Didn't want to go on a Cruise...

I'm leaving tomorrow and will sail on the Vision on Sunday. It has taken my husband 10 years to get me on a Cruise Ship. I let Hollywood distort my view about Ships and Sharks and was adamant about staying on land. So, after threatening to leave me behind for our 10th Anniversary, I decided to join him with my feet dragging. But it was either go with him or stay home and do laundry.

I was terrifed, so I decided one day to google Cruise Ship disasters because I am a glutton for punishment, and low and behold I came across Cruise Critic. I think I've been online everyday.

Because of you all, like Susiehmkr, Sue L, Christie NJ, WRP96, and Merion Mom, and those who responded to all my weird Post, with each day I became more at ease with crusin'. My husband never once signed on CC, because I would discuss over dinner about the information I received that day. He'd ask, "So...what did Sue L and cbsea say today...?" Can you imagine...yea, I think you can...I feel like I know you all.

So, thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I got the highlighter pens, shoe organizer from Target, post it notes, air freshener to say the least. I know how to dress for dinner. I know not to leave my towel unattended on a chair for more than 15 minutes, and I will leap frog in the hallways with my husband and know the majority of you will think it's fine and clean pure fun. I'm going to venture to the secret Quest, whatever that is, even though, I think I may end up on Youtube. I got the list of Foo Foo Drinks that I want to try. I'm not having a massage on board, because I'm weak and may buy everything that is pitched to me, so I'm having one in port. I'm taking extra for tips and know to tip the room service, and I'm not packing jeans....AND I will not be late to dinner.

If I could pick my tablemates, I'd pick many of you. (tear, tear)

I think I'm ready, I'm armed with so much knowledge, I'm ready to test the waters literally.

Any last words of advice, besides don't forget your docs?

Turquoise Sea

BTW~ I purchased the Sea Trek Helmet Dive excursion. It's gonna be hard keeping the Jaws theme, "Da Da...Da Da..Dadadada out of my head as I'm in the sea. But I figure, if I can go into the ocean with sharks , I think I can do anything.

We still remember our first cruise 20 years ago which was the first of 30 more since then.

We spent 22 nights on the Vision a few years ago and loved eery minute of it.

Go with a open mind and a positive attitude and you will have a great time.

That was such a sweet post! I really hope you have a wonderful 1st cruise! And make sure you book another onboard;you'll experience some depression when you get home and it gives you something to look forward too!;) I too am sailing on Sun. on the Mariner. Best wishes and Bon Voyage:D

Turquoise Sea

There are no words I can give you that will ease your anxiety or fears, only you can set aside those stresses and fears. You will never be totally rid of them but you will in time find you can control them and set them aside to enjoy other more beautiful things in life. You will find more rewards then fears.

I say this with confidence because I am married to a wonderful woman who has a fear of flying but in order to enjoy life and travel she has listened to the tapes and read the books designed to calm those afraid of flying. She flys now, never alone and only with me by her side. But she has been to Europe, Hawaii, Alaska and next year we start out towards the South Pacific and Australia. Only caveat has been on the long flights in the big planes we have to sit in the middle, something about just sitting up in the air does not go well with her.

She can not swim, just never learned how. But she is always by my side with her Ski vest on, A bit of a challenge for the suitcase, with snorkel & mask and contact lens in and she bobs along in the water by the reefs floating like a cork. She loves snorkeling and still not 100% comfortable in the water. Will only enter from the beach no jumping off a catamaran. Goes thru some moments of anxiety but there she is enjoying the fish & reefs and swiming along. In the 20 years we have been doing this at least twice a year never have we meet a shark or anything that would harm us. Now when we see the Barrier Reef may stay in a glass bottom boat. We have seen every other form of life under the sea.

Go and enjoy just remember you will have someone by your side who will give his life to protect you. What better gift can anyone every ask for then to enjoy the wonders of life and be beside the one they love. Yes she takes care of my fears too so I have been able to go up in the elevator to the top of the Eifiel tower and seen the tops of the Alps in a gondola. Happy 10th

test.jpg.2d233c5ba7bce7b6a90419b91b6eb9e1.jpg

I hope you have a great time and are as hooked as the rest of us when you come back! I will be following you in a couple of weeks on the vision....write about your experience as soon as you can when you return....I'm soaking up everything I can on the Vision!

