Port in St. Thomas, island liquors and other insights?

JustAud

Doing my research for November cruise and have heard about Havensight and Crown Bay as the arrival points? Can anyone tell me where SeaDream arrives at (St. Thomas is our last stop, and we have two post-cruise days). I'm trying to figure out best use of those two days . . .

SeaDream uses both of those St. Thomas ports depending on what other ships happen to be in port the same day. There is a website you can find by googling "USVI cruise schedule" that will give you an advance look at what the plans might be but note that the schedule is subject to change and is updated month by month. I tried to insert the actual link but wasn't permitted to do so. You'll have to search a bit to find it. Sorry.

Have a great trip.

As ctbjr has answered SD does use both docks.

Regardless of where we dock on SD our plans pretty much stay the same as the two docks aren't that far away by taxi. As a matter of fact we stay at the same resort regardless of where we dock:D

I prefer Havensight as the shopping is good. We will return to Crown in November on our family cruise on Brand H (Holland America) so I will be interested to see if the shopping is any better. Of course we will be calling on our favorite taxi driver to take us to Havensight if I can't find what I am looking for at Crown:p

Thank you! Found the link, will keep checking. You sound pretty knowledgeable on St. Thomas, DisneyJen, can you tell me the best place for rum or other special island liquors that I can take back as presents? Also, if you had to choose, Megan's Bay or Sapphire Beach?

DJ is an expert on rum, champagne and many other assorted aspects of travelling in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

And in this quest I have good company don't I ctbjr:p

Thank you! Found the link, will keep checking. You sound pretty knowledgeable on St. Thomas, DisneyJen, can you tell me the best place for rum or other special island liquors that I can take back as presents? Also, if you had to choose, Megan's Bay or Sapphire Beach?

We have spent a lot of time in the US Virgin islands either in villas on St. John or cruise ship stops.

Best place for rum and liquor is ARiise which has a store in Havensight. They have a nice assortment of rums as well as cordials and liquors.

In terms of beaches ... of the two you mentioned I would pick Megan's over Sapphire although Sapphire is nice. Megan's is lovely.

Where are you staying on STT after the cruise?

If you are staying two days on STT I would highly suggest taking the ferry over to St. John and spending the day at one of the beaches there. We love Hawk's Nest Beach. Trunk Bay is great as long as there aren't a ton of cruise ships in St. Thomas or if you go first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon.

There are some great restaurants on St. John ... our favorite is ZoZo's (we ate here in June to celebrate our wedding anniversary).

Hope that helps! If not ask away and I will try to answer.

And in this quest I have good company don't I ctbjr:p

Yes, indeed you do. Incidentally, one of your partners in crime is currently in Cairo and will be boarding SeaDream 1 on Saturday at Alexandria for a 7 night cruise to Piraeus. I'm certain that she'll take that opportunity to hone her champagne sipping skills.

Yes, indeed you do. Incidentally, one of your partners in crime is currently in Cairo and will be boarding SeaDream 1 on Saturday at Alexandria for a 7 night cruise to Piraeus. I'm certain that she'll take that opportunity to hone her champagne sipping skills.

Please tell her that we wish her bon voyage ... and to save some champagne for those of you who will be crossing the Atlantic in a few weeks:D

Please tell her that we wish her bon voyage ... and to save some champagne for those of you who will be crossing the Atlantic in a few weeks:D

I will pass the message along (thanks to Skype @ $.18/minute, I've been in touch often and able to get regular trip updates).

Although I'm not much of a champagne drinker myself, there is good news for those crossing the Atlantic with us next month (FT, are you listening?). We'll be on SD2 so it really doesn't matter whether there is any left on SD1 after this next cruise!

We are staying at the Island View Guesthouse. Heard that taking the ferry over to St. John was a high priority, so there goes one day. Thanks so much for the beach and restaurant tips. Any favorite restaurants on St. Thomas?

Looks like a few of you will be getting off SDII when we'll be getting on . . . alone it seems, as I've not been able to find anyone on the 11/14 sailing. Glad to know there is a day in Miami for them to stock up for us . . . Did I really pick a bad time? First time on SD or the Caribbean (just couldn't pass on their 3-day sale when my TA contacted me).

