New to Regent..Navigator vs Mariner?

Maineac

I thought all ships had a maximum capacity and that children do count as passengers. So I don’t understand how the kids could interfere with the passenger crew ratio.

We’re empty nesters and are looking forward to our Regent cruise as more of more adult experience. When we were ready to book we decided not to sail on any of the “kids sale free” promo sailings.

I have never seen a "maximum capacity" stated on the RSSC website for its ships -- nor on any line's site for its ships for that matter. What is stated is the "maximum double occupancy" capacity, which assumes that all rooms/suites are full with double occupancy guests. In the real world, and on sailings without promotions to increase tripple (or greater) occupancy of the rooms/suites) ships tend to sail at something less than "full double occupancy capacity" even though all rooms/suites are occupied. That is because single occupancy is common on lines like RSSC, and tripple (or greater) occupancy is rare. An experienced RSSC Hotel Manager has told me that cruises are better when occupancy is at 80% or less of "double occupancy capacity" as the service will be better. When ships are less than full (by the double ocupancy standard) the passenger/crew ratio goes down, which means fewer guests for the crew to tend to. We once cruised the Navigator with only 190 guests onboard. There was LESS than one guest per crew member. You can imagine how great service was!

When "kids cruise free" the dynamic is reversed, and the RSSC ship may well have more tripple (or greater) occupancy rooms/suites than single occupancy units. So the "double occupancy capacity" can be exceeded in these cases. Even if such capacity were not exceeded, but only reached, this is a formula for a less than optimum cruise. Because cruises are better when the ship is not as full as full "double occupancy capacity."

My question was whether RSSC limits those free tripple + occupancy rooms/suites so as to keep the population down to a dull roar -- which it was not on our Diamond cruise about which I posted above.

Cruise ships do have a maximum capacity. Regent states that the maximum capacity of Voyager is 700. So, that begs the question does Regent count the kids in their parents cabins as souls and do they have enough spaces on the life boats if they don’t! :eek:

I visited the Regent website, and all I could find was a statement that the Mariner (for example) has a "capacity" of 700 guests. But the deck plans show 358 rooms. At double occupancy, that would be 716. At full tripple occupancy this would be an unacceptable 1074 guests. So perhaps you are correct that Regent will not book guests above their stated maximum. I hope so. Indeed, whether this is so or not was the subject of my question.

I was on the Navigator during a "kids sail free" trip a couple of years ago, and did not see or hear a single child the entire time. I've sailed about 8 times on RSSC ships, and can count on my fingers the number of children I've seen aboard. And, they're usually infants with a high adorability rating and low obnoxious rating. But maybe I've just gotten very lucky on that score.

I visited the Regent website, and all I could find was a statement that the Mariner (for example) has a "capacity" of 700 guests. But the deck plans show 358 rooms. At double occupancy, that would be 716. At full tripple occupancy this would be an unacceptable 1074 guests. So perhaps you are correct that Regent will not book guests above their stated maximum. I hope so. Indeed, whether this is so or not was the subject of my question.

I’m not trying to answer your question but rather I am combining two related responses to poise an additional question. The one comment that puzzled me was the decline in service due to the children sailing in their parent’s cabin thus reducing the crew to pax ratio.

Your question about limiting the number of cabins available for the promo is what made me ask the additional question about maximum capacity and if Regent is counting the children in the maximum capacity.

I have found several review sources that list the maximum capacity for cruise ships. The highest I recall seeing listed for a Regent ship is 750.

What you all are ignoring is the fact that there are only certain suites which allow triple occupancy. This applies even on the kids sail free promo. I know this from personal experience having had one of those evil kids of my own on a voyage. (and yes, he was well-behaved) You have to book a suite that allows triple occupancy--they don't allow 3 people in the other suites.

I went to the website and counted. On the Voyager, only 52 suites allow triple occupancy, so the maximum number of extra passengers if every one of those were booked with three persons (very unlikely scenario) would be 52.

We loved the Mariner- the balcony- the observation lounge-the restaurants- the all inclusive alcohol policy... We were on a kids sail free cruise,and I would have preferred otherwise. The kids racing up and down the hallways, stairs, and other areas reminded me of our RC cruise. Since the weather was mostly cool/rainy in Alaska, hardly anyone used the pools/hot tubs, including the kids. Now that we cruise alone, I prefer ones with minimal kids on board.

When were on the PG in May 2006, there were only a few, very well behaved kids.

Well, we didn't see any "evil kids" on our Diamond cruise of which I posted above. Rather, just a cruise on which there were more guests than the service crew could take care of in true "RSSC style." I am glad to hear that there is some limit on the "tripple occupancy" suites, as I saw more than 52 children on our Diamond cruise, and the Diamond accomodated about 1/2 the guests at double occupancy as the Voyager.

Now, to make my point, we have cruised the Voyager when she was at her double occupancy maximum of 700 guests -- and none of them (as I could see) were children. IMO, she was a bit crowded and the service a bit rushed, given the standards for a true "luxury cruise." Now, if we had taken the "guest load" up a bit to 752, we've got the ingrediants for one bad cruise here. Regardless of the age of the additional 52 guests.

Of course, I am not counting infants, who (when onboard) cause no extra work for the service crew. Indeed, I like infants very much, as I do children of all ages. The concern here is with maintaining a LOW passenger/crew ratio and a HIGH passenger to space ratio. These are the hallmarks of a true luxury cruise. And given the extent to which Regents fares have risen over the last few years, I feel that ALL guests paying them are entitled to a true luxury cruise. Regardless of their age.

Since the number of teens and pre-teens on an RSSC cruise will be very low, they will not have the "critical mass" to form roving gangs of troublemakers.

What I observed was that the teens, or even pre-teens, noticed quickly that they were around mostly adults and began acting very grown up. And the pax/crew treated them as adults. It was a treat seeing them all dressed up on formal night, etc., using their best manners :)

Just wondering if you know for a fact that there won't be many children on board. It would be helpful if people knew the ratio of children/adults in advance so they could make an informed decision.

While I agree that many teenagers and pre-teens can act like little adults (not exactly sure why would want to -- after all, it's their vacation too) -- my less than wonderful experiences have been with children under 5 -- especially toddlers. Isn't it "normal" for little ones to to get tired and cranky (especially after long plane trips)? No matter how well-behaved parents think their children are, most children want to run around a bit and even scream when they are excited.

Ideally, families with children can enjoy RSSC during the summer and holidays while people who prefer cruises with mostly adults can enjoy their experience as well. JMO

I wonder if their's any way of finding out how many kids will be on board before final payment is made.:confused:
you can call them and they'll tell you. we did that and found out we had 26 kids on our last cruise.

Really? You can all the cruise line and they'll let you know how many kids are sailing? That surprises me that they would give out that info.

We, like so many traveling on a lux cruise line, finished raising our children a few years ago. When we went on SS last October there were only 2 children on board and we saw them two times! It was a pleasure seeing them when we did...they were very well behaved :) .

But I must admit that it was a pleasure not having so many onboard as we have experienced with the mass market lines.

March 14th is the beginning of Spring Break, so you might want to avoid the Navigator.

Also, I am not a fan of the Navigator not only because of the vibration issues, but because the layout of the various public rooms just doesn't work for me. They seem forced into spaces and configurations that just don't make sense. The Navigator is one of only a few higher end ships I would struggle to revisit.

The Mariner is a fine ship with many positives, from layout to dining, to passenger to space ratio. It would unequivocally be my choice if the itineraries are fairly close.

Especially moving over from RCCL with its diverse public venues and options, I would strongly recommend the Mariner over the Navigator...kids issue aside.

March 14th is the beginning of Spring Break, so you might want to avoid the Navigator.

We want to cruise in March without a bunch of kids onboard, and certainly don't feel it is fair that children should sail free when seniors (eg. mothers-in-law as third occupants in a cabin) cannot.

Yes, I am not sure why they have those promotions - they want to encourage families but only those with kids less than 11? At least Regent only charges a portion of the overall fee for most 3rd passengers, whereas Crystal charges a full fare for the 3rd passenger. They are offering a LOT of "kids sail free" so it really doesn't make sense!

I do have a bias. I have a 12 year old, so we are paying for her as if she is a full adult as a 3rd passenger (again, at least it is less on Regent than on some other cruise lines). Bottom line, not sure of the logic of these promotions.

we will be sailing in March 08 with our "little mons.....ahhh darlings" - two of them - both 13 - they will be well behaved, polite, courteous and friendly - they will also have fun, use the pool, make new friends and most likely laugh a lot - i sincerely hope that a couple of young teenagers acting like this would not ruin your cruise experience -

The cruise Ragnar and BillP are talking about had the family with kids under 7. Not teens. Rag, I didn't realize you were "lucky" enough to have had them entertain you on your flight!:eek:

Esther

Archived