one person cancels 3 weeks pre cruise???

LegalCat

My step daughter just found out her mid terms are on our girls only weekend cruise weekend... we booked before she even signed up for the classes, dont even get me started... anyway.. shes supposed to find out tomorrow if the teacher will let her off or not.. she said she asked him last week and he said no, but i dont know how hard she asked.. anyway

the cruise is on Oct 19, the cruise has been paid for in full for quite some time...

If she cannot go... I MAY have another girl who can take her place.. is it possible? if so, any idea how much the change fee is?

Also, if I cant, or if I cant find someone else who can go at the last minute... what happens if theres just two of us when the ticket has three names on it?

First off, I am sorry that she had to bail, but if you really need someone, I would be more than happy to take her place;)

Usually they charge $50.00 for all changes, $75.00 for Europe sailing. And if need be, I can pay that $50.00 :D

I think it is great that she cares more about school than vacation, she is actually saving you money by taking school seriously (4 years of college is less expensive than 6 years of college).

Most professors will not let you take an exam early or late because they are concerned about cheating, but sometimes they are willing to accept an alternate assignment, in lieu of the mid-term exam. It will not hurt to ask.

I can definately assure you the case is not that she cares more about school than about vacations - well, of course I would never encourage her to miss school however one day out of the entire semester I really dont consider to be an issue as a recent college graduate myself. Normally all professors I had were always willing to let you take the exam early if there was some kind of conflict, they offered to let her take it early but the date they offered her was a date of another exam in another class and to make a long story short, they offered to resolve it with her and she just didnt bother. So... whatever... I think she just decided she didnt want to go with us and thats that....

Anyway... Im trying to get over that...

I already paid in full for the cruise, it was my gift to her... the option is...

1. Take no one and waste the money that was paid for her ticket... I'm also taking my sister in law so it will be two of us then instead of three. I know I'm obviously not getting any kind of a refund.

2. Find an alternative female to go and pay $50 to change the ticket and recoup some money from the alternative person which actually would put me in a better position financially speaking because my step daughter wasnt paying for her ticket, it was a gift, if I got another person to go, they would chip in towards the ticket although much less than what they would pay if they were booking their own cabin.

3. or ---

I wont be out MORE money right? I mean, I wont show up at the dock minus one person and they say... minus one person? thats a $250 FINE!!!!!! Or some thing right?

The problem I have is that the people who wanted to go are already booked. We have 5 other people going in addition to the people in my own cabin. Its too short of notice now to get some one else to go.

I'm not giving it away for $50.. hehe... but if any FEMALES want to discuss an offer, LOL... it is a girls only cruise... I'm a little wary of being in such close quarters with strangers, lol

Yeah, I'm in College too, that's why I always reserve my cruises at the end of May. October is is NO-NO month if you are in college, that's when we usually have mid-terms. Some professors will be really strict and they won't let you take your test in advantace, others are better and will let you take the test before you go. Good luck, at least you can change names!!!!! enjoy ur cruise!

I just finished college, my AA and then my Bachelors a few months ago.. I never ever ever had a teacher not allow me to take an exam early. I was always changing my classes around and I never had a problem. My professors never had a problem with taking it early... they wouldnt let you take it late as that would be unfair, extra time and all... but I never had a problem... when we booked the cruise she wasnt even enrolled in school... that mixed with my own experience of never having a problem taking something early etc... oh well.. lesson learned which really is.. sometimes its not worth trying to do something nice for someone else when they really just dont appreciate it.

I can definately assure you the case is not that she cares more about school than about vacations - well, of course I would never encourage her to miss school however one day out of the entire semester I really dont consider to be an issue as a recent college graduate myself. Normally all professors I had were always willing to let you take the exam early if there was some kind of conflict, they offered to let her take it early but the date they offered her was a date of another exam in another class and to make a long story short, they offered to resolve it with her and she just didnt bother. So... whatever... I think she just decided she didnt want to go with us and thats that....

Anyway... Im trying to get over that...

I already paid in full for the cruise, it was my gift to her... the option is...

1. Take no one and waste the money that was paid for her ticket... I'm also taking my sister in law so it will be two of us then instead of three. I know I'm obviously not getting any kind of a refund.

2. Find an alternative female to go and pay $50 to change the ticket and recoup some money from the alternative person which actually would put me in a better position financially speaking because my step daughter wasnt paying for her ticket, it was a gift, if I got another person to go, they would chip in towards the ticket although much less than what they would pay if they were booking their own cabin.

3. or ---

I wont be out MORE money right? I mean, I wont show up at the dock minus one person and they say... minus one person? thats a $250 FINE!!!!!! Or some thing right?

The problem I have is that the people who wanted to go are already booked. We have 5 other people going in addition to the people in my own cabin. Its too short of notice now to get some one else to go.

I'm not giving it away for $50.. hehe... but if any FEMALES want to discuss an offer, LOL... it is a girls only cruise... I'm a little wary of being in such close quarters with strangers, lol

Hey after a couple of drinks, we wont be strangers LOL ;)

I think your right, she did not want to go. Would it have killed her to say so straight off, guess not.

I do hope you can fine someone, someone that will truly enjoy this wonderful cruise

Legal Cat, You are not at 100% penalty yet. You can still cancel your daughter 's booking and and get 50% of her third person fare back as long as you do so by the 10th of Oct. ALL is not lost, unless you fail to take action.

3. or ---

No problem. I wouldn't even mention it. You don't have to check in together. If they happen to ask at check in, just tell them she's arriving separately. People miss cruises all the time for what ever reason. You'll be fine.

Hope you can find someone suitable to take her place so you can recoup some of your money.

SO I found out from Carnival I can get $109 back if I cancel by the 11th.. .so Im going to take a few more days to try to find someone who would chip in for the ticket and if not I guess at least $109 is better than nothing. Thanks everyone :)

SO I found out from Carnival I can get $109 back if I cancel by the 11th.. .so Im going to take a few more days to try to find someone who would chip in for the ticket and if not I guess at least $109 is better than nothing. Thanks everyone :)

Hey if nothing else I would tell the girl that this is still her Christmas present whether she goes on the cruise or not. And yes I would be upset about her waiting until last minute to decide not to go.

Hey if nothing else I would tell the girl that this is still her Christmas present whether she goes on the cruise or not. And yes I would be upset about her waiting until last minute to decide not to go.

Hate to say it, but I have a daughter like this, too. She pulled similar stunts on her dad & I many times. The last straw was when I had put down a non-refundable $500 deposit for her to take a trip to Europe with her girl scout troup and two weeks later she decided she wanted to quit scouts. I told her, "Fine, but just wanted to let you know that the money I've invested in your trip will be your Christmas presant this year." (There was also money she owed us for car and insurance payments we had to cover for her that I included with this.) She didn't believe us, but that's exactly what we did. Of course, I did give her a couple of small items - I just couldn't have handled it myself if she had nothing to open while her sister and brother opened thier gifts.

Archived