How Good is New Bedding?

LanikaiGirl

We are about to go on a two week cruise on Millennium. My husband has a bad back so we are considering bringing our feather bed. How cushy is the new bedding? At home we have a pillow top and featherbed.

As for the pillow menu (we have a CC cabin), how big are the feather pillows?

Thanks so much!:D

We are about to go on a two week cruise on Millennium. My husband has a bad back so we are considering bringing our feather bed. How cushy is the new bedding? At home we have a pillow top and featherbed.

My wife likes a cushy bed, and normally wants to get a mattress topper as soon as she checks out the bed on a cruise ship. We just got off the millennium and she thought the mattress was just fine as is, and we both found it to be very comfortable and slept well on it. At home we also have a mattress with a thick pillow-top. While it wasn't nearly as cushy as our mattress at home we found it to our liking.

The pillows are all standard size. You probably won't find a "pillow menu" in your room as advertised. If you want to see it you might have to ask. But you can ask for a one of the pillows without it if you'd like - we always ask for two feather pillows and never had an issue getting them no matter what room type we have.

The mattresses are much better than the old ones. However, I have a bad hip now and am used to sleeping on a Tempurpedic bed. I found the mattress too be a bit hard on my hip. So I asked for an eggcrate mattress topper and immediately received one. Much better!

If you don't see a pillow menu, just ask! We always have a CC cabin and sometimes we find the pillow menu and sometimes we don't.

Kathleen

P.S. How do plan on getting a featherbed on a plane all the way to the Med from SoCal??:confused:

P.S. How do plan on getting a featherbed on a plane all the way to the Med from SoCal??:confused:

My husband already took it off the bed and was able to fit it into a spare suitcase. He is quite the packer. We are each just taking one suitcase, so he insists that this extra one will be no problem. We will see...:eek:

If you are indeed going to the Mediterranean better double check the baggage allowance - many European cities are allowing ONE suitcase and ONE carry-on per person.

Luckily we are flying Delta both ways. They allow two checked bags per person. What I do miss is the 70lb limit they had up until recently. :mad:

I just had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago & wonder how did the egg crate mattress topper work out for you? I sleep on a soft-sided waterbed so I am used to a fairly firm mattress.

I am so happy you posted this because I would have never thought of a possible conflict & I'm certain my surgeon would not have thought of it either.

Thanks

Faith

As a big fan of Holland America's beds and beddings, I'm happy to report that the new beds on the Millennium are actually a bit better than HAL's. Celebrity has added a thicker top matress cover that rids the bed of the dreaded "crack".:rolleyes: :)

After spending many nights in the San Andreas fault of our inside cabin on the Mercury (not sure how my wife avoided the "zone"), Lauren coined a new nickname for me -- the "crack baby".

New towels are great too.

By the way, does anyone have a list of which ships have received the new bedding thus far? We will be on the Constellation in six months.

Enjoy!

Kel

Did they replace the bedding for the whole ship or just for Suite's & CC levels?

If for the whole ship, is it different than what they put in Suite's & CC classes?

If so, is it better than what it use to be? or does anyone know?

We'll be on the Summit next week with a group of people that have booked 2C's & inside cabins. That's why I am wondering. It would be great to have new mattresses. Especially if they are pillow top.

Hope someone can answer my question.

Thanks in advance.:)

As a big fan of Holland America's beds and beddings, I'm happy to report that the new beds on the Millennium are actually a bit better than HAL's. Celebrity has added a thicker top matress cover that rids the bed of the dreaded "crack".:rolleyes: :)

After spending many nights in the San Andreas fault of our inside cabin on the Mercury (not sure how my wife avoided the "zone"), Lauren coined a new nickname for me -- the "crack baby".

New towels are great too.

By the way, does anyone have a list of which ships have received the new bedding thus far? We will be on the Constellation in six months.

Enjoy!

Kel

I would like to know what is on the Century? We usually cruise on HAL.

I would like to know what is on the Century? We usually cruise on HAL.

IMO, the new bedding is not nearly as plush and comfy as HALs. We also found the rounded corners made it feel smaller. We were in CC class on Century with the new bedding and it was fine and a big step up from the old stuff.

I think HAL has the best bedding at sea. We have never had a crack issue with their beds and the linens they use are of a very high quality as well.

Bedding is apparently as subjective as food so opinions will differ.:)

IMO, the new bedding is not nearly as plush and comfy as HALs. We also found the rounded corners made it feel smaller. We were in CC class on Century with the new bedding and it was fine and a big step up from the old stuff.

I think HAL has the best bedding at sea. We have never had a crack issue with their beds and the linens they use are of a very high quality as well.

Thanks, and from someone who has been on tons of cruises. OT - Any idea what model bed HAL uses? I think it is a Sealy (but which one)?

We will be in CC class on Century. Do you know if they replaced all beds? My stepdaughter and her friend will be in an inside.

Thanks, and from someone who has been on tons of cruises. OT - Any idea what model bed HAL uses? I think it is a Sealy (but which one)?

We will be in CC class on Century. Do you know if they replaced all beds? My stepdaughter and her friend will be in an inside.

Our group had 5 cabins and two were inside. All of them had the new bedding.

Not sure what bedding they use on board but they used to sell it on their website.

Our bed and bedding on the Millennium was better than the beds on the Maasdam and Zuiderdam, and about equal to the bed on the Westerdam. The Century was the first to receive the upgraded beds and perhaps Celebrity went for a better quality bed design for it's other ships?

The Maasdam did have high quality mattresses, but no thin top mattress, and the "crack" was there and it is a problem for couples that sleep close together.

A single, or a single person on one side of the bed would experience no problems on HAL's beds.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi, just off the Connie TA and was quite surprised how harrrrrrd the mattress was. I don't know if this was a new mattress or not but was not happy as to how ultra firm it was. We were in Sky Suite 6126. Had the cabin attendant put 2 eggcrate toppers on the bed and it helped... somewhat. It was a great cruise and we love Celebrity...so, we'll adjust.;)

Enjoy your cruise.

My husband already took it off the bed and was able to fit it into a spare suitcase.

Try a SpaceBag. My hubby and I both took our layered parkas to Alaska and we used a blanket sized SpaceBag. We vacuumed all the air out at home, plumped them up on board, and borrowed the cabin steward's vac to suck all the air out for the return trip home. Try that and you might be able to sneak a couple extra pairs of shoes in that suitcase too! :rolleyes:

I decided that the PITA factor was too high. Our feather top is a CalKing. I am guessing that there is no way it would fit right on the bed. I figure we will try it as is and ask for an egg crate right away if we find it to be a little hard. We have a CC AFT (weeeeeeee) cabin, so I am hoping this comes with a pillow top. :D

Archived