Help...where to stay before Explorer.

cookie38

I think I am staying here next time ... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewreb-residence-inn-newark-elizabeth-liberty-international-airport

I stayed at the Best Western by the airport last time I cruised from Bayonne since they offer a parksleepcruise package but will say its not in the best area. The Residence has breakfast in the morning, food near by and its close to the port.

D.

cookie stay at the residence inn...you'll at least have breakfast..., safe and they will most likely let you leave your car there without charge....(no guarantees but if you ask nice, and say you understand they aren't responsible....) it's safe and clean...you will be too late to eat at Ruby Tuesday but you can find someplace at an exit off 78 to get a bite!

have fun....

Why not drive about an hour from Bayonne and stay at one of the beaches? There are plenty of B&B's and hotels from Highlands down to Tom's River and you'll have a nice, relaxing evening before your cruise.

they aren't leaving ohio until 3 or 4...t's a 8-9 hour drive depending on stops....no time to relax and enjoy the area!

I'm sorry, I don't think we would see the beaches...either way, whatever time we leave Ohio, it will be after 11 pm when we arrive in PA or NJ, so we just need a cheap hotel for 8 of us.....the B&B's aren't too practical for 6 kids...Thanks so much though for the suggestion..sounds good if I did not have the whole crew!!!

I would never stay in the Allentown area to leave on a Ship out of Bayonne, that is 1 1/2 hrs away and depending on traffic, it could take 3 hrs. I am from that area also, in fact I am the Postmaster at the office where DeSales University is at (Center Valley). The highway I-78 is jammed up with traffic a lot of times, (I take it every day to work and back) I would try something closer to NJ. I am leaving in June out of Bayonne and have purchased the Bus Royal Caribbean provides for round trip from Allentown to Bayonne. I can not help you with hotels, since I always commute either by bus or limo to NYC/NJ ports. Good Luck!

2755 station avenue, CVPa 18034.....

20 years later, i remember the address...SMALL WORLD!!! scary!!!!! of course back when i was there is was Allentown college and 2755 station avenue didn't exist.....LOL

julie..you may have to call a couple hotels and ask....you are over the max occupancy so you may need 2 rooms....food for thought.....

(a lot of it is set by fire code....) so you would have to call the actual hotels and NOT be transferred to central reservations....maybe they could work out a little deal for you if they aren't busy......

it's actually a diner now....if that is what you are thinking of.....rats...

i had to google it....

http://www.clintonstationdiner.com/

clinton station..BEEN THERE DONE THAT! YUMMMMMMMM....

Thats the one and it would be a great place for cookie to stop and eat along the way.

I think you are going to need two rooms as well but out of the hotels in the area, the Residence Inn was not that expensive.

D.

If you want affordable and by the port, take the Best Western Newark Airport. It is not the greatest of areas but the hotel was clean, they offer breakfast, and have a free shuttle to the port so you dont have to pay for parking. That hotel has mixed reviews here but I thought it was fine for one night. I put in your dates and came up with $99 for a regular double room and $149 for the park and cruise.

D.

DSCN1077.jpg.d17ba697bcf5de3f467927dc6082bf20.jpg

DSCN1078.jpg.23d9e37c141cbe7d75d8df1da46aa2dc.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg.91d2d70707871191d93e63fa76bcea87.jpg

With all due respect to familycruzer, do not stay at the Best Western Newark Airport.

It is isolated and in a high crime area. I stayed there in 2003 and got robbed at gunpoint and got no help from the hotel.

The area is so bad, the entire hotel is fenced in.

Google Newark and crime rate and see what comes up.

cookie, If you go Exedia.com and search hotels in Newark, you will get a lot of them around the area and most are around $100 - $125.

You might want to check out hotwire and biddingfortravel and see what you can get as well.

You can also read reviews at tripadvisor.com to see what others have said and make your own decision. You do have options with a bit of research.

I went to betterbidding and searched hotels for you.

It looks like the 3.5 star hotels on Hotwire for December 13 will either be one of the two hotels listed below. Read some reviews on these and see what you think.

$105

3.5* Hilton Gateway at Penn Station

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

(same as Hilton Newark Airport)

3.5* Hilton Newark Airport (previously 3*)

Amenities: Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

(same as Hilton Gateway)

I am not familar with betterbidding....Do I have to pay upfront?....that always scares me...so much can happen between now and then...maybe if I call the Hotel directly???......How far are these hotels to the port???

Thank you!!

skip the best western..PITA to get in and out of and, sorry fellow diner pal,....it isn't so swell..

also skip the hilton penn station in DT newark.....sorry about the RI...do not know why it is so high.....oh..you are staying on a thursday that is why!

Try the Fairfield Inn & Suites Edison...maybe 30 miles from the port...if youhave AAA it is 116.10 per room per night

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrfi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-edison

less than 275 for both (total, with tax)....at least there is a free breakfast...

Other choices in the 150$$ range....Country Inn & Suites, Extended Stay America (just have tissues and shampoo handy..no breakfast though-

Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark AIrport

Sheraton 4 points Newark a/p (was just remodeled....this one can be a PITA to get into so you'd want to have good directions! (not in a bad area, just a little confusing...but most of the traffic will be gone)

if you find something, tyr calling the hotel...maybe you could talk them into a break on the room rate....(most likely wouldn't work with a marriott branded hotel but you never know)

hth...(uh, i will send you a bill...and i am sure familycruzer will too! LOL :D )

Archived