Anytime Dining

jswrpw83

I'm sailing on Freedom, October 7th. Does anybody know how the Anytime Dining works? I've heard some negative comments about anytime dining on other cruise lines. It's just myself and my DD, and although she loves the dining room experience, I know she won't want to wait forever for a table to fill before we even start the dinner. Are there typically delays to be seated? Do you just get put with the people who were next to you in line to fill a table? And, does it take longer to eat since the waiters don't know what your nightly requests are--like the fact that you order iced tea every night? Any help appreciated--:)

I'm sailing on Freedom, October 7th. Does anybody know how the Anytime Dining works? I've heard some negative comments about anytime dining on other cruise lines. It's just myself and my DD, and although she loves the dining room experience, I know she won't want to wait forever for a table to fill before we even start the dinner. Are there typically delays to be seated? Do you just get put with the people who were next to you in line to fill a table? And, does it take longer to eat since the waiters don't know what your nightly requests are--like the fact that you order iced tea every night? Any help appreciated--:)

Your cruise and several after it are "test runs" for anytime dining on RCCL. So unfortunately no one can tell you how this is working or how they are doing it. None of us know how this will differ or be the same from other cruise lines. Your cruise MAY be the first one trying this, I am not positive.

Also, you should not have been assigned to anytime dining unless you specifically requested it. We received an email from RC inviting us to change to anytime, and we declined the invitation.

If you are leery of how it will work (as many, many people are, with much justification) call RC and make sure you are assigned a traditional dining time. If they won't give you a traditional dining time, please come back here and let us know, as this will be the first sign that they are going to have the same problems as Princess does, with more people wanting traditional dining than are allowed to have it.

Also' date=' you should not have been assigned to anytime dining unless you specifically requested it. We received an email from RC inviting us to change to anytime, and we declined the invitation.

If you are leery of how it will work (as many, many people are, with much justification) call RC and make sure you are assigned a traditional dining time. If they won't give you a traditional dining time, please come back here and let us know, as this will be the first sign that they are going to have the same problems as Princess does, with more people wanting traditional dining than are allowed to have it.[/quote']

I checked my reservations and I have been assigned Main Seating, so I think I'll keep it and see how we like that time. We've always had Late Seating which allowed us to have a small snack after returning from port, then a shower and nap before dressing for dinner. But this time I think my daughter will be more interested in hanging out with other young teens in the evenings!

I will let you know what I hear from other pax about anytime dining;)

Also' date=' you should not have been assigned to anytime dining unless you specifically requested it. We received an email from RC inviting us to change to anytime, and we declined the invitation.

If you are leery of how it will work (as many, many people are, with much justification) call RC and make sure you are assigned a traditional dining time. If they won't give you a traditional dining time, please come back here and let us know, as this will be the first sign that they are going to have the same problems as Princess does, with more people wanting traditional dining than are allowed to have it.

What justification????? Have they tried this on RCCL? I think not. Also, because some folks on CC don't like the idea of trying something new and different doesn't mean the other 3,000,000 annual RCCL cruisers agree.

How many Princess cruises have you been on?

I would love to have someone who has done anytime dining on RCCL to post about their experience. From reading about other cruise line's AD, the issues are related to getting a reservation time, and long waits for tables. But not everyone has had problems with it. It seems to me that if it is well organized, it might be a good alternative to the dining room.

I do love the traditional DR experience, but I am also open to new things. I might give it a try, but I would love to hear what other people thought about it.

but...

Yup, been there, done that.

When the Dining rooms open for anytime seating: It is a cattle call!

When lines form becuase no tables are ready: Remember the scene where the farmers with torches and pitchfolks were ready to climb the mountain to get Frankenstein? Same mentality.

Go for it JEKA, take your best shot! :-))

I would love to have someone who has done anytime dining on RCCL to post about their experience. From reading about other cruise line's AD, the issues are related to getting a reservation time, and long waits for tables. But not everyone has had problems with it. It seems to me that if it is well organized, it might be a good alternative to the dining room.

