water.

We had a great day in Bar Harbor. We took the one hour Olli's Trolley tour. It took us to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Got a great view from up up there. Then we walked around Bar Harbor for a bit and then went down to the pier to meet our tour. Found out it was cancelled and then just went into the Nature Cruises office and bought that tour.

...Regarding whale watching... the season goes until the end of October. If there weren't whales to see then, they wouldn't operate during that time. Whether you see whales will depend more on the weather the day you go out than anything else. Remember, also, that the Gulf Of Maine is COLD... that makes being on the water cold. Dress appropriately! Even in the middle of summer we always have a jacket/coat and long pants when we go out on the water. If you're not used to chilly weather, you'll feel cold so be prepared!

THANK YOU! Hope we see some. I wonder if with the weather being so toasty up here in the east lately if that will help?

Thanks. You are right. Why run it without the potential for whales? That would be poor customer relations LOL! I have always wanted to go whale watching. *Fingers crossed*

We just returned from a trip on the Grand Princess. We had signed up for the whale watching excursion but it was cancelled as it was very foggy the day we were there. However, we did go on a Nature Cruise that as sold right at the pier where your tender docks. It was pretty good. Even though it was still quite foggy we were able to see alot. Cruised along the coast a little bit and then around some of the islands there. Saw some seals and porpoises. As someone else suggested, dress warmly as is was quite cold on the water.

We had a great day in Bar Harbor. We took the one hour Olli's Trolley tour. It took us to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Got a great view from up up there. Then we walked around Bar Harbor for a bit and then went down to the pier to meet our tour. Found out it was cancelled and then just went into the Nature Cruises office and bought that tour.

Well that would be cool, too. EXCELLENT! Sorry you missed out on the tour. STINKS!

"I wonder if with the weather being so toasty up here in the east lately if that will help?"

I doubt it... even though the air temps have been higher than normal for this time of year, the water temps haven't been effected. Our night temps are now down in the 30's. Fall is definitely here! :)

Archived