Table mates?

trubey

:) Condoleeza (however she spells her name) is welcome to sit with us. :) Without comment as to my political views, I have alot of respect for her accomplishments. I do not agree with ALL she says but I think her an extremely intelligent, well spoken Lady.

This is a terrific thread. What a wonderful idea. In choosing tablemates I certainly would never rule out an entire group of people such as all Republicans or all Democrats.

That said, I would certainly like to be at Sail's table because I agree with her on her choices. Not sure about Oprah because as much as I admire her I feel she might be a little too overpowering. I should like to add Maya Angelou because I am in absolute awe of her. And I would like George Bush to join Laura because I know him to be an extremely likeable man (I'm not speaking politically here).

At the risk of the ire of many, I would love Bill O'Reilly to join us. Julia Child (when she was a bit younger) would be a marvelous addition.

Oh! And Charlie Gilson from GMA because I just like him and I know he likes Julia. And that should do it!!!;)

Well, I had dinner one time quite by accident with Morgan Freeman. I had no idea who he was until he left and someone told me. He was very charming and delightful – we talked about tennis and hose back riding, raising children and how hard it is for someone his height to take a shower. I found him later and apologized for not recognizing him. He laughed and said “Best dinner I have had in years, I got to be myself”.

All that said – I guess I enjoy having dinner with anyone that loves life and laughter.

This is a terrific thread. What a wonderful idea. In choosing tablemates I certainly would never rule out an entire group of people such as all Republicans or all Democrats.

That said, I would certainly like to be at Sail's table because I agree with her on her choices. Not sure about Oprah because as much as I admire her I feel she might be a little too overpowering. I should like to add Maya Angelou because I am in absolute awe of her. And I would like George Bush to join Laura because I know him to be an extremely likeable man (I'm not speaking politically here).

At the risk of the ire of many, I would love Bill O'Reilly to join us. Julia Child (when she was a bit younger) would be a marvelous addition.

Oh! And Charlie Gilson from GMA because I just like him and I know he likes Julia. And that should do it!!!;)

Heather.....really, really I am not kidding when I say I almost wrote Maya Angelou but felt where I chose to name Oprah, it would be a bit much adding Maya as she is her greatest fan. Actually, it was because of her that I first started reading Maya's works.

.....:) and as I write this, I have on Fox News. Bill O'Reilly's show just ended and it is Hannity and olmes on now interviewing Rudy Giuliani. :)

Whoa....I think there is some ESP going on here. ;)

Talk about over-bearing.....I think Bill O'Reilly probably holds court at a dinner table.

nite 1- larry , curly and moe *nyuck nyuck nyuck!!*

nite 2- the Marx Bros

nite 3 - Abbott and Costello

nite 4 - Bill Geist and Al Roker

nite 5 - Bill Watterson, Gary Larson,Scott Adams and Gary Trudeau

nite 6 - what child of the 50s wouldn't opt for Roy and Dale, Gene Autry, Hoppy and The Lone Ranger (throw in Gabby Hayes for good measure)

nite 7 - Ella, Louis, Nat Cole, and the Duke (finally some decent evening entertainment on HAL!)

Doris Kearns Goodwin......Yes. Haven't seen/heard much from her recently. She used to be on all the talk shows and then disappeared. Wasn't there something about 'not giving proper credit' in her footnotes for one of her books??? Brilliant woman and so well spoken. Such a fountain of knowledge.

Like others here, We like our table for two..couldn't ask for a better dinner company than my DH .. at least for me!

You all have come up with quite a list of interesting folks. Sounds like a lot of very interesting dinner conversation!

For me, If I could choose, I would wish to have all those who are no longer with us that I so dearly miss. My grandmothers and grandfathers, my mother, and friends who have passed way too soon. So many times in my life I catch myself thinking I need to pick up the phone and share some piece of my life with them, only to quickly realize that is no longer possible. Oh, what a wonderful dinner conversation that would be!

But, I know that is fantasy as much as my list is from those still with us today...

