Anytime Dining

jswrpw83

I also did not like anytime on Princess. Our wait times were long and we didn't get to meet the number of people as we did on RCI. One of the formal evenings we gave up and had room service and it was on my birthday. Lousy. I also felt VERY rushed on anytime. The waiter was removing the course as soon as I laid down my soup spoon. Meals took about 35 minutes on the average. I might as well have gone to fast food place. Not saying the food wasn't good, it was but I rush around at home and do not like it on a cruise.I did not feel this way in fixed dining.Just my opinion. I figure if I order a nice bootle of wine with dinner I should be allowed to sit and sip, you know? Kathi

My complaint about anytime dining is the poor service and long waits.

On NCL what should take less than 2 hours would drag out to 3 or more hours. The waiters were constantly going to and from the kitchen as their tables had people coming and going at different times.

Princess anytime service was way better than NCL but no where near the perfection of RCI or Celebrity.

Hopefully the experiment will fail so the RCI standards will not be dragged down as were NCL, Princess and HAL.

Wow, how many cruises on each line did you experience this on and when??????

I would absoluely try it. The way RCCL is doing it is the right way - they are dedicating one floor of the dining room to Anytime and two floors to traditional.

That should mean no waits since more people want traditional.

We prefer Anytime because we don't have to rush back from excursions to shower and get to the dining room at an assigned time.

In fact, we are doing two Princess cruises next year and part of the reason is the Anytime Dining. Be open minded and try it - you might never want to go back to traditional.

I also did not like anytime on Princess. Our wait times were long and we didn't get to meet the number of people as we did on RCI. One of the formal evenings we gave up and had room service and it was on my birthday. Lousy. I also felt VERY rushed on anytime. The waiter was removing the course as soon as I laid down my soup spoon. Meals took about 35 minutes on the average. I might as well have gone to fast food place. Not saying the food wasn't good, it was but I rush around at home and do not like it on a cruise.I did not feel this way in fixed dining.Just my opinion. I figure if I order a nice bootle of wine with dinner I should be allowed to sit and sip, you know? Kathi

How many courses were served in 35 minutes?

I would absoluely try it. The way RCCL is doing it is the right way - they are dedicating one floor of the dining room to Anytime and two floors to traditional.

A major problem with this is that RC's kitchens are set up to have all of the first courses set out and ready at one time, then those are cleared off and all of the main courses are set out for the waiters. If waiters can be asking for anything at any time, the kitchen staff is going to go NUTS. Sure, sure, they'll "get used to it", but I SHUDDER to picture the chaos!

A major problem with this is that RC's kitchens are set up to have all of the first courses set out and ready at one time, then those are cleared off and all of the main courses are set out for the waiters. If waiters can be asking for anything at any time, the kitchen staff is going to go NUTS. Sure, sure, they'll "get used to it", but I SHUDDER to picture the chaos!

I agree...the kitchen will be in chaos and someone is going to suffer with slow service or cold food.

We survived anytime dining but were disappointed in the wait times and the service. We felt like we were an after thought....:confused: We won't do the anytime and if RCI institutes it and we feel we are suffering because of it we will choose another line to sail. We book early enough to get early seating but I have read where passengers have booked a year out and can't get traditional seating and are forced into anytime. I won't be told that I can't dine traditional or I am on a wait list.:mad:

That should mean no waits since more people want traditional.

We prefer Anytime because we don't have to rush back from excursions to shower and get to the dining room at an assigned time.

In fact, we are doing two Princess cruises next year and part of the reason is the Anytime Dining. Be open minded and try it - you might never want to go back to traditional.

Well said! Please do not knock it until you have tried it! RCI are obviously introducing this in response to customer feedback and requests.

I have cruised NCL several times and to be honest the 'Freestyle' dining is a winner for us - I really do not like fixed time dining - I do not eat at 6 or at 8:30 at home and I do not want to be 'forced' to eat at these times - I am on holiday! I also have no interest in building up a relationship with my waiter (or my table mates - sorry). Many people extol this as a benefit, claiming that the waiter knows your likes/dislikes and choice of drink - but as I had to tell my waiter every night on RCL 'No thanks to pepper' then I may as well tell a different waiter every night this fact!

On NCL there is a wide variety of restaurants catering for most tastes. The menus are on display so you can see what is in the dining room every night for your forthcoming cruise - then you can make yor selection of where to eat - yes, you have to book for some - but the food in all restaurants I found to be of a very high standard.

As for waiting in line - in the main dining room we asked for, and received a table for 2 every night - and mostly there was one by the window. We never waited more than 30 seconds to be seated. We dined around 7.45 each night. Each night you could have pleasantries with the waiter - where are you from, how long till you go home, how many children....etc....and because they are just serving you you can tell them when you would like your main course.