One of these days, I'll do a transatlantic (by myself, so I can catch up on my reading, I keep threatening, but highly unlikely). Are the services any "different" on a crossing?

I think that I speak for most on this board when I say that there is NO bad time to be on SeaDream. We did a SD cruise in early to mid-November with DisneyJen and Mr. DisneyJen from West Palm Beach to St. Thomas. It was fantastic.

I've only been on one transatlantic cruise with SD but my experience was that the service was just the same as on other port-intensive cruises. I enjoyed my transatlantic cruise so much last year that I'm doing it again (solo this time but with friends) this year.

We are staying at the Island View Guesthouse. Heard that taking the ferry over to St. John was a high priority, so there goes one day. Thanks so much for the beach and restaurant tips. Any favorite restaurants on St. Thomas?

Looks like a few of you will be getting off SDII when we'll be getting on . . . alone it seems, as I've not been able to find anyone on the 11/14 sailing. Glad to know there is a day in Miami for them to stock up for us . . . Did I really pick a bad time? First time on SD or the Caribbean (just couldn't pass on their 3-day sale when my TA contacted me).

One of these days, I'll do a transatlantic (by myself, so I can catch up on my reading, I keep threatening, but highly unlikely). Are the services any "different" on a crossing?

One of our favorites for dinner on STT is Herve (http://www.herverestaurant.com). Gladys is a nice spot for lunch while shopping in Charlotte Amalie. We also like Coco Joe's at the Marriott Morninngstar Beach for breakfast al fresco or a cheeseburger in paradise. Coco Joe's is right on the beach.

I agree 100 percent with ctbjr! We have sailed SD on a port intensive Caribbean cruise as well as the repositioning that he mentioned. Service was excellent on both.

And yes ctbjr, alita and FT I am working on the crossing for '08 ... still trying to convice DH that he doesn't need to go on the QM2 to cross the Atlantic:rolleyes:

while not an expert...give some thought to trying to bring liquor that you bought in town back on a plane....with the new regulations I don't think you can carry-on the cardboard box like before. You'd need to put it into checked bags and you know how that goes........

I did see it work in LAX where you would buy from the duty free shops and they would deliver sealed bags to the gate as you got on the plane...and that was OK for carry on....

hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to chine in...

while not an expert...give some thought to trying to bring liquor that you bought in town back on a plane....with the new regulations I don't think you can carry-on the cardboard box like before. You'd need to put it into checked bags and you know how that goes........

I did see it work in LAX where you would buy from the duty free shops and they would deliver sealed bags to the gate as you got on the plane...and that was OK for carry on....

hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to chine in...

With the new TSA rules you CANNOT carry liquor as carry-on/hand luggage.

We were in St. John/St. Thomas in June. We bought 6 bottles from ARiise in Havensight. They packaged it for us in one of the new reinforced cardboard boxes. We checked it as luggage with USAirways and it arrived at Charlotte just fine ... even after zooming down the luggage chute and onto the revolving belt:eek:

The other option is, depending on how much your luggage weighs, is to wrap it yourself and store in your luggage. This doesn't work for us as we are always way too close or just over the weight limit with bags:p

DisneyJen, I'm finding you the one with the most experience here, so I'd really appreciate it if you would take a look at the following "plan" and tell me if you think it is possible and makes good use of our time there, without rushing and not really enjoying ourselves. Hope you don't mind; any advice on the "plan" is appreciated:

Sunday; ship docks at ?, off ship by 10A?: see if we can arrange someone from the B&B to pick up our luggage where we dock, so we can head straight to Red Hook and catch the ferry to St. John. Take a taxi to Hawks Nest (per your recommendation!) and enjoy until early evening. Take ferry back around 6P?

Monday; take the St. Thomas Excursions day sail on the "True Love." Full day of sailing, snorkeling, over to St. John, but no shore time. Get back to St. Thomas around 4P. Go do a little shopping (rum and costume jewelery is all I'm interested in). (Meet frients for dinner)

Tuesday; get up early and head for Megan's Beach, spend a few hours, back to the B&B to clean up. Head to airport around 1P for a 2:50P flight?

