Help...where to stay before Explorer.

cookie38

We are sailing on the Explorer out of Bayonne on December 14th. We are driving from Ohio leaving on Thursday and would like to stay 2-3 hours west of Bayonne Thursday night on Route 78. Any suggestions? How bad will the drive be on Friday morning into the port?

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful as we are new to this port!

Thanks!!

Not sure what is good along 78 anymore haven't lived in that area for a long time. I will tell you that a Friday morning you WILL hit traffic in NJ , that is an automatic given. If you end up 2-3 hours from Bayonne I would be on the road no later than 8am. That gives you time for any issues as well as breaks for the kids. Keep an eye on the weather for any issues.

you could try the allentown/bethlehem PA area as well..(near the ABE airport-pretty close to 78)...that may be a little closer than 2-3 hous..but it is another option....

in that area are a Residence Inn/Fairfield Inn and COurtyard by Marriott, a staybridge suites (all those are nice...i have stayed in them all), a hilton garden inn, a microtel (if you just want to crash-very basic but they have some sort of continental breakfast, free internet and free phone calls...) and a couple other places.....

the traffic will STINK! 2-3 hours may well take 4 and 78 at rush hour in NJ going toward the port/newark/ny metropolitan area will make you nuts (you will need the 24 ounce coffee from wawa or 7-11! bigger if you can just hit the little travelers room!! ;) )

just so you know...

if you leave the allentown area around 8 ro so, by the time you get into mid-nj, the traffic towards NYC/Bayonne should be better....

I would agree with the idea of staying in the Allentown area and close to the ABE airport. I live 15 minutes south of there and know the traffic in the area pretty well. It takes us 1.5 hours to get to the Newark airport from home and the cruise port is another 15 minutes past there. If you leave the hotel by about 8:00 the traffic heading into NYC will have died down enough so you dont get caught in jams.

Thank you for the suggestions!!! That is just what I was looking for! I really like to do my homework and since this is new territory I'm trying to be extra careful! I myself was thinking of the Allentown area....I did check out what hotels were there. We do like to arrive early to the port. Last November we drove to Baltimore for the Grandeur and arrived at the port at 10:30....(although there was nothing to do for an hour an a half!)

I'm will be praying we don't have snow on top of all of this!!!

I would agree with the idea of staying in the Allentown area and close to the ABE airport. I live 15 minutes south of there and know the traffic in the area pretty well. It takes us 1.5 hours to get to the Newark airport from home and the cruise port is another 15 minutes past there. If you leave the hotel by about 8:00 the traffic heading into NYC will have died down enough so you dont get caught in jams.

great not only are you cruisin with me-you're from the lehigh valley??? uh oh. where??

We live just off exit 44 of 78 and with two kids attending colleges in the allentown area I can tell you that route 78 going towards east on a workday morning can turn into a parking lot especially if there is an accident, bad weather and right now they have two lanes closed down for extended repaving and it is a 1-2 year project. Leave plenty of time , leave after commuter traffic is gone or stay closer to Bayonne. Hope this helps

We live just off exit 44 of 78 and with two kids attending colleges in the allentown area I can tell you that route 78 going towards east on a workday morning can turn into a parking lot especially if there is an accident, bad weather and right now they have two lanes closed down for extended repaving and it is a 1-2 year project. Leave plenty of time , leave after commuter traffic is gone or stay closer to Bayonne. Hope this helps

I would never stay in the Allentown area to leave on a Ship out of Bayonne, that is 1 1/2 hrs away and depending on traffic, it could take 3 hrs. I am from that area also, in fact I am the Postmaster at the office where DeSales University is at (Center Valley). The highway I-78 is jammed up with traffic a lot of times, (I take it every day to work and back) I would try something closer to NJ. I am leaving in June out of Bayonne and have purchased the Bus Royal Caribbean provides for round trip from Allentown to Bayonne. I can not help you with hotels, since I always commute either by bus or limo to NYC/NJ ports. Good Luck!

