rooms with porthole windows

stellatj

hi we are booked in a upper deck . it says 5a it said it has a porthole

can anyone tell me how those rooms are. i know its close to the front of the ship u16 or u14 will it be rough sailing should we try to move now before the ship is full.

Hey there,

We had a port hole cabin on the Fascination it was R-23. The room was great nice in quite no noise from hallway traffic. I don't get motion sick but my partner does. She always wears a patch and she didn't have any trouble being that far forward. The nice thing about a port hole cabin is that you have a huge ledge to sit things on. Our son wanted to sleep up there. Kids what can you do with them. But it was nice you can shut the port holes for total darkness if you like to sleep in a dark room too. That was great for us sine our son would sleep in later since the room was dark.

Hope that help you. If you get motion sick I would look into some patches or ginger pills.

Have a great cruise,

shan9700:)

DH & I had our first porthole room in April and we had a very smooth cruise. We felt no motion , heard no noise,etc.... Of course looking back we had never seen the gulf looking so smooth. It was almost like a sheet of glass. No waves at all. So I don't know if this was a fair judegement of the amount of movement you will feel or not. The only thing that i didn't like was that our restaurant was all the way in the back and our room was all the way in the front. Oh well what a way to walk it off.

I did like the ledge by the porthole.

I'm sure you'll do fine

Stella...I've had porthole cabins (M6 three times on the Holiday and E1 on the Sensation). I actually book those cabins intentionally. I like the porthole cabins, as there's no hall noise, and I like the little ledge to sit on. That's where I have my first cuppa coffee in the mornings and last glass of wine at nights.

I have felt very little more motion there than in midship cabins...so if the Holiday (smallest and oldest) didn't bother me, I don't know why you'd have any problem.:)

I have stayed in a 5A on both cruises I have been on....M21 on the Celebration & M4 on the Sensation. LOVE these rooms. When the seas are "normal" you won't really feel that much more movement than anywhere else on the ship. You will love the fact that there is little to no noise from the hallway. On the last night of our Sensation cruise we hit some extremely bad weather (12-15 foot seas) and boy that cabin was rockin' & rollin', but so was anywhere else on the ship!

One thing to keep in mind....you will hear the bow thrusters and rope pullers when you arrive and leave each port if you are in your room. We left Nassau at 6am and woke up to the entire cabin vibrating! We were prepared for this from our previous cruise so we actually found it very funny! Just be aware you may experience vibrations/noise at port times. Other than that, enjoy that porthole view! The ledge is great to climb into and look out! :D

I have pics of the view out the port holes of a 5A on Ecstasy. Not sure I should post them though as we had a rough ride. 20 plus foot waves. We would still take our 5A cabin again rather than a inside any ole day. I think I had R27 or R23, cant remember, not all the way forward. The waves were hitting our port hole window for over 24 hours, it was kinda neat.

Estasy 5A cabin, thru the port hole.

Picture038-1.jpg

I cant say we noticed more movement that far forward than midship.

Iv heard there is more noise on the port side than on the starboardship of the ship up front.

I had one of these rooms in March 2007 on the Ecstasy, M4 I believe. Definitely the roughest/noisiest ride I have ever had. There was a lot of shaking when the ship would slow and pull into port. It wasn't unbearable, but as others have said if you have a weak stomach it might not be the best choice. Other than that the rooms was very roomy and the ledge by the portholes was nice, you won't be able to see out very well. I would stay in one of these rooms again, I will just know better what to expect next time.

I leave next thursday and I too have a port hole on Ecstasy~ Riveria Front of the boat...Gesh..Im getting nervous but love the fact it will be dark!!!!

I will let you know how the ride is in that room!!!!:D

Hi, Stella, I'm on your roll call. Our friends had a port hole window on the Empress Deck and loved it. We have had several rooms at the front of the ship and have never had a problem with motion. Of course, if the seas are rolling, you will feel it all over the ship - LOL. We loved our rooms at the front. However, we will be at the very back in November. Travelgirl

Archived