Best places to have dinner in Barcelona

Hi,

Our favorite Barcelona restaurant for paella is 7 Portes (Doors). Go to www.7portes.com and view their website. We have a reservatio for October 30th.

Sheila

I checked out the link. Sounds wonderful, and in some good company with those past famous guests too! Luv Antonio Banderas, if they are good enough for him then they will be for me.

I have 2 questions though, our cruise is not until May 4, 08 so first how far in advance will I need to make a reservation and second how did you make yours, by e-mail?? Phone??? Do they speak English, I read through their English site, would imagine someone does speak English there.

Paella is one of my favorite dishes, I have had several versions and look forward to the true Spanish version.

Thanks,

Cindy

Hi,

Just got back yesterday. We went to Ciudad Condal for dinner. There were 6 of us and we all loved it. We tried every tapa on the menu! Have fun...Barcelona is beautiful.

Hedy

We have eaten there every time that we have been in Barcelona. It has always been excellent.

Dear Cindy,

You can wait until about six weeks before your cruise. People eat late in Europe so we usually make an early reservation to beat the crowds and the smokers. Our ship is supposed to leave at midnight, so we made a 7:00 p.m. reservation. I just emailed them at the email address on their website and they responded right away. It's a big place, but fills up because the food is good. Hopefully, Spain is going non-smoking in restaurants. We were in France in March and they were looking forward to the restaurants and hotel bars going non-smoking this November. When we stopped in Brussels, they were non-smoking.

Sheila

Hi,

Our favorite Barcelona restaurant for paella is 7 Portes (Doors). Go to www.7portes.com and view their website. We have a reservatio for October 30th.

Sheila

An absolutely wonderful restaurant. I've eaten there twice & both times excellent!! Food, service, ambiance all tops even though it is a bit pricey it is worth it.

Another great restaurant in the Bario Gothic is Los Caracoles, Calle Escudellers, off La Ramblas 14. Phone: 93 302 31 85. Very unique & their specialty is roast chicken. Very reasonably priced.

Regards,

Cory Lynn

These are a few suggestions of where and what to eat in Barcelona.

1. Luz de Gas, Port Vell, Delante Palau de Mar. Save this for a sunny afternoon. It is a two-tiered boat that is moored in the harbor and which has seating on the boat and on the pier next to where the boat is tied up. You can usually expect to wait about 15 minutes for a table on the boat and in the shade of an umbrella As an example, a plate of cheese, lentils with sausage, prawns, and a bottle of wine will cost approximately 32.00e ($44.00) for two. You can just have drinks here and it is very pleasant.

2. Kiosko Universal in the Boqueria. It is so busy here for lunch that you have to tell one waiter, who waits on tables off to the side, how many you are. If you manage to just sit down you might be asked to get back up if there were people ahead of you. It is not unlikely to wait an hour for two seats but you can sip a beer or two to help pass the time and it is worth it. (You might notice that there are "friends of the house" who got seats before you, but be patient). And be warned: They close at 4:00 and if you get there after 3:30, you might not get a seat. The later you go, the more chance something will be sold out.

The Kiosko serves one of the best tapas in Barcelona, a big, double hand-full of terriminos. These are tiny clams, no more than a half-inch across that are grilled with oil and salt. They open up and you eat them one-at-a-time with a beer or copa of cava. Then you can have a plate of grilled vegatables, a plate of grilled squid with potatoes. *Then* a grilled fillet of bream or sea bass. All this and four glasses of cava will cost apporximately 42.00e for two.

3. Bar-restaurant Elisabets, C/ Elisabets . You might not wander into this small restaurant on your own but it is mentined in several guides and it is as good as many of the more expensive restaurants. It is a smallish, crowded, local place where a plate of ham, a plate of cheese, the local sausage, and a bottle of the vino de meson - house wine - will cost approximately 19.22e for two, a bargain!

The house wine here was brought in an open, re-used bottle, and not in a carafe. This is OK for a house wine, but just FYI if you order a bottle of wine and it is brought to you opened, send it back as there is no telling what is in the bottle. A bottle of wine should be opened in front of you after you have been presented the bottle so you can see the label. After that it is up to you whether you want to hold it up to the light, sniff it, then taste it.

4. Can Majo, C/ Almirall Aixada 23, just off the beach. This is a good restaurant to try fideua, the Catalan version of paella. A dinner for two with a bottle of wine will cost approximately 60.00e ($80.00)

5. Can Ramonet, C/ Carbonell 5, This is a small, local seafood restaurant just to the east of the harbor off the Pg. Joan de Borbó and this is a good restaurant to try paella. A dinner of paella and a bottle of wine will be approximately 78.00e ($98.00) for two.

