New to Regent..Navigator vs Mariner?

Maineac

March 14th is the beginning of Spring Break, so you might want to avoid the Navigator.

Eric, how long does spring break last for?? We are on the Mariner leaving March 24th and I just noticed that it's one of those "kids cruise free promos" It's also Easter Monday!

Pat

You are smack dab in the high season of Spring Break! :eek:

I don't think I would even do a kids free with my kids on Regent during that week. It probably would be an overcapacity situation for a high quality kid's program...and that would be bad for everyone...especially at Regent's price point. (I am thinking for those who are not desirous of cruising with other's children, "Where luxury meets...(maybe I should just leave it at that!;) )

I also had a concern about the "kids sail free" on the Navigator's March 14th sailing. But, after talking to my TA she brought up a good point, not many kids can take 2 weeks off from school.:rolleyes:

I also had a concern about the "kids sail free" on the Navigator's March 14th sailing. But, after talking to my TA she brought up a good point, not many kids can take 2 weeks off from school.:rolleyes:

Probably not many. However, we were on a 32-day cruise recently (not Regent) where there were several very well-behaved children who reportedly were home schooled.

Thanks Eric!

I checked and was told that there are 22 kids onboard the Mariner to date. That's only 3% if the ship is full with 700 pax. So I'm not too worried about it right now and it's the head count come final payment and boarding that matters I guess. I just can't see the crew on Regent allowing kids to bother the other pax, if the kids were so inclined, so I'll go with flow and think postive. It's listed as being a Club Mariner date also so they are thinking of how to entertain them and keep them happy.

Pat

This may clinch it for you, MAINEAC, but our agent informed us the March 4th Mariner cruise is a 60 percent off special!!! We told him to book it, even though we hadn't planned to do the Caribbean again this soon. There was a Navigator cruise in February for the same deal, but we've sailed both an much prefer Mariner. You will probably have NO kids on March 4th unless there is a corporate group on board where people have brought their kids. Look for groups any time but during high season.

As to cost, two for one is 50% and the current special is 60%, which works out to about $400 pp on the lower priced suites.

We prefer Mariner due to both size and comfort. The public areas on Mariner are larger and there are the two additional specialty restaurants, Signatures and Latitudes, which many cruisers consider the finest dining at sea (though we did enjoy Portofino on Navigator). There is also much dispute among RSSC cruisers concerning the amount of vibration on Navigator. Some say it's not that bad, but we had significant problems with it and some of the crew even joke about the vibration in some of the less expensive suites closer to the stern. However, despite those misgivings, no cruise on Regent is ever really bad. You have none of the standing in line, being nickled and dimed to death or other stuff that happens on the mass market cruises.

I have also given examples, in the past, as to why Regent is different in customer care from the other lines. On the last night of the Alaska cruise the room stewardess threw out some books and brochures we had left on the floor. The chief housekeeper actually went dumpster diving to recover what she could. On the next run through the inland passage, the ship sent a customer service person to the places I had gone to gather up new copies of the lost materials which were Fedexed to me along with a gift video (and $500 credit on our next cruise). On the Carribean cruise, during which the name was officially changed from Radisson to Regent, my wife had mentioned to the head of hotel services that she loved the delicate china used during tea service and would love to purchase some when RSSC was ready to sell the china with the old logo. A week after arriving home we got a box of teacups delivered, compliments of the hotel officer.:D You don't get this kind of stuff on mass market lines.

Thank you hvsteve1.....I've got to stop second guessing myself!!!

As I said before, this will be our first cruise on a luxury line and our first cruise alone in many years. I'm sure Navigator and Regent will not disappoint.

Thank you hvsteve1.....I've got to stop second guessing myself!!!

As I said before, this will be our first cruise on a luxury line and our first cruise alone in many years. I'm sure Navigator and Regent will not disappoint.

I loved the Navigator and the intimacy of it. You will too, I'm sure.

I saw that sale too and we just switched form the March 24th cruise to the March 04 itinerary. Regent did confirm that to date there is not one child booked on the March 4th cruise. We booked into a Cat G and I know from when I was pricing out cruises 2 weeks ago that with the 60% sale we saved $855.00 per person compared to when it was 2 for 1. Also, I was told that the price for the Cat H currently listed on Regent's website is incorrect. A computer glitch did not reduce the price of the Cat H to reflect the 60% off and they have not fixed it yet. I guess because it's already sold out.

Pat

Hi, CANADAGAL,

We just booked the same cruise in Cat F. We weren't going to cruise again just yet, but have been dying to get back on Mariner and couldn't resist the deal. We also wanted a cruise where we could enjoy the ship without having to worry about missing shore excursions such as in Alaska. As we did this route last year on Navigator, including three days in San Juan, we won't feel guilty about having lunch, using the spa or lounging by the pool while most others head down the gangway. Sailing from FLL also saves a lot of time and expense as opposed to last year's cruise which left from SJ. Jetblue flies direct from our local airport at $79.

BTW, hate to say I missed my planned trip to Toronto this month to take in the massed military band concert at Roy Thomson Hall due to work. I did make it for my annual Canada day visit to Halifax for the Tattoo. My wife and I are real fans of Canada. Maybe we'll have a chat on the cruise.:)

Archived