Shipboard credits

raf411

I would be wary of counting on shipboard charges being in USD. Our deposit from "O" out of Miami was charged from Ireland and we incurred the 3% int'l fee.

your TA should be able to get that back that 3% in a shipboard credit for you!

Jan

In cases where the transaction is in some other currency, you will be charged BOTH the foreign currency fee AND the foreign bank fee. The card I use, and those described by others in this thread, does NOT charge the foreign bank fee.

What is the difference between "foreign currency fee" & "foreign bank fee"?

Do you mean they charge you a fee to use the credit card as well as the exchange rate?:confused:

My VISA card charges % on the daily exchange rate EG: the USD is $1.00 they billed me @ $1.01

...Do you mean they charge you a fee to use the credit card as well as the exchange rate?:confused: ...

That is exactly what some cards do. I don't think anyone minds the currency exchange rate; heck, even many banks charge it if you get foreign currency from them directly. What everyone is objecting to is the foreign transaction fee that some cards charge just because the transaction went through a foreign bank.

Everyone pays fees to use a credit card, either directly or indirectly. Some charge annual fees; all charge the merchant a percentage of the sale, which in turn raises the price of the object. Some merchants try to recover the fee with a direct charge if you use a credit card, although most credit card rules prevent that. The foreign transaction fee is simply another fee that some credit card companies have dreamed up to increase their bottom line.

Thank you for mentioning the Juniper Card and its fee. I am about to pay for my Mar08 trip and was going to use that card as I get 1.4% back but if there is a fee it's a mute point. I will be using my credit union no fee for anything card and get !% back in the process. We pay our credit cards in full every month and this month is going to really stretch the pocketbook (and savings).:mad: But oh the fun time we are going to have.:D

Do you mean they charge you a fee to use the credit card as well as the exchange rate?:confused: quote]

"Foreign Currency Fees" are incurred when you are overseas, and make a purchase in a foreign currency which your bank has to covert into dollars. Mostly all banks that I know of make such a charge.

"Foreign Bank Fees" is something else again! Here just a few banks have decided to levy a fee (which is their prerogative) if the transaction is routed through a foreign bank, even if the currency remains in dollars. As far as I know, there is no cost to them in such a routing, but they have chosen to add it anyway - along with the myriad of other fees they charge.

It is this latter fee that has caused such a concern from those few who hold cards issued by these particular banks.....

Solution: Check with your bank - and then use another card if they make a "Foreign Bank Fee" charge.....

Do you mean they charge you a fee to use the credit card as well as the exchange rate?:confused: quote]

"Foreign Currency Fees" are incurred when you are overseas, and make a purchase in a foreign currency which your bank has to covert into dollars. Mostly all banks that I know of make such a charge.

Thanks Dick

In Canada they call it a "curency exchange rate" and charge you 2.5% over the base conversion rate set by Visa International in effect at the time they post the transaction to your Visa Account.

Which I guess is like the fee they charge in the USA.

Just confused on the terminology and the language translation :D

Just another FYI - We have been on over 17 cruises over the years and have never had an extra "percentage" charged to our bill - all bills were in US $$ (or Canadian). When making purchases with a credit card OFF of the ships in town etc there is a 2% charge for using American Express Cards and 3% for Visa and Mastercharge. Hope this helps. Happy cruising................

Archived