What's the deal w/the dining room?

I've seen various posts (my goodness, this site has zillions, can't read more than a few :( ) on kids in the dining room. We're going on our first cruise and I have 4 girls who will be 14,12,5&3 and my sister's will be 7&4. We're scheduled for the 6pm seating on Mariner. (Cruising July 6, 2008 BTW)

1)Does dinner take a long time?

2)Why is everyone worried about kids acting up? Is it longer than at a restaurant?

3)Is it buffet or served? If served, do you get a choice? If so, what -for example?

4)Why wouldn't you want your kids there w/you for dinner, and, if they eat elsewhere, where would that be and how do you plan that-plus, would it cost extra?

Thanks everyone!

In the main dining room, dinner can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and half. Usually with kids, the waiters will do everything to speed it along. With early seating, your kids will probably eat and then want to go up to Adventure Ocean when it opens at 7, so you could have one parent take the kids up to AO while the adults enjoy a leisurely dessert.

As to being worried about the kids, some kids act up, especially some of the younger kids. They just can't help it because they aren't used to meals taking more than 15 to 30 minutes. But if your kids are used to going to nice restaurants they should be fine.

The meal in the dining room is served; it isn't a buffet. The menus change everynight, but will include several appetizers, a few soups and salads, and a choice of several entries usually one beef, one chicken, one seafood, one pasta, and a vegetarian, and they will always have a plain steak and plain chicken dish. And they do have kids menus available (and adults can even order from it if they want)1.

If you don't want to eat in the main dining room, you can also take them to the Windjammer Buffet (there is no extra charge for this).

Dinner will take anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours in the main dining room. Took us 2 hours every night. Yes, they serve you and it is several courses. You do get a choice, usually a meat, fish, chicken pasta and/or vegetarian dish. They usually have a themed dish every night as well, and also have some dishes that are the same every night, but for the most part the menu changes every night.

The windjammer is a casual dining experience and is buffet style if you prefer that. And the speciality restaurants (Chops Steakhouse & Portofino Italian Restaurant) do not allow children under 13.

The dining room is included in your fare, as is the Windjammer. But Chops and Portofino carry a $20 per person surcharge.

I've seen various posts (my goodness, this site has zillions, can't read more than a few :( ) on kids in the dining room. We're going on our first cruise and I have 4 girls who will be 14,12,5&3 and my sister's will be 7&4. We're scheduled for the 6pm seating on Mariner. (Cruising July 6, 2008 BTW)

2)Why is everyone worried about kids acting up? Is it longer than at a restaurant?

3)Is it buffet or served? If served, do you get a choice? If so, what -for example?

4)Why wouldn't you want your kids there w/you for dinner, and, if they eat elsewhere, where would that be and how do you plan that-plus, would it cost extra?

Thanks everyone!

1) 1-1/2 - 2 hours, the earlier you can get in and get your order placed the shorter it will be.

2) If your kids are well behaved in restaurants they should be fine.

3) Served. There is a different menu every day with a couple of standard stand-by selections.

4) I don't know why one might want to dine with there children, maybe there monsters and need to get away from them:D. The only place the kids would eat that would be extra would be Johnny Rockets where they have a cover charge, the Windjammer is the buffet and is free.

It's usually about 2 hrs. start to finish.

Because misbehaving kids ruin the experience for others.

It is a sit down, served meal - salad, appetizers, entrée and dessert. There are four or five choices for appetizers, entrée and dessert. The choices change every night. There is also a kids menu to choose from.

We've always taken our kids to the dining room but they are well behaved and know how to act properly. We use it (just like at home) to talk about what everyone did that day and how much fun they had and then we plan our evening and next morning's activities.

Thanks everyone!

I took my 2 grandaughters on the Jewel of the Sea last year they were 10 and 16 they loved eating in the diningroom the waiters treated the little one like a princess in fact that is what he called her.The childrens program that they provide was wonderful and the 10 yo never missed she really loved it. The 16 yo just wanted to tan and she had a great time. I am sure your children will love it. Lorelle

Welcome to CC. There is a family board here where we discuss all kinds of tips about cruising with kids. So come on over. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

And to answer your questions...

NO, not for those with kids. I keep seeing these estimates of 2 hours or more...NOT with kids. ;) We have early seating at 6pm and our kids are on their way to the Adventure Ocean by 7pm. The waiters have a tendency to quicken the pace when you are with kids. :)

Everyone overreacts that there are screaming kids everywhere ruining their dining experience. I rarely have seen any kids in the dining room seated around us and I have never seen any screaming kids. We are on our 8th cruise. Are we just lucky not to see screaming kids everywhere? I just think some exagerate the problem.

