Anytime Dining

jswrpw83

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. I just confirmed with my TA that I have Main Seating, traditional dining, and a big table. I will probably be seeing some of the Anytime Diners around later in the evening and will let everyone know how it went for them. Shoot, I hope it works well for them and doesn't have any impact on the traditional diners. It's always nice to have more choices along with the same quality service :D

:)

Joan -- you are going so soon that we will look forward to your feedback. I think your sailing is the first one for the trial.

What justification????? Have they tried this on RCCL? I think not. Also, because some folks on CC don't like the idea of trying something new and different doesn't mean the other 3,000,000 annual RCCL cruisers agree.

How many Princess cruises have you been on?

Sorry, but I also think this is justified. I have experienced it on NCL and it doesn't work well, especially if you are traveling with more than 4 people in your group. For couples, it may be fine. We didn't care for the waiting or the fact that you DO NOT get to know your waitstaff nor they you. This cuts the level of service down DRAMATICALLY. If you're ok with that, then more power to ya. But I personally feel that the dining experience is well worth keeping traditional. If you don't want to use the main dining room at your reserved time, you already have an anytime option...it's called the Windjammer. :)

I would absoluely try it. The way RCCL is doing it is the right way - they are dedicating one floor of the dining room to Anytime and two floors to traditional.

That should mean no waits since more people want traditional.

We prefer Anytime because we don't have to rush back from excursions to shower and get to the dining room at an assigned time.

In fact, we are doing two Princess cruises next year and part of the reason is the Anytime Dining. Be open minded and try it - you might never want to go back to traditional.

I completely agree with you. We are trying Anytime on Freedom 11/25/07. We originally had 8:30 seating, our TA contacted us with the option for Anytime. My husband and I hate having to rush after an excursion or get off the deck before we are really ready to get ready for early seating. We are always late too, so that is why we originally picked late seating. We are travelling with both of our parents, and they weren't thrilled about 8:30 seating, so this seemed like a good compromise. We just realize there may be kinks, and we'll take it with a grain of salt! We aren't really into the shows, don't necessarily need to have a relationship with a waiter, and we really want to just enjoy each other's company. If we get seated with new folks every night, that's fine by us. It's just going to take a little planning if we want to hit and show, but otherwise go with the flow, that's the best way to vacation for me!

I hope everyone has a great time whatever they choose!

Have experienced it on Princess; OK but still not as good as traditional (and BTW, Princess always has a waitlist for the traditional room, when offered). On NCL, barely adequate. And, just off Azamara - confusion, delays, rushed waiters, no longer a relaxed dining experience.

Wow! This is the first I heard about anytime dining on RCCL

Not sure if I would like it, I think if we were given a choice, we might opt for it. Both of my adult kids, 23 and 25 will be cruising with us in Feb 08 on the Radiance of the Seas, our first RCCL, they have been on NCL and loved the choice of times and restaurants and we had almost booked NCL so maybe we would try it.

I really like traditional. But, I am always us for a change !

Happy Cruising !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Freedom's first cruise trying Anytime Dining. However, I'm a disappointment to all you interested in the experiment. I had main seating, and we had a wonder table of guests with a great waiter (Albert) and assistant waiter (Fei). We had three port days--and I often asked fellow cruisers if they were trying the open seating but I failed to find anyone who was. Our service was fast, only felt a bit rushed the night all waiters had to sing, and the quality of our food was a definite improvement over our last RCI cruise and equal to or better than our Celebrity cruise. Our waiter spent quite some time with our table entertaining the teenagers with magic tricks. We felt like we were the only table he had! I hope it went well for those who tried open seating, but I can say that there was no impact on our service or food quality!

I'm back from Freedom's first cruise trying Anytime Dining. However, I'm a disappointment to all you interested in the experiment. I had main seating, and we had a wonder table of guests with a great waiter (Albert) and assistant waiter (Fei). We had three port days--and I often asked fellow cruisers if they were trying the open seating but I failed to find anyone who was. Our service was fast, only felt a bit rushed the night all waiters had to sing, and the quality of our food was a definite improvement over our last RCI cruise and equal to or better than our Celebrity cruise. Our waiter spent quite some time with our table entertaining the teenagers with magic tricks. We felt like we were the only table he had! I hope it went well for those who tried open seating, but I can say that there was no impact on our service or food quality!

Maybe hardly any people actually signed up for anytime????

Maybe hardly any people actually signed up for anytime????
A thread started by a returning passenger stated that about 1/2 of deck 5 was used for anytime dining. Originally, RCI was going to use the entire deck 5. Don't know if this will be true for future sailings or only was true to ensure a smooth rollout of the test. I also remember from previous discussions about this experimental option, that the RCI person in charge of contacting passengers to offer them anytime dining was having a hard time selling it.