I also found the meals on RCL very rushed as they had to serve everyone at once. Perhaps it is a European thing to eat slower.....and relax over dinner.

NCL is set up for this sort of dining as the ships were built specifically for this - I can pick from French, Teppanyaki, Chinese, Mexican, Italian.....RCI simply just does not have the alternative venues [i do not consider the canteen-like atmosphere of the Windjammer to be a viable dining alternative!] - perhaps this is a test and Genesis will have a whole street of proper alternative dining choices!

Well said! Please do not knock it until you have tried it! RCI are obviously introducing this in response to customer feedback and requests.

I have cruised NCL several times and to be honest the 'Freestyle' dining is a winner for us - I really do not like fixed time dining - I do not eat at 6 or at 8:30 at home and I do not want to be 'forced' to eat at these times - I am on holiday! I also have no interest in building up a relationship with my waiter (or my table mates - sorry). Many people extol this as a benefit, claiming that the waiter knows your likes/dislikes and choice of drink - but as I had to tell my waiter every night on RCL 'No thanks to pepper' then I may as well tell a different waiter every night this fact!

On NCL there is a wide variety of restaurants catering for most tastes. The menus are on display so you can see what is in the dining room every night for your forthcoming cruise - then you can make yor selection of where to eat - yes, you have to book for some - but the food in all restaurants I found to be of a very high standard.

As for waiting in line - in the main dining room we asked for, and received a table for 2 every night - and mostly there was one by the window. We never waited more than 30 seconds to be seated. We dined around 7.45 each night. Each night you could have pleasantries with the waiter - where are you from, how long till you go home, how many children....etc....and because they are just serving you you can tell them when you would like your main course.

I also found the meals on RCL very rushed as they had to serve everyone at once. Perhaps it is a European thing to eat slower.....and relax over dinner.

NCL is set up for this sort of dining as the ships were built specifically for this - I can pick from French, Teppanyaki, Chinese, Mexican, Italian.....RCI simply just does not have the alternative venues [i do not consider the canteen-like atmosphere of the Windjammer to be a viable dining alternative!] - perhaps this is a test and Genesis will have a whole street of proper alternative dining choices!

From your post is seems as if you were happier cruising on NCL.:)

My husband is a Brit and despises anytime dining. RCI has Portofino and Chops....very nice restaurants though you do have to make a reservation and might not be able to dine at 7:45 each evening.;)

Many posters have said they might five "Anytime" dining a try one night and report back. This is not a good idea at all.

If RCCL lets you change from your assigned traditional time to anytime, you will actually be changing the anytime dynamic. You are not supposed to be amongst the people choosing anytime dining, so while you are being seated, someone is waiting for you. If a whole lot of people decide that they can just go to anytime, that time waiting is increased.

This will make it not work. Hopefully, RCCL will do this correctly and not allow anyone who is not asssigned to anytime to go in that dining room.

Happy cruising,

David

They don't inforce the dress code, or the no reserving of seats rule, or the no kids in the solarium rule. I am concerned that they will be very lax about turning traditional diners who want to give anytime dining a try for one or two nights away from the open seating room too.

Except that the industry trend is towards anytime dining. I am on vacation and i will eat whenever the mood suits me. That usually means somewhere between 7:30 and 9:30. In two consecutive days it might be each of those times. My waiter does not need to know who i am but in anytime if we find a pair we like we then ask for their area the rest of the cruise and always get accomodated regardless of the time.

By paying attention to the cruise comment cards the cruiselines will be able to adjust their services according to demand and everyone will be happy. Well, i would need them to not sing, no conga lines, and no theme nights to make me happy but hey, thats me! LOLOL

They don't inforce the dress code, or the no reserving of seats rule, or the no kids in the solarium rule. I am concerned that they will be very lax about turning traditional diners who want to give anytime dining a try for one or two nights away from the open seating room too.

I believe it's one or the other not a combo.

I just got off phone with RCCL and they explained to me (I sail 9/21) that this test is only for Main Seating and prepaid grat. is req. at booking. When I booked they told me as I have 2nd seating I could try out open dining. But this fella said no. So thats the story for today from RCCL.

I've heard folks remarking on other cruises that they were in traditional but missed their time or wanted flexibility that night in terms of time or who they were eating with. It likely does upset the load balancing. I don't think Princess turned them away. They do write down room numbers at the door though to keep track of who ate there. RC will likely have to have some policy to keep the anytime dining from being over run with traditional diners.

I just got off phone with RCCL and they explained to me (I sail 9/21) that this test is only for Main Seating and prepaid grat. is req. at booking. When I booked they told me as I have 2nd seating I could try out open dining. But this fella said no. So thats the story for today from RCCL.