I do love the traditional DR experience, but I am also open to new things. I might give it a try, but I would love to hear what other people thought about it.

Well put, it's nice to see some people on this board are willing to give it a try.

Just for your info, a month ago or so I asked the question about flexible dining on another cruies line's board and there was not 1 negative response. People wanting to dine during the busiest times had very short waits, not enough to finish a glass of wine. Perhaps we won't like it on RCCL, but I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Think that later in October as the trial progresses, there will be threads on how the test is working. And people who try the open dining will post about their experiences. If no thread appears, folks who are interested in this issue should start one.

We have done anytime on Princess. There are a couple of things we did not like. We enjoy meeting people and getting to know them. Its fun to hear what they did that day and where they have been before. With anytime its hi ? first cruise? etc. And most people rush thru meals more quickly as they are off to do other things.

If you do choose anytime or even a dinner in one of the alternative restaurants. Unless you have dinner times that are close to the traditional dining hours, you end up missing a lot of functions and entertainment. For frequent cruisers this may not be a big deal as they have been there done that. So when we book the alternate restaurants we always request 8:30 pm as that is our usual late seating dinner time. That way we can still choose whether or not to see the show, go to the captains party or whatever.

but...

Yup, been there, done that.

When the Dining rooms open for anytime seating: It is a cattle call!

When lines form becuase no tables are ready: Remember the scene where the farmers with torches and pitchfolks were ready to climb the mountain to get Frankenstein? Same mentality.

Go for it JEKA, take your best shot! :-))

There will be no wrath!

A bit confused about your post. When do the lines form, at the "cattle call" or later in the evening when tables aren't ready? What cruise line was it that was so horrible?

The only point I'm trying to make is let's not condemn it before RCCL has a chance to check it out. Most of their competitors are now offering it and it is a plus to a lot of people. RCCL is marketing to a younger more active group who want more flexibility in their scheduling. Let's see how the test goes before jumping to conclusions. Is that too much to ask?

What justification????? Have they tried this on RCCL? I think not. Also, because some folks on CC don't like the idea of trying something new and different doesn't mean the other 3,000,000 annual RCCL cruisers agree.

We sailed 5 times BEFORE they went with anytime, It came time to book the 6th one and we were 13 months out, couldn't get traditional dining as it was all booked already and they told us the wait list was huge so it was highly doubtful if we would get it. We canceled that cruise and haven't been back with them since. That is my biggest fear that we won't get the type we want!

We sailed 5 times BEFORE they went with anytime, It came time to book the 6th one and we were 13 months out, couldn't get traditional dining as it was all booked already and they told us the wait list was huge so it was highly doubtful if we would get it. We canceled that cruise and haven't been back with them since.

Actually, I wasn't questioning your earlier response. You haven't prejudged the RCCL experiment.

I just got off the Diamond Princess and did anytime dining. I did not have to wait at all. In some of the restaurants there was a delay if you wanted your own table but the one night that happened we shared and had a nice dinner conversation. On our previous princess cruise we had a great time meeting new people each night. Whereas on Celebrity with traditional dining we had to switch tables because of either very slow table mates (causing us to be late for the show) or politically rude table mates.

In otherwards both dining options have their merits. Having done both and having good experiences both ways. I lean to the anytime because I don't have to feel like I am rushed to make a schedule and I actually get to meet new people or I can take people I have met and remeet if so desired.

I just got off the Diamond Princess and did anytime dining. I did not have to wait at all. In some of the restaurants there was a delay if you wanted your own table but the one night that happened we shared and had a nice dinner conversation. On our previous princess cruise we had a great time meeting new people each night. Whereas on Celebrity with traditional dining we had to switch tables because of either very slow table mates (causing us to be late for the show) or politically rude table mates.

In otherwards both dining options have their merits. Having done both and having good experiences both ways. I lean to the anytime because I don't have to feel like I am rushed to make a schedule and I actually get to meet new people or I can take people I have met and remeet if so desired.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

There will be no wrath!

A bit confused about your post. When do the lines form, at the "cattle call" or later in the evening when tables aren't ready? What cruise line was it that was so horrible?

