anyone's flight ever caused them to miss a cruise?

cruise_newbie

I booked my airfare separately not with the cruise line. I didn't think of it at the time, but it's not a direct flight, it's connecting in Detroit. It's supposed to arrive at noon Seattle time so I have a few extra hours before the 4:00 departure, but now after reading some other people's stories, I'm wondering if I miss my connection how messed up thing could get. Does the boat always leave sharply on time?

Yikes, from having worked at the airport for 18 years, I can say that I've seen many people miss their cruise because of a flight problem. Weather, maintenance, ATC, you name it. I personally would advise anyone who has the opportunity to leave the day before and pay for a hotel room to do it. It might be a little more on the $ side upfront, but the peace of mind from being where you are supposed to be and not stressing out about making the cruise will make the trip that much more enjoyable. Its a shame to miss out on a long planned cruise because you didnt want to spend money for a hotel (unless you are unable to leave early because of work or other reasons), but if you can leave a day early, do it! Also with that close a call, if for some reason the bags dont make it on the original flight, theres a good chance that there isnt another flight in that arrives before the cruise sails. Be sure to pack a carryon that has items to last for a couple of days until the ship makes it to the next port.

If you have just booked within the last 24 hours, most airlines should allow you to change your flights without a penalty. If this isnt an option, check to see if maybe there is an earlier flight out that you might be able to standby for on the day of departure. Depending on the type of ticket and airline, some allow free standby, some charge a fee.

IMHO you should always, always go to the cruise homeport the day (or evening) prior to departure. When I was a TA I can't tell you how many times we had passengers miss connections for tours, cruises etc. because they cut them so close. Hopefully you won't have a problem but that IS cutting it way, way close. Even if you can't leave till evening but live near major gateway that can get you to a hotel near the airport at your departure city, it's worth the peace of mind the the $70-100 (or less if you can book through Priceline, Hotwire etc>) to know that you will be onboard. Cruise lines sometimes hold a ship for a late flight that has a lot of passengers that booked air through the cruise line but not if you are an independent.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

As mentioned- this is a close call, and yes the ships usually leave on time. You will have to be on board well before 4pm- by 3pm at least I would recommend. Be certain as advised - pack a few changes of clothes in your carryon. If your bags don't arrive- INFORM the airline immediately and begin tracking where it is. Take a cab to the dock- about $25++ Good luck.

i would never fly to the port the day of the cruise. for the price of a $35-40 hotel room through priceline or hotwire for a pre-nights stay it is not worth missing the ship.

i watched the tv show ''airline'' ( the true show about southwest airlines ) a few weeks ago. they had over booked a flight by 51 passengers. and guess who had to miss the ship because they could not get to the port city and the ship on time. you guessed it, the passengers going on cruises. it was really heartwrenching and i felt so sorry for them. they were so upset and mad as hornets.

no matter what, for my peice of mind i will always go the day before. of course i know there are certain instances where this is not possible. if i had to go the same day i would probably book with the cruise line so i know i would get on the ship no matter what.

sorry for repling with a 'negative' opinion but if you can change your plans i would.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

I agrew with the other posters.

I always arrive in my departure city the day before I am scheduled to cruise. We usually cruise in winter and live in Buffalo. Never know how the weather will be, I don't want to miss my flight.

The ships usually leave right on time and don't wait for passengers that are late. I like to get to the ship VERY early, about 11AM and am all checked in my 11:30 or Noon. Lunch is usually served at Noon-12:30 and you have the afternoon to relax and find your way around the ship. I really enjoy departure day and like to consider that as the first real day of my vacation on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise, next time fly in a day earlier, you will relax and not have to worry about being on time for departure out of the port!

anim0035.gif

Queen of Bermuda 6/62

Carnival Paradise 3/99

Renaissance 4 2/01

Summit 11/01

Millennium 2/02

Mercury 11/02

Star Princess 2/03

Zuiderdam 8/03

Century 10/03

Voyager of the Sea 2/04

Regal Princess 7/04

mparis184

you are so right. you never know what is going to happen at the airport even with good weather. all kinds of things can go wrong. late flights, overbooking or the plane might have a problem. i am an over worrier and prepare for the worst scenerio on certain things. i go the day before also. there is so much less stress and i can enjoy the trip more.

oh, i cant wait to get on the ship, early like you and get settled in, have lunch and get my bearings of the layout for my 'home' for the next 7 days. next may cant get here too soon.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

well I wasn't able to change my flight, the cost was going to be $188.00 per person! But my travel agent did find insurance for $40 per person that covers us strictly for any delays due to the flight. Also there is one other direct flight out of Detroit to Seattle should we miss our first one, it would be tight but I think we would still make it if we took that one. Thanks for all the advice. I feel much better now!

MY TA claimed that I had to fly on the day of my cruise. That is if I wanted to use the cruise line as my air option. Normally, I would have said, to heck with that and booked my own air BUT we live in SW Florida. Normally that is NO PROBLEM, BUT we are taking back to back repositioning cruises leaving on September 17 returning October 15. I want Celebrity's air package because I figure that they have to make sure that we get on eventually. We have a five hour window to get to the ship. For most people September 17 would not raise any red flags, but for us it means possible hurricane activity.

For some reason my TA is convinced that we have to fly on September 17. Makes little or no sense to me either. So if you have experience that this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard of, please let me know before my flights are booked.

Thanks

7_2_117.gif

While I understand where others are coming from in suggesting arriving a day early, I feel the need to rest some worries. Since the flights are booked already, in all likelyhood everything will work out great. Last year, I booked a motel($100 per night) and stayed the night which was what I wanted to do. But the thing is that I left home at 0630 and arrived in Seattle at 1130, so I could have easily sailed that same day. There were many people on that same Memphis to Seattle flight who did indeed leave on the ships that very afternoon. In 2002 I had no problems flying into Ft. Lauderdale the same day.

This year, I am again doing the 1130 arrival, but this time I not be paying for a motel or taxi fares, or special transfers from the motel, or worring about finding a place to eat out on the Interstate. To me it is much easier to be picked up at the airport and go directly to the ship. My TA has 20 years experiance and she said that i'll do fine. If not, i suppose the travel insurance will be put to a good test. icon_biggrin.gif

bananavan - you can ask for an air deviation from the cruise line and fly in a day before (costs a little extra but definitely worth it) or you can book a hotel the night before from the cruise line and they will fly you in the day before.

I would definitly have your TA call the cruise line and ask about this.

If you feel comfortable flying in the day of the cruise, good for you. I personally wouldnt if given the option. I've seen numerous people have to buy one way tickets to Grand Cayman ($300+ per person) or Mexico and miss two days of their cruise because of flight delays. I felt so bad for the people who missed their cruise because of a freak ice storm who were wandering around the airport once they finally arrived looking for a way to San Andres Islands. I could get them there two day later (after a trip via Miami and Bogota) and they would only have to pay $800 more each to catch up with their cruise of a lifetime. Instead, they opted to miss the entire 14 days of the trip and try to go back home. No insurance either. icon_frown.gif

Just be prepared for the consequences and know that it CAN happen. Good luck to all.

Archived