I'm leaving tomorrow and will sail on the Vision on Sunday. It has taken my husband 10 years to get me on a Cruise Ship. I let Hollywood distort my view about Ships and Sharks and was adamant about staying on land. So, after threatening to leave me behind for our 10th Anniversary, I decided to join him with my feet dragging. But it was either go with him or stay home and do laundry.

I was terrifed, so I decided one day to google Cruise Ship disasters because I am a glutton for punishment, and low and behold I came across Cruise Critic. I think I've been online everyday.

Because of you all, like Susiehmkr, Sue L, Christie NJ, WRP96, and Merion Mom, and those who responded to all my weird Post, with each day I became more at ease with crusin'. My husband never once signed on CC, because I would discuss over dinner about the information I received that day. He'd ask, "So...what did Sue L and cbsea say today...?" Can you imagine...yea, I think you can...I feel like I know you all.

So, thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I got the highlighter pens, shoe organizer from Target, post it notes, air freshener to say the least. I know how to dress for dinner. I know not to leave my towel unattended on a chair for more than 15 minutes, and I will leap frog in the hallways with my husband and know the majority of you will think it's fine and clean pure fun. I'm going to venture to the secret Quest, whatever that is, even though, I think I may end up on Youtube. I got the list of Foo Foo Drinks that I want to try. I'm not having a massage on board, because I'm weak and may buy everything that is pitched to me, so I'm having one in port. I'm taking extra for tips and know to tip the room service, and I'm not packing jeans....AND I will not be late to dinner.

If I could pick my tablemates, I'd pick many of you. (tear, tear)

I think I'm ready, I'm armed with so much knowledge, I'm ready to test the waters literally.

Any last words of advice, besides don't forget your docs?

Turquoise Sea

BTW~ I purchased the Sea Trek Helmet Dive excursion. It's gonna be hard keeping the Jaws theme, "Da Da...Da Da..Dadadada out of my head as I'm in the sea. But I figure, if I can go into the ocean with sharks , I think I can do anything.

One last little piece of advice...don't get so hung up in remembering all the advice, that you forget to HAVE FUN!!!!!!! Go and enjoy, get hooked....and we want to hear all about it when you return.

Amazing and fantastic! Glad you're going....

Fran in Toronto

All I have to say is go and have a wonderful time with your husband. The details don't matter as long as you have a great time together!

Of course, we really do want to know all the details when you get back but put them aside for a little while to enjoy being with your husband.:D

Turquoise - I was the same way. :eek: My husband had cruised once before we were married and he would beg me every year to take a cruise. All I could think of was Poseidon (The Titanic movie came later.)

Anyway, we ended up taking a cruise quite by accident. :rolleyes: We were planning a week long Disney trip for our children and the travel agent suggested that we take part in their special - half week on land and a half week at sea. Well, that's all it took for DH! I couldn't very well pitch a fit in the AAA office, so I was stuck and reluctantly gave in. :cool:

Like you, I found a message board...it is called the DISboard for Disney lovers. I learned so much in those few weeks before our trip, that I was actually looking forward to the cruise part, too!

Long story short, we took the cruise, fell in love and schedule a 7 day for two months later. Our third cruise was on the Vision of the Seas and it has remained one of my favorite classes. Beautiful ship! Getting ready to take our 14th cruise since 2000! :)

Have a great time! We also leave Sunday on the Grandeur. ;)

I too wish you only the best and know you will have A BLAST !!!!!

I have always lived my life hoping to live it to the fullest.....not wake up one day and say " That was it ? " But I have also done so with fears of my own (Elevators and flying). With my husband by my side I have overcome those and even though I still say a prayer on take off..... I look forward to getting on a plane cuz I know it will take me somewhere new and exciting. You only get to go around once and it is way too short to let yourself hold you back :)

Archived