We just returned also from the 10/07 Freedom cruise.

We were seated on deck 5 dining room early seating. From what i understood they were using the left side of the deck 5 dining room for anytime dining.

We went up early to check our table which was a table for 8 (which we like) but it was up against a wall so half the people would only be looking at a wall so we had the table changed to a 4 person which ended up on the other side of the dining room.

I do not know how they seated people for the anytime. I question if we kept the original table and it was not full (there were 4 of us) would they seat "anytime" people with us. I would hate to be half way thru my meal and then have people seated with us.

My understanding was you had to make a reservation for time and you would have that time every night unless you went up and changed it.

On our side - which was not supposed to be anytime, we had a table for 8 beside of us with 2 people sitting at it and every night 3 women came in and sat there at exactly 7:00pm. I do not know if this was anytime or just late people. It just seemed strange that it was at the same time every night. We also had another table with 2 people at it and 2 more would come at exactly 6:30.

There were lines each night at the anytime station but not long, however, this was at 6:00pm as we had Main seating.

I really hope this does not go Fleet wide. I do know if it does I do not want to be on the same level as the anytime dining.

We just returned also from the 10/07 Freedom cruise.

We were seated on deck 5 dining room early seating. From what i understood they were using the left side of the deck 5 dining room for anytime dining.

We went up early to check our table which was a table for 8 (which we like) but it was up against a wall so half the people would only be looking at a wall so we had the table changed to a 4 person which ended up on the other side of the dining room.

I do not know how they seated people for the anytime. I question if we kept the original table and it was not full (there were 4 of us) would they seat "anytime" people with us. I would hate to be half way thru my meal and then have people seated with us.

My understanding was you had to make a reservation for time and you would have that time every night unless you went up and changed it.

On our side - which was not supposed to be anytime, we had a table for 8 beside of us with 2 people sitting at it and every night 3 women came in and sat there at exactly 7:00pm. I do not know if this was anytime or just late people. It just seemed strange that it was at the same time every night. We also had another table with 2 people at it and 2 more would come at exactly 6:30.

There were lines each night at the anytime station but not long, however, this was at 6:00pm as we had Main seating.

I really hope this does not go Fleet wide. I do know if it does I do not want to be on the same level as the anytime dining.

Pat -- thanks for the description. It really sounded a bit disjointed. I also fervently hope it does not go Fleet wide. Did you put your feelings about not wanting to be on the same level as anytime or your general impression of anytime on your comment card?

We are on FOS in Feb. and if the experiment continues, we will ask for a table change if we are on deck 5 (if that is where they are seating anytime diners).

Pat -- thanks for the description. It really sounded a bit disjointed. I also fervently hope it does not go Fleet wide. Did you put your feelings about not wanting to be on the same level as anytime or your general impression of anytime on your comment card?

We are on FOS in Feb. and if the experiment continues, we will ask for a table change if we are on deck 5 (if that is where they are seating anytime diners).

What exactly sounded disjointed, the posters comments or anytime dining?

What exactly sounded disjointed, the posters comments or anytime dining?
the description of the tables which sounded like they might have been mixed with diners arriving at different times but being seated at the same tabel. Of course, we don't know if they were really anytime or folks who were just late. If they were anytime folks, it sounded from Pat's report as if they were mixing anytime and traditional in the same section of the dining room. Some posters on a thread about the cruise said that they anytime folks were being seated in a similar manner to open seating for breakfast or lunch but this poster was traditional so this report is somewhat hearsay. I think it will be interesting to see further reports from the next couple sailings, especially from folks who tried anytime.

the description of the tables which sounded like they might have been mixed with diners arriving at different times but being seated at the same tabel. Of course, we don't know if they were really anytime or folks who were just late. If they were anytime folks, it sounded from Pat's report as if they were mixing anytime and traditional in the same section of the dining room. I think it will be interesting to see further reports from the next couple sailings.

It will be interesting to see future reports, but you can't honestly believe they were mixing tables with traditional with anytime. Also, anytime had to make reservations for the same time each night? Come on.

It will be interesting to see future reports, but you can't honestly believe they were mixing tables with traditional with anytime. Also, anytime had to make reservations for the same time each night? Come on.

That was the way it was advertised when they started - you had to make a reservation for the time you wanted dinner. The only difference between "early" and "late" seating is that you can choose the time you want to eat, but you have to stick to that. Essentially, make a reservation...

I too, am still of the opinion that there is already anytime dining - it's called the Windjammer. And I also fervently hope that it does not go fleet wide.

Fran in Toronto

Unfortunately, I can't agree. First of all, we like to eat when we want - hate being regimented, reminds me of boarding school!!