Barbara Striesand, Stephen King, Diane Sawyer, Charlie Gibson, Jay Leno..Wonder how a dinner conversation would flow with such strong personalities at one table??

Fun topic!

Peggy Sue

I don't think the partisan political comments here are appropriate, but since a couple of posters started it, I'll say that I would not won't to be at a table with any democrat except Zell Miller from Ga., and a certain frequent poster here would be welcome to join us, as he is her senator.

Doris Kearns Goodwin......Wasn't there something about 'not giving proper credit' in her footnotes for one of her books??? Brilliant woman and so well spoken. Such a fountain of knowledge.
Yes, there was. That's when she "disappeared." I met her at a conference a few years ago and was impressed with her candor and the tales she shared of the Johnson administration. Fascinating lady.

just bring your whoopie cushion, some of those big nose / fake mustache glasses, and a complete lack of inhibition and we'll do just fine..

actually based on your response I'm assuming that you agree with me that inhibitions can sure get in the way of a good time..*L* so pull up a chair and join in the mayhem!

S7S, I should have included Maya amongst my table guests - maybe I need a table for 12 so I can include her and you...

Brian....I'd be pleased and honored to join your table. What an interesting crowd that could/would be.

Yes, there was. That's when she "disappeared." I met her at a conference a few years ago and was impressed with her candor and the tales she shared of the Johnson administration. Fascinating lady.

Lucky you, Jim, to have had the opportunity to meet Ms. Goodwin. I miss her commentary and will especially miss it if she is not on the air Election Night. Her recollections and grasp of history is immense. And she's a wonderful story teller IMO

[quote name='iluvcruzin']I don't care to dine with someone famous. I find it more fastinating dining with a Senior couple who may have saved for years to take their first cruise. They usually have such great life stories to tell.[/QUOTE]
On our last cruise we had breakfast with the most adorable couple. They were both in their 90s and had survived the London Blitz during WWII. Their apartment house was actually bombed, but they survived because their family was sleeping in the basement. They came to America after the war and started a very successful furniture business. They were so fascinating!

I had a 'famous person' experince on our first cruise in 1991. My friend and I were on a snorkel excursion from Tortola as our husbands were scuba diving. I am very fair and was sitting under a shade canopy on the sailing ship. A fellow came up and sat next to me. He was red-headed and very fair. We talked for the next hour. He said he was in St. Louis and was 'in business.' Then he asked me what I did. "I'm a mom." What did my husband do? "He is a programmer for WordPerfect." The guy didn't know what it was! I thought that was strange, because at that time WP was outselling MSWord in the business market. I found out later he was a professional baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals! I had no idea! Later, we were on another excursion together, and I apologized for not knowing him. He laughed and told me it was refreshing to talk to someone who had NO IDEA who he was. I followed his career after that, watching how he was doing and who he was playing for at the time. He was never a HUGE baseball name but was a good utility player.

I hate eating with people I don't know. I get 'diarrhea of the mouth' and talk just to fill the spaces, so for dinner, if we're not traveling with friends, we prefer a table for two.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is back on tv and giving her usual terrific commentary. I've seen her on Imus in the Morning recently and also in the evening on MSNBC.

We went to the same high school and we both remember spending our childhood at Brooklyn Dodger games. My brother who lives in Boston has had some great evenings with her at various events there; she is interesting to talk with on so many levels. Also love her husband's columns in the Washington Post, so they both would be at my table. :)

RSVP to [B]annebill[/B] if her invitation was meant for me: Thank you, but I will have a previous engagement the evening you are dining with 'Zig-Zag Zell', as he is known here in GA. :D

[color=blue][/color][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b] Speaking of John McInroe - we had the fortunate (maybe I should say unfortunate) pleasure of flying the Concord with him once. As we boarded the Concord, the stewardesses were kidding each other about who was going to be "stuck" with him this time. He lived up to his reputation - gave the stewardesses a hard time - demanding this - wanting that - for the entire 3 hour and 10 minute flight.[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Robin7']On our last cruise we had breakfast with the most adorable couple. They were both in their 90s and had survived the London Blitz during WWII. Their apartment house was actually bombed, but they survived because their family was sleeping in the basement. They came to America after the war and started a very successful furniture business. They were so fascinating!