6. Costa Gallega, Passeig de Gracia, 71. This is a good sidewalk restaurant to try after a visit to the Casa Batllo which it is very close to. You sit outside under an umbrella on the main street, but it is not noisy or uncomfortable. Here try had olives, fried calamai and a great bowl of mussels, and a carafe of Sangria. This will cost approximately 50.00e ($67.00) for two.

7. Peru, Pg. Joan de Borbó, a restaurant that is not mentioned in a guide. This is not open every night and there is a minimum of four tapas which must be ordered for dinner, but it was a great meal. A typical meal here consists of a plate of assorted olives, grilled sardines, grilled peppers, and another local sausage, with a bollte of wine. If you finish with two glasses of the local Catalan herbal liquor it will cost approximately 37.00e ($50.00) for two.

8. Els Quatre Gats (4 cats), Montsio, 3 bis. This is mentioned in many of the guidebooks and with the number of people eating here, it is a good idea to make reservations. A nice meal here consists of a plate of pan amb tomaquet, a big dish of mussels, tuna in oil, grilled vegatables, and a bottle of the house wine, "mas negre", a local red wine. This will be approximately 53.00e for two.

9. Lonja de Tapas (Celler of Tapas), Plaça de Universitat, 5. This is an excellent restaurant in which to try tapas.Try a bottle of Catalonian wine (idoia), calamacitos (small grilled fish), chistorra (sausage), padron (small green peppers roughly the size of your thumb), escalivada (grilled veggies) , pan amb tomaquet (tomato on bread, heated), orujo Pondal (an afterdinner liquor) All for 63.00e ($83.00) for two.

Or have a bottle of Catalonian wine (idoia), padron (those green peppers), jamon Joselito (local ham), queso cabra (goat cheese), parrillada (mixed, grilled meats), mariscada (a kind of seafood stew), pan amb tomaquet. This is 75.00e ($103.00) for two.

Pjk

Dear Cindy,

You can wait until about six weeks before your cruise. People eat late in Europe so we usually make an early reservation to beat the crowds and the smokers. Our ship is supposed to leave at midnight, so we made a 7:00 p.m. reservation. I just emailed them at the email address on their website and they responded right away. It's a big place, but fills up because the food is good. Hopefully, Spain is going non-smoking in restaurants. We were in France in March and they were looking forward to the restaurants and hotel bars going non-smoking this November. When we stopped in Brussels, they were non-smoking.

Sheila

An absolutely wonderful restaurant. I've eaten there twice & both times excellent!! Food, service, ambiance all tops even though it is a bit pricey it is worth it.

Another great restaurant in the Bario Gothic is Los Caracoles, Calle Escudellers, off La Ramblas 14. Phone: 93 302 31 85. Very unique & their specialty is roast chicken. Very reasonably priced.

Regards,

Cory Lynn

Thank you both for the help. We will be at the Royal Ramblas Hotel for two different nights and that will make things simple for us. Early sounds good for the night of we arrive since I am expecting due to jet lag we will want to turn in early. LOL.

8. Els Quatre Gats (4 cats), Montsio, 3 bis. This is mentioned in many of the guidebooks and with the number of people eating here, it is a good idea to make reservations. A nice meal here consists of a plate of pan amb tomaquet, a big dish of mussels, tuna in oil, grilled vegatables, and a bottle of the house wine, "mas negre", a local red wine. This will be approximately 53.00e for two.

Pjk

We just got home this evening from our Millennium cruise and 3 nights in Barcelona. We tried to walk into the 4Cats our first night (8:15pm...early by Barcelona standards) and they were too busy to take us. We had our hotel make a reservation for us for last night. Oh my! What a perfect ending to a 3 week European adventure! The food was great, the service was great, and the violinist and piano player were an added treat. We highly recommend it!

Just make sure you are seated in the back room and not out front (if want the complete experience).

Steve

724779569_IMG_9883(2).jpg.f03c4bdd0eff3f9f88efc67be2a2c6b0.jpg

885467268_IMG_9860(2).jpg.64f1eec48922e829c61e3a4a6d2e5d4d.jpg

1777114170_IMG_9832(2).jpg.b827176a2e2a25194790ffdb5fec4074.jpg

1263188045_IMG_9839(2).jpg.c0cd1a8476488df2b627cf95afe134f8.jpg

1430800785_IMG_9875(2).jpg.36da20456f2935d206b69b2358d50a99.jpg

Regards,

Cory Lynn

Cory Lynn, I wholeheartedly agree. Los Caracoles was established by the Bofarull family in 1835 and is still operated by the fifth generation of this family. It is a truly delightful dinning experience. I have eaten here many, many times. Check out their website: www.loscaracoles.es

Ron

highly rec. the Attic on Las Ramblas near the meridien--we had the best meal of our trip there--a great lunch--the service & food were excellent! Expensive but not prohibitve--they charge extra for special breads & wtaer that they offer you--it's worth it.. You can get paella anywhere but this was good dining & presentation...

Archived