No passports needed for cruises departing and returning from US Ports?

San Diego Cruizer

In our local travel section of todays paper (The San Diego Union Tribune) there was an article about the back log in obtaining passports due to new govt. regs. It went on to say that a new ruling may be made very soon, that since cruise ship have such high security,they may not not require passports on US citizens who are leaving from US ports and returning to a US port. Has any one heard of this??? I am taking a large group on a cruise in May and many dont have passport. I dont want to make them obtain them unnecessarily. Any info would be so helpful!!!

Remember that ships cannot depart from a US port and return to a US port without stopping at a foreign port. I am sure that a passport will be required.

If all of your group has submitted their application for passports they will have no problem receiving them before May. The passport crunch is over...

While it is probably true that you could do a cruise that leaves from and returns to a US port without a passport, you must also consider an emergency situation that would have one flying home sometime during the cruise. Although we all hope this never happens, a passport would be required in order to do it.

While it is probably true that you could do a cruise that leaves from and returns to a US port without a passport, you must also consider an emergency situation that would have one flying home sometime during the cruise. Although we all hope this never happens, a passport would be required in order to do it.
This is correct. Also, should any of them have a problem getting to the cruise, they will not be allowed to fly to the next port.

Even though a passport won't be required, your group should be made aware that they are going to a foreign country (yes, the cruise ship is not registered in the U.S.), not just to foreign ports, and take that into consideration. Having a passport isn't "unnecessary" IMHO.

I think your paper is a little late with the story. My son sent off for his passport and got it back in 10 days. He did not pay to have it expedited. The problem untill sometime in 08 is not that you can not cruise it is if something happens and you need to fly back.

While my personal opinion is that a passport is preferable, for the reasons mentioned above and more....the answer to the OP's question is yes, passports will not be required for RT cruises from the US for US citizens. Even after the WHTI passport requirement goes into full effect. You will need a passport to fly across a border, and a passport or passcard to drive/walk across one, but not to cruise.

The relevant information is found at the DHS website, the FAQ page is here:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/whti_ls_faq.ctt/whti_ls_faq.pdf

(bottom of page 3 is where the cruise exception is listed)

In our local travel section of todays paper (The San Diego Union Tribune) there was an article about the back log in obtaining passports due to new govt. regs. It went on to say that a new ruling may be made very soon, that since cruise ship have such high security,they may not not require passports on US citizens who are leaving from US ports and returning to a US port. Has any one heard of this??? I am taking a large group on a cruise in May and many dont have passport. I dont want to make them obtain them unnecessarily. Any info would be so helpful!!!

That ruling had been in effect since January when it was implemented.

You can keep up with passport requirements on the state department's web site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Well...It still took me 7 1/2 weeks to get mine (non expedited). It came in on Thursday! Woohoo! :D Still much better than the 12-16 weeks that I'd been told to expect.

I don't understand why people don't just get one. It is the best form of ID, and it can be used in place of TWO forms of ID asked for on job interviews or in other situations that require ID. It's a no brainer!

Today, the rules changed about using the "passport in process" method to FLY from US to any other country. As of today - you MUST have a passport to fly.

On January 1, 2008, you must have a passport for sea travel also.

While you would be SMART to have a passport for sea travel, it is not required as of January 1, 2008. See the link provided above:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Now that the San Diego Union Tribune has jumped all over the passport story, I guess San Diego residents will wake up tomorrow morning to breaking coverage of the Minnesota bridge collapse.

San Diego Cruizer, I second the excellent advice of PaminMA and others here that your group get themselves passports. It's never a good idea to travel out of town without one, no matter how near or far your travels are taking you.

I wonder if the cruise line will still require it in order to easily and correctly comply with the regulations of the countries that they are visiting.

I do know that I have seen compliance standards differ from ship to ship (even within the same company).

I wonder if the cruise line will still require it in order to easily and correctly comply with the regulations of the countries that they are visiting.

I do know that I have seen compliance standards differ from ship to ship (even within the same company).

Good question; I have seen compliance standards vary from check-in clerk to check-in clerk, as well. But I suspect the cruiselines will go with the least restrictive rule, primarily because it was the cruise industry that lobbied and commented in order to include the cruise passenger exception to the WHTI passport/passcard requirement. Just my opinion, remains to be seen what they do.

From the Princess website: (the bold is mine)

NEW Passport Requirements

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), once implemented, will require all travelers entering or re-entering the United States to be in possession of a valid passport, even when traveling from certain countries in the Western Hemisphere for which passports previously were not required. The unforeseen possibility of a medical disembarkation or early cruise termination may require that you have a valid passport to enable you to continue travel.

Implementation of the WHTI is presently expected to be on the following schedule:

• January 23, 2007 - Valid passport required for travel by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

• January 1, 2008 - Valid passport required for all air and sea travel.

• January 1, 2008 - Valid passport required for all U.S. air, sea and land border crossings.

The cruiseline websites have not been updated to reflect the coming implementation; all of them still suggest passports (good idea), but they do not reflect the changes in the pending legislation. Neither does the State dept. website. Only the DHS website is up to date. And if you believe the referenced news story, it is incorrect as far as the implementation date. (Funding is needed to implement, and Congress is thinking more along the lines of June 2009)

OP's question was not about the passport crunch last summer, or about the expiration of the "fly with proof of application exception". It was about the permanent passport exception, for US citizens on RT cruises from a US port.

OP's question was not about the passport crunch last summer, or about the expiration of the "fly with proof of application exception". It was about the permanent passport exception, for US citizens on RT cruises from a US

You are exactly right cherylandtk...I was asking about the permanant exemption which seems like it will go thru. Since the cruise we are taking will only be a two day cruise from San Diego to Ensenada (approx 90 miles) I wanted to spare my guests as much cost as possible. (total fare is only 149.00. I also think passports are an excellent idea,but wanted to give friends the option because of the significant cost. Thank you everyone for the feedback and the links!!

Terry

Archived