Served, with multiple courses. If you go to the search option you may be able to track down the actual menu onboard.

It's a rule on our cruises that the kids eat with the family. Then they can go off to Adventure Ocean (which they beg me to go all through dinner) The kids *can* eat in the Windjammer (the buffet) before your dinnertime. No additional charge.

Main seating (1st seating) is the more appropriate choice for kids. Dinner will be a bit faster and the kids will be done in time to partake of the evening activities. Adults and children as well will be able to partake of any late night buffets or h'or deuves, while the 2nd seating will be too full to do that!

Everyone overreacts that there are screaming kids everywhere ruining their dining experience. I rarely have seen any kids in the dining room seated around us and I have never seen any screaming kids. We are on our 8th cruise. Are we just lucky not to see screaming kids everywhere? I just think some exagerate the problem.

Yes, you have been very lucky not to have screaming kids. I had one experience with late seating and the toddler at the next table crying and screaming through the whole meal. She was probably tired and bored with the whole thing and should have been in bed. Late seating is too late for young children in my opinion.

When I took my 7 yr (at the time) grandaughter we were seated with a couple with a Terrible Two year old. Our table was near the kitchen door and had a parade of waiters with heavy trays all through the meal. This other couple let the two yr old down to run around. A waiter came through the door with a heavy tray and almost fell over the child. The parents had the nerve to berate the waiter.

These are but two examples of what folks on these boards complain about. I would love to see the cruise lines restrict children to the early seating. When my kids were little I only took them out for dinner during what I considered the family hours, ie. before 7 PM. When my DH and I went out alone we did so later in the evening after the kids supposedly were done and home in bed.

1)Does dinner take a long time? Not really. It's probably about 1 1/2 hrs on average.

2)Why is everyone worried about kids acting up? Is it longer than at a restaurant? Don't let the vocal minority fool you. Some people are worried about kids acting up. Most aren't. It's longer than some restaurants, but not really much longer than any other sit-down service restaurant, where you would be having a multi-course meal (appetizers, salad/soup, main course, dessert).

4)Why wouldn't you want your kids there w/you for dinner, and, if they eat elsewhere, where would that be and how do you plan that-plus, would it cost extra? Some people are anxious to get away from their kids. ;) There are also usually a night or two where the kids' club (Adventure Ocean) will have special group dinners at Johnny Rockets, with all the kids dining together. Many of the kids enjoy that and want to participate. Except for that, we always have our son dine w/ us, but he may leave early to go to AO.

Thanks everyone!

. . . .

We took our daughter on her first cruise when she was 7. When she was about 4 my dad decided it was time to start taking her to nice restaurants, and therefore knew how to behave and be charming to the waiters. She was always offered the kids menu, but she usually ordered at least part of her meal off the adult menu. That endeared her to our waiter since the other kids at the table only ordered cheese pizza and chicken fingers. Of course the danger is that your 7 year old wants to start ordering lobster at restaurants with grandpa.

Can you still get something that isn't on the menu?

I remember on our cruise 9 yrs ago, there was one night I just wanted a "normal" salad...all the salads were these weird combinations and I was in the mood for just a plan ol' salad. I asked our server and he brought me exactly what I asked for.

Do they still do this?

Yes, you have been very lucky not to have screaming kids. I had one experience with late seating and the toddler at the next table crying and screaming through the whole meal. She was probably tired and bored with the whole thing and should have been in bed. Late seating is too late for young children in my opinion.

When I took my 7 yr (at the time) grandaughter we were seated with a couple with a Terrible Two year old. Our table was near the kitchen door and had a parade of waiters with heavy trays all through the meal. This other couple let the two yr old down to run around. A waiter came through the door with a heavy tray and almost fell over the child. The parents had the nerve to berate the waiter.

These are but two examples of what folks on these boards complain about. I would love to see the cruise lines restrict children to the early seating. When my kids were little I only took them out for dinner during what I considered the family hours, ie. before 7 PM. When my DH and I went out alone we did so later in the evening after the kids supposedly were done and home in bed.

Yeah I do agree. I personally think late seating is too late for most kids. Especially young kids. Unless the child is from a location with a different time zone and late seating is their normal dinner time. Otherwise, kids do better at early seating.

abba_dabba_doo - Oh yeah. You can get pretty much whatever you want within reason. They will go out of their way to accomodate you. :)

Yeah I do agree. I personally think late seating is too late for most kids. Especially young kids. Unless the child is from a location with a different time zone and late seating is their normal dinner time. Otherwise, kids do better at early seating.

abba_dabba_doo - Oh yeah. You can get pretty much whatever you want within reason. They will go out of their way to accomodate you. :)

Thanks! And I agree....there is no way I'd make my DD's wait until 8:00 to eat dinner..........they would be so cranky!