We are sailing on the Explorer out of Bayonne on December 14th. We are driving from Ohio leaving on Thursday and would like to stay 2-3 hours west of Bayonne Thursday night on Route 78. Any suggestions? How bad will the drive be on Friday morning into the port?

Thanks!!

We'll be on the road with you guys from Ohio. Except that we decided to just leave in the middle of the night and drive straight through. See you at the meet and mingle!?

I live in the area, might be a better idea to stay closer, either way you're probably gonna hit at least some traffic, it's just a fact of life here in NJ. Near the junction of Routes 78 and 287 is the Bridgewater Marriott, it's a nice hotel and a safe area, you might want to consider that one. It's also walking distance to a shopping area and a few restaurants too, which is a bonus. If I think of any other ideas, I'll post 'em.

Thanks!!

I am so confused now.....We can not leave Ohio until 3:30, with 6 kids, so 8-9 hours in the car that first day is going to be our limit. If we would stay in Allentown area....Ok, I know it could be three hours with traffic, but that still gets me to the port by 11 or Noon (at the latest) if we leave hotel by 8...would traffic be better coming in at that time?

I Appreciate all your comments!!

When I answered your question before you asked where to stay before you reach Bayonne so thats why I said Allentown.

If Allentown is as far as you want to drive that first day then do it. You will hit traffic at rush hour but can make it to Bayonne in plenty of time to catch your ship.

Could you pull the kids out of school like an hour early the day you leave for Bayonne? You could then drive straight through to Newark that night and miss all the traffic. Get to sleep in a bit, grab a bite to eat, and then head to the port? Even though I live to close to port, I still opt to stay close by the night before. It makes the arrival less stressful and I can actually relax on sail away day.

Meg, I live in Quakertown PA.

Which airport are you flying from for Enchantment and when? I picked PHL because of SW. I had a free round trip ticket so I used it to get to FLL and am taking Air Tran home. We fly out Sunday morning.

dunno yet, but i have a 350 buck voucher for SW so it will be PHL, BWI or IAD-where ever i can get the best bang for my bucks!

the bridgewater area is nice too and maybe 30-45 minutes farther..but the traffic there rots in the AM...honestly you will hit it anyway, and even going past allentown to bridgewater, you are still looking at a couple hours.....the marriott is nice though.....

actually, i may have mentioned this already, there is a courtyard right off of 78 in Lebanon, NJ. you'll be getting in too late to worry about dinner, but the breakfast buffet, while not free, isn't bad. they also have rates that sometimes include it. that hotel is on route 22, but it is right next to 78.

honestly, if you can make it to someplace within say, 50 miles of allentown (either in PA or NJ) you will be fine...you'll still have a couple hours to the port (mainly due to traffic) but there are a couple ways you could go, and off of 78 and/or 287 are lots of exits with places to grab breakfast.... (287 would get you to the TPKE as well, a little farther south of 78...)

some towns in NJ: Bridgewater, Somerset, Edison, Lebanon

i stay up in that area all the time, so ask away...

Meg, whats the name of that restuarant that has a train motif and looks like an old train along the 78? We ate dinner there one time coming home for EWR and the food was wonderful. I wont even mention the baked goods.

it's actually a diner now....if that is what you are thinking of.....rats...

i had to google it....

http://www.clintonstationdiner.com/

clinton station..BEEN THERE DONE THAT! YUMMMMMMMM....

(we had to send something back cause it wasn't hot-i think it was soup----told the owner who went into the case and came out with 3 boxes of goodies...a couple pastries and half a dozen chocolate covered strawberries!)

I think I am staying here next time ... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewreb-residence-inn-newark-elizabeth-liberty-international-airport

I stayed at the Best Western by the airport last time I cruised from Bayonne since they offer a parksleepcruise package but will say its not in the best area. The Residence has breakfast in the morning, food near by and its close to the port.

D.

Archived