I was assigned Main Dining for my cruise (10/07). Does this mean I automatically have open seating? Do all Main Dining assignments become Anytime Dining?

RCI hopefully will remove the large dining tables in the restaurant which will be used for anytime dining. This concept will not work properly with large tables. I don't care for the way traditional cruise lines handle open seating for lunch. The wait staff waits until the table is filled before taking orders and starting service. I would not want that kind of service for dinner. I also prefer not to dine with strangers. I can't wait to read the reviews of how the test cruises do with RCI anytime dining. It should be very interesting.

I have sailed on the NCL ships that were built specifically for Freestyle dining. They had smaller tables. Tables for two and four are most common. NCL never seats you with strangers unless you specifically tell them you want to be seated with strangers.

NCL ships have several smaller restaurants which offers and intimate dining experience. I would imagine RCI anytime dining will offer customers choice of time but they will not offer customers choice of atmosphere.

I agree.

I like to dine in an intimate atmosphere with only the people I want to dine with. I like to dine when I want to dine, when I'm hungry and when it is convenient for me. Why is that concept so objectionable to you?

edit: Just want to say that my quote did not properly get quoted. Oops.

Joan from what I understand from this forum and RCCL Rep. the Main dining time is testing the open seating BUT you have a choice to be Open or Not. Only 1 dining room of 3 will be OPEN and you should have been given a choice by now. You can call and ask RCCL even if you booked thru a TA as I did and they answered my questions. Other people also say a RCCL Rep called them to see if they wanted to switch to open seating.

I like to dine in an intimate atmosphere with only the people I want to dine with. I like to dine when I want to dine, when I'm hungry and when it is convenient for me. Why is that concept so objecionable to you?

Not sure Coffeebean, and I agree with you 100%

###

I was assigned Main Dining for my cruise (10/07). Does this mean I automatically have open seating? Do all Main Dining assignments become Anytime Dining?

No, main dining means you eat at the early dining time. You have to request the anytime dining, they aren't just assigning people.

I believe it's one or the other not a combo.

Exactly my point - but will RCI inforce this, or will they turn a blind eye at people who want to try open seating out for just one night (say a night they are in port later than usual) like they turn a blind eye to shorts in the dining room, kids in the solarium, chair hogs, etc. Their lack of enforcement of other rules doesn't make me feel confident that they will enforce this one.

We sailed 5 times BEFORE they went with anytime, It came time to book the 6th one and we were 13 months out, couldn't get traditional dining as it was all booked already and they told us the wait list was huge so it was highly doubtful if we would get it. We canceled that cruise and haven't been back with them since. That is my biggest fear that we won't get the type we want!

We have sailed on Princess and were forced into anytime. My question is: If people are booking 13 months out, and are being told that traditional is waitlisted with over 300 people, why doesn't Princess reallocate the space to accomodate the wishes of their booked passengers? If it were a truly customer oriented dining plan, you would think that they would work to accomodate the passengers desires.

All we got was sorry, you are wait listed. Too bad.

The cruise lines can accomodate everyone if they simply didn't force it on everyone.

They can leave one floor for Anytime and the rest for the traditional diners as RCCL is trying. The problem with the way some lines do it is that Princess is forcing people into by having the majority of their dining rooms dedicated to Anytime instead of doing it the other way around.

NCL just doesn't have it scheduled well to avoid waits. While they are now adding screens throughout the ships telling what dining rooms have waits and which don't, they need to have larger rooms or need to set up the table differently to avoid the waits they have on some ships at the most popular times.

Better planning, especially on new ships, can leave all of us satisfied.

Joan from what I understand from this forum and RCCL Rep. the Main dining time is testing the open seating BUT you have a choice to be Open or Not. Only 1 dining room of 3 will be OPEN and you should have been given a choice by now. You can call and ask RCCL even if you booked thru a TA as I did and they answered my questions. Other people also say a RCCL Rep called them to see if they wanted to switch to open seating.
I think some of the confusion came from the coding for dining that RCCL uses. The number that they use internally is the same for main and open but the letter at the end differs. This comes from talking to a customer service rep. a few months ago who really researched the issue. Much of what she was reading to me was from material being supplied to travel agents.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. I just confirmed with my TA that I have Main Seating, traditional dining, and a big table. I will probably be seeing some of the Anytime Diners around later in the evening and will let everyone know how it went for them. Shoot, I hope it works well for them and doesn't have any impact on the traditional diners. It's always nice to have more choices along with the same quality service :D

I gave a thought to switching over, but since my DD will probably abandon me several nights in favor of the kids program, I figured it would be easier if I already knew the people at my table. If I'm eating alone, I'd hate to be possibly waiting around, wondering who I'll be seated with and then having to do all the work of meeting knew people.

Choices can be good! And, I'll cross my fingers that it goes well for all :)

Archived