Wherever I have ?s I'm not quite sure if this realistic/doable, so your insights here most welcome. Thanks for everything already, its been great!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner JustAud but weekends can be crazy:rolleyes:

Just a couple of suggestions ...

Remember that you will be on island time ... which means everything takes longer and moves slower than you think:p

Have you checked they ferry schedule from Red Hook to STJ? You might want to take a look at it so you have an idea as to when you want to disembark SD.

There are changing and bathroom facilities at Hawks Nest but no food concessions. I don't know what you were planning for lunch while on STJ.

Other options would include visiting Trunk Bay which has food and bathroom facilities. You can also rent snorkle gear there as well. Trunk is lovely with a great underwater trail that you can snorkel. The only issue is that sometimes it can get crowded if there are a lot of cruise ships in STT but it isn't crowded like the beaches in France or even the New Jersey shore.

Another option is to have lunch and use the beach at Caneel Bay on STJ.

Shops on STT usually close around 5 p.m. so you may want to rethink shopping. If I were you, I would shop on Tuesday before heading to the airport as you really need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight ... island time what can I say!

Megan's is worth a visit if you have time but I don't know how realistic it is the day of your flight as it is at the opposite end of the island from the airport. Shopping in Charlotte Amalie is not far from the airport (20 minutes or so depending on traffic).

Sounds like you will have a wonderful day sail. You will get to see the best part of the islands ... the beaches ... from the water.

Hope this is helpful!

Although I'm not much of a champagne drinker myself, there is good news for those crossing the Atlantic with us next month (FT, are you listening?). We'll be on SD2 so it really doesn't matter whether there is any left on SD1 after this next cruise!

My ears definitely perk up when the word champagne appears - yes, CBJ, I was listening . . . or lurking. . . my lovely blue leather folder for the crossing arrived while we were in Knoxville (GO VOLS!)

I also hear the spa appointments calling . . .hope we have as great as weather as we did on the 2005 II crossing. Any info about our chef? I made Jes' wonder pumpkin-lobster bisque again last week, not near as good as the charming Englishman's.

In order to not hijack the threat on St. Thomas, we definitely love spending the day on St. John and going to visit several beaches -the island transportation (open air buses that) is cheap and reliable, no need to rent a car or worry about parking.

FT

I feel bad that FT is leaving me home for the crossing, there is just something not fair about the whole thing.

Don't worry, zqvol. She's not likely to have much fun. From what I hear it will be a very dull group she's traveling with....

ZQVOL:

We are leaving next Thursday for SeaDream in Italy so we will be on before FT. Might not leave much for them.

Jim & Lois.

I hope that you will file a trip report Jim and Lois:D

You know how cranky FT can be if she doesn't have her champers:p:D:p

DJ:

Will try to leave FT at least one bottle of sparkling zinfandel. CTBJR: on SeaDream I round trip from Civitivecchia. First Med cruise on SD or anyone else for that matter. Have reconfirmed all hotel/car reservations and Lois is in Chicos for a last minute run. She is starting to pack this weekend. I'm travelling in a carryon. Girls sure are different!

Jim.

Jim:

The good news for FT is that she and I'll be on SD2 so no need to be concerned about leaving anything for us.

Mrs. CTBjr is currently on SD1 and from all reports there is the usual outstanding complement of crew and staff aboard. Have a great trip.

DJ:

Will try to leave FT at least one bottle of sparkling zinfandel. CTBJR: on SeaDream I round trip from Civitivecchia. First Med cruise on SD or anyone else for that matter. Have reconfirmed all hotel/car reservations and Lois is in Chicos for a last minute run. She is starting to pack this weekend. I'm travelling in a carryon. Girls sure are different!

Jim.

Jim ...I hope Lois is able to use her coupons from Chico's:p

Will look forward to hearing about your Med cruise!

Ctbjr ... glad all is well on SD1! FT and I had dinner Tuesday night and we talked quite a bit about the upcoming crossing!

Archived