The only point I'm trying to make is let's not condemn it before RCCL has a chance to check it out. Most of their competitors are now offering it and it is a plus to a lot of people. RCCL is marketing to a younger more active group who want more flexibility in their scheduling. Let's see how the test goes before jumping to conclusions. Is that too much to ask?

Yes.

Some days, the only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions! ;) :p ;) :eek: :D

We had anytime dining on Sapphire Princess 2 years ago and loved it. We never had a problem walking right in when we decided to go to dinner. Enjoyed it much more then having a set time. I do not like set times for anything when on vacation, like to do things at our own leisure. We just make sure were on the ship on time.

My biggest complaint with traditional dining are the times. 6PM is too early and 8:30 too late. We usually take late seating as the lesser of two evils. In Nov we are going on our first Princess cruise and will get to experience Anytime Dining. Don't know how we will like it. Although, for this cruise it will probably work out. We are part of a group of 16. I know we won't all be able to sit together and some may opt to eat earlier or later, but we will go in grops. So the idea of meeting new folks does not enter into the equation.

My understanding ,from reading lots of posts, is that it is just like dining at a fine restaurant at home. Depends on when you go, the size of your party, whether or not you have to wait.

I am not too sure if it will work well on RCI ships with their huge dining rooms versus the 3 or 4 dining rooms on Princess ships.

Time and the comment cards will tell.

We took one Princess cruise (it was OK overall) and had traditional dining - thank GOD, as we were travelling with elderly relatives, and when we checked out the lines to get into the anytime dining room, it looked like it was going to be an hour to get everyone seated. I just can't imagine that DH's 80+ aunt and uncle (YES, RC MARKETS TO FAMILY GROUPS, SO THERE ARE OLDER PEOPLE ON BOARD) would be able to wait in line like that.

I very much hope that RC is able to aleviate the problems with anytime dining that Princess has (mentioned up thread by other posters), but I still wouldn't want to be "experimented on" as part of my vacation so they can work out the kinks.

Also, Jeka, are you booked on one of the Freedom cruises that will feature anytime dining? I'm a little sick of people who aren't booked on those sailings (I am booked on the 10/21) dismissing the concerns of those who will be on the ship and accusing us of now wanting to try new things. If you are so eager to try new things, I know there are still cabins available for 10/21 - why don't you come with us, do the anytime dining, and then come back here and report?

I'm wondering if the lines that some have seen are caused by those refusing anything other than a table for 2, or the larger groups? I would expect a wait for those. If you're willing to share a table, there should, in theory at least, be less wait.

I've done it on Princess and liked it. There was at least one "Anytime" dining room that was closed to Anytime 'early seating' because they took in the Traditionals that had been on the waiting list and did not want Anytime. Not a bad solution, as there were other DRs to go to, and we never had to wait. Also helped to appease those who REALLY DIDN'T WANT Anytime. Kudos to Princess for this compromise, with very little impact to the Anytime crowd.

The comment about 'waiting forever' for the table to fill up and begin... a good wait staff should know when to cut it off and start serving. I think there may be waits on RC if they don't have as many DRs, but, again, depending on your specific request, you may have to wait.

My biggest complaint with traditional dining are the times. 6PM is too early and 8:30 too late. We usually take late seating as the lesser of two evils.

I'm with you! Six is too early and 8:30 is too late. I am going to stick with my early dining at least for the first night. We had a great dining experience on our first cruise because we were a big group all at one table. The second cruise, conversation was forced with a family that doted on their ill-behaved child (I'm a mother of three, so don't kill me: it just didn't make for much in the way of conversation). The last cruise we were seated at a table of lovely people from Quebec but my high school French was miserably inadequate. If possible, we'll try a night of anytime dining just to see how it works!

Again, I'll let you know after I return.

Cattle calls are the line up at 6 pm and 8:15 pm. If you try to go to anytime at 7-7:20 there will be a wait but other times you usually walk in. During the course of the cruise if we meet people we like we usually make plans to meet for dinner sometime later during the cruise.

Archived