I had a 'famous person' experince on our first cruise in 1991. My friend and I were on a snorkel excursion from Tortola as our husbands were scuba diving. I am very fair and was sitting under a shade canopy on the sailing ship. A fellow came up and sat next to me. He was red-headed and very fair. We talked for the next hour. He said he was in St. Louis and was 'in business.' Then he asked me what I did. "I'm a mom." What did my husband do? "He is a programmer for WordPerfect." The guy didn't know what it was! I thought that was strange, because at that time WP was outselling MSWord in the business market. I found out later he was a professional baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals! I had no idea! Later, we were on another excursion together, and I apologized for not knowing him. He laughed and told me it was refreshing to talk to someone who had NO IDEA who he was. I followed his career after that, watching how he was doing and who he was playing for at the time. He was never a HUGE baseball name but was a good utility player.

I hate eating with people I don't know. I get 'diarrhea of the mouth' and talk just to fill the spaces, so for dinner, if we're not traveling with friends, we prefer a table for two.[/QUOTE]
On a recent cruise we met an older couple who had been on 95 cruises, including the original Carnival Mardi Gras that ran aground on its maiden voyage. Also they were once on a ship that caught fire so they got onto its sister ship in port in Venezuela and then THAT one caught fire but all were OK. The most amazing part--they were on the ANDREA DORIA when it sank!!! Fortunately they were saved, but what storeis they had to tell!:eek:
They were delightful down to earth people.

We've met several people on cruises who are now cruise buddies and have cruised again with us. One fellow is now my best friend and we have cruised together a number of times, though he lives in OH and I live in FL.

[quote name='cruznon']I'd love to share a table with Bill and Hillary Cliinton, Ann Richards, Placido Domingo and Paul McCartney. THAT would be a great evening![/QUOTE]
I met her a few years back and she is the most amazing woman. She is warm and smart and honest. She is a great role model for single women who want to stay single--she told me about her gentleman friend who is her date for functions--:D She is very huggy and has thebest hair in politics!

She can sit with me and my Republican frioends any time:o) LOL!

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]Heather.....really, really I am not kidding when I say I almost wrote Maya Angelou but felt where I chose to name Oprah, it would be a bit much adding Maya as she is her greatest fan. Actually, it was because of her that I first started reading Maya's works.[/b]

[b]..... and as I write this, I have on Fox News. Bill O'Reilly's show just ended and it is Hannity and olmes on now interviewing Rudy Giuliani. [/b]
[b]Whoa....I think there is some ESP going on here. [/b]

[b]Talk about over-bearing.....I think Bill O'Reilly probably holds court at a dinner table. [/b][/QUOTE][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]Sail, so funny ... ;) . That's how I became aware of Maya, too. You're right about Bill O ... he might take over a bit, too. Oh well, I think perhaps this table could hold its own when you think about it. We were watching the same programs last night .. what a coincidence!:) Oh! And, cruisinpaige, Colin Powell is an excellent addition.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]Speaking of Rudy G, maybe he should join us too. I have to say I was transfixed in front of the TV until almost 11:30 watching his speech (I'm never up that late). It was extraordinary. No matter what party, I will always admire an excellent speech. And last night he had me riveted. His smile lit up the entire Garden and his humor took the edge off much of what he said. This is a great table:D ... hope everyone can make it at the same time[/color].[/size][/font]

:D [quote name='annebill']I don't think the partisan political comments here are appropriate, but since a couple of posters started it, I'll say that I would not won't to be at a table with any democrat except Zell Miller from Ga., and a certain frequent poster here would be welcome to join us, as he is her senator.[/QUOTE]
Im a GOP'er too but I'd like to sit with Senator Bird of WV. He can probably dance, too! As long as we're i nthe disco, invite Ted Kennedy, he's party animal. No wait, I went to a party he was at with F. Lee Baily once. He was pretty mellow, actually.:eek:

Archived