Here is a sample 7 day menu:

Day One

Starters

Melon and Mango – Drizzled with ginger syrup

Melon and Proscuitto

Smoked Fish Tapenade – Smoked fish, onions, capers, fresh herbs, served with crostini coulis

Vidalia Onion Tart – sweet onions and gruyere cheese baked in pastry with red pepper

Tuscan Tomato Soup – Thick rustic soup swirled with basil pesto

Saigon Chicken Noodle Soup – Chicken broth with lemon grass, ginger, noodles and julienne vegetables

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho – Garnished with chopped celery and cucumber

Salad

Spinach Salad – with plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and toasted pine nuts

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Shrimp Ravioli – In a cream coconut lime lobster sauce with wilted spinach and crispy fried leeks

Stuffed Chicken Breast – filled with prosciutto and brie, served with red pimento relish

Slow Roasted prime Rib – with baked potato and horseradish au jus

Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Quesadilla – Folded in a flour tortilla with Manchego cheese and tomato and cilantro salsa

Chef Signature Entrée

Royal Herb Crusted Fillet of Atlantic Cod – with light cream saffron champagne sauce, red skinned mashed potatoes and scallions

Deserts

Ivory Chocolate Fondue – full of mixed berries with a crunchy biscuit

Apple pie a la Mode – Slices of spiced golden delicious apples baked in a double crust pasry topped with vanilla ice cream

Savarin – rum soaked yeast cake filled with banana cream, finished with orange wedges, kadota figs, and chocolate chips

Low Fat Tropical Fruit salad – marinated in grand marnier

Sugar Fee Swan Chantilly – a pastry swan filled with sugar free whipped cream served with apricot puree

Day 2 - Formal Night

Starters

Orange Carpaccio – orange slices, red onions, watercress, feta cheese and cumin mint yogurt

Shrimp Cocktail royal – with cocktail sauce

Escargots Bourguignonne – baked snails in garlic herb butter

Lobster Bisque – finished with cognac and whipped cream

Oxtail Broth – beefy broth and aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

Chilled Golden Pear – Garnished with dried cranberries

Caesar salad

Entrees

Truffled Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo – Linguini pasta folded in a creamy wild mushroom and white truffle sauce

Golden Sea Bass – Pan Seared fillet, Spanish sofrito, black olive polenta and fried capers

Roasted Duck – with black currant sauce, red cabbage and croquette potatoes

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower – with chunky plum tomato sauce and balsamic glaze

Chef Signature Entrée

Filet of Beef – creamy whipped potatoes and crimini mushrooms with green peppercorn sauce

Deserts

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Double Strawberry Cheesecake

Cherries Jubilee

Low Fat Double strawberry Cheesecake

Sugar Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake

Day 3

Starters

Caprese Salad – fresh mozzarella and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil

Antipasti – Cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated Portobello mushrooms, baked caramelized garlic

Scallop Risotto – Sauteed sea scallops over Charred sweet corn and mascarpone risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – with rye bread croutons

Minestrone – A rich Italian soup of vegetables, tomato, and pasta

Chilled Strawberry Bisque – garnished with fresh mint

Salad

Insalata Mista – Mixed greens, zucchini, red bell peppers and black olives

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Rigatoni Pasta – with spiced chorizo sausage, red and green peppers, grilled corn, olive oil and basil

Garlic Tiger Shrimp – Garlic herb baked with seasonal vegetables

Chicken Marsala – Marsala mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Vegetarian Chili – With jalapeno corn bread, grated cheese and sour cream

Chefs Signature Entrée

Lamb Shank with Rosemary – Slowly braised with garlic mashed potatoes and oven roasted vegetables

Deserts

Warm Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Panna Cotta

Tiramisu

Low Fat Angel Food Cake

Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Cake

Day 4

Starters

Mozzarella Salad – over arugula with a tomato basil salsa

Melon with Proscuitto

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail

Scallop and Mussels Gratin – seared with Pernod

Bouillabaisse

Tuscan White Bean Soup

Vichyssoise

Mesulun and Fennel Salad

Entrees

Ravioli Mare Monte – filled with cheese in a crabmeat mushroom sauce

Baked Perch – with sautéed spinach, balsamic and parmesan roasted potatoes and lemon sauce

Royal Sirloin – on a baked eggplant, zucchini and vegetable medley with Sicilian onions and pepper olive salsa

Vegetable paella – saffron rice with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and asparagus tips, garnished with black olives and chopped scallions

Chef Signature Entrée

Coq au Vin – with mushrooms, bacon, caramelized baby inions, grilled polenta and crispy pancetta