Secondly, we cannot get early dining on one of our cruises. Since for medical reasons, we cannot eat late, we will have to eat in the Buffet. So, although we are paying the same as everyone else, we are in effect at the moment, barred from using the Dining Room!! This cannot be right!! Each and every cruiser should have the right to eat in the Dining Room. We like to dress-up on formal nights and most in the buffet don't, so we will feel a little out of place. In fact, we are considering cancelling the cruise because of this Dining problem!!

For those who like Traditional - its REMAINING - so why begrudge others who wish to choose their Dining time in the facility for which they have paid just like everyone else:confused: ??

The interesting fact is that the upscale cruise lines have anytime Dining!! I don't like Traditional, but I am perfectly happy for it to be offered to those who do, so why do those people not want others to be offered their choice - I JUST DON'T GET IT GUYS!!!!! :(

I have no problem with making reservations - I do it at home and when I am on holiday, so I have no problem with doing it on a cruise. Even the 'phone call is free!!:D (In the UK we pay for local calls!:eek:)

Unfortunately, I can't agree. First of all, we like to eat when we want - hate being regimented, reminds me of boarding school!!

Secondly, we cannot get early dining on one of our cruises. Since for medical reasons, we cannot eat late, we will have to eat in the Buffet. So, although we are paying the same as everyone else, we are in effect at the moment, barred from using the Dining Room!! This cannot be right!! Each and every cruiser should have the right to eat in the Dining Room. We like to dress-up on formal nights and most in the buffet don't, so we will feel a little out of place. In fact, we are considering cancelling the cruise because of this Dining problem!!

For those who like Traditional - its REMAINING - so why begrudge others who wish to choose their Dining time in the facility for which they have paid just like everyone else:confused: ??

The interesting fact is that the upscale cruise lines have anytime Dining!! I don't like Traditional, but I am perfectly happy for it to be offered to those who do, so why do those people not want others to be offered their choice - I JUST DON'T GET IT GUYS!!!!! :(

I have no problem with making reservations - I do it at home and when I am on holiday, so I have no problem with doing it on a cruise. Even the 'phone call is free!!:D (In the UK we pay for local calls!:eek:)

Generally if you have a medical reason for needing early dining you will be accomodated. All you need is a physicians note.

Go read a review of last week's Freedom cruise. This is what was reported.

If you have a genuine medical reason for needing early seating, contact the special needs department at RCI (the email address is on their website) and they will accomodate you. If you are still waitlisted by the time of your sailing, bring your Dr's note or other evidence of your medical reason directly to the maitre-d, and he will switch your seating. No problem.

I'm sorry you don't get why us traditionalists dont want the personal choice option at all. Even if traditional seating is remaining, the fact that there is anytime on the ship changes the entire atmosphere aboard the ship and the entire cruising experience for everyone.

I remain amongst those who hope this trial fails miserably. We are loyal to RCI because they have been loyal to traditional dining.

After reading the postings of folks who experienced the Anytime ...... I want traditional. I want to be able to eat at approx. the same time, with tablemates we have something in common with (RCCL does an excellent job in putting the tables together) and I want a waitstaff that knows I like ice tea with my dinner the minute I sit down.

Breakfast and lunch 'anytime' is a mad scramble enough for me! We don't know who we'll be sitting with, when we'll be served - they usually wait for a table to be full before they take orders; and I like to get off the ship at the end of a cruise feeling like I've met and got to know new friends.

After reading the postings of folks who experienced the Anytime ...... I want traditional. I want to be able to eat at approx. the same time, with tablemates we have something in common with (RCCL does an excellent job in putting the tables together) and I want a waitstaff that knows I like ice tea with my dinner the minute I sit down.

Breakfast and lunch 'anytime' is a mad scramble enough for me! We don't know who we'll be sitting with, when we'll be served - they usually wait for a table to be full before they take orders; and I like to get off the ship at the end of a cruise feeling like I've met and got to know new friends.

Exactly how we feel. Amen

You've been mighty lucky.

This is really interesting reading. It seems alot of past Carnival cruisers are getting phone calls from Gallup poll regarding dining on their ships. The questions are asking if they would prefer anytime, traditional, less formal nights etc. My question to you guys is did you receive polls such as this before they tried the anytime dining? Sounds like they may be trying it on Carnival in the future.

Where you there? - Reservations were required on our last NCL cruise as well - unless you chose "anytime" in their gymnasium restaurant on the Dawn.

This is really interesting reading. It seems alot of past Carnival cruisers are getting phone calls from Gallup poll regarding dining on their ships. The questions are asking if they would prefer anytime, traditional, less formal nights etc. My question to you guys is did you receive polls such as this before they tried the anytime dining? Sounds like they may be trying it on Carnival in the future.
That's the first time I heard about a poll.

Archived