Deserts

Crème Catalan

Spanish Orange Almond Cake

Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Tart

Low Fat French Apple Flan

Sugar Free Chocolate Panna Cotta

Day 5

Starters

Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – with roasted marinated zucchini and toasted pita

Shrimp Cocktail

Melon Proscuitto

Spinach Sweet Potato Dip – served warm with crisp tortilla chips

Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup – with crème fraiche and fried sage

Onion Soup – Caramalized onions in beed broth with Gruyere toast

Chilled Forest Berries and Buttermilk soup – a combination of fresh berries blended with buttermilk

Salad

Greek Salad for the Table

Entrees

Grey Goose Vodka and Smoked Salmson Cream Pasta

- Creamy sauce tossed with orechhiette pasta, finished with mushrooms and crushed tomatoes

Roasted Turkey – with apple bread dressing, pan gravy, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce

Grilled NY Strip Steak – Bearnaise sauce, fried potato wedges and zucchini

Indian Vegetable Curry – braised spiced garden vegetables with steamed rice and a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Mahi Mahi Tempura – Lightly battered and fried with homemade sweet and sour sauce, stir fried vegetables

Deserts

Brownie Madness

Key Lime Pie

Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait

Sugar Free Key Lime Pie

Low Fat Strawberry Shortcake

Day 6 – Formal Night

Starters

Sun Ripened Pineapple - Sliced Pineapple, Sun dried apricot ricotta and black pepper

Citrus Cured Salmon - Thinly Slices with a dill cucumber salad

Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff pastry – crimini and oyster mushrooms in flaky pastry

Cream of Asparagus – Garnished with crunchy almonds

Double Duck Consomme – with julienne vegetables and aged port

Roasted Peach Soup – Finished with fresh strawberries

Entrees

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – topped with Portobello mushrooms and fire roasted red pepper pesto

Fisherman’s Plate – A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp with broccoli florets

Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib – cut thick served with baked potato

Asian Fried Tofu – with sautéed bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and red curry sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

Deserts

Desert Sampler – a trio of exquisite tastes

Low fat Berry Mousse

Sugar Free Red Berry Tart

Day 7

Starters

Exotic Fruits

Crab and Shrimp Salad

Melon Proscuitto

Beef and Veal Tortallacci

Jalapeño Potato Soup

Chicken consommé

Chilled Cranberry and Mango soup

Seasonal Greens

Caesar Salad

Entrees

Penne Tarantina – tossed in chunky tomato-garlic sauce, with mussels, shrimp and scallop

Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin with sage mustard Sauce

Slow Roasted Beef Shoulder Fillet – with marscapone roasted potatoes and Shiraz reduction

Asparagus and Brie Tart – grilled plum tomato, arugula, red pepper essence and chive oil

Chef Signature Entrée

Cornmeal Dusted Talapia with Japanese ratatouille and garlic wasabi aioli

Deserts

Choco-Chino Trilogy

BBB

Magic Mango Parfit

Low Fat Exotic Pineapple and Coconut Cake

Steamed Sugar Free Vanilla and Berry Custard

Alternative Selections always available

Ziti with Marinara Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Grilled Chicken Breast with seasonal herbs

Grilled Black Angus Top Sirloin with herb butter

Ice Cream, Sugar Free Ice Cream and sherbet selections

Cheese selection

Thanks everyone!

Dinner is an event, but it's a fun one, even for kids. It takes about 1.5 hours, but just like in a regular restaurant, there is a kids menu, and the waiter will bring crayons, etc. The kids can order off the adult menu too. chicken noodle soup and a plain salad are available, along with children's favorites such as spaghetti and sauce, chicken fingers, hot dogs, burgers, etc. The waiters are very good with the children. I agree with you - dinner time is family time and I want my kids eating with me. They never had a problem with it either. Please don't worry - just go with the flow - early seating on Mariner is perfect because it won't interfere with Adventure Ocean activities. It'll be fine.

I have only been on two cruises and the only time I saw screaming kids running up and down tha aisles were when we were walking up and down the stair cases going to different places.

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Conquest and we had the late seating. The table next to us had a young girl around 5 or 6 years old and she the best tables manners I have ever seen in a child that age. Especially since we didn't start eating until after 8:00 PM.

As for saying that children run amuck during dinner I hardly think that waiters would allow that to happen. Especially since the waiters are constantly going from table to table carring heavey trays filled with dishes of food and glasses of beverages.

Go, enjoy yourselves and if the table next to you mentions that they don't like the way your kids are acting just say something like; "Oh, I'm so sorry that my kids enjoying themselves on their vacation is upsetting you. Would you like for me to ask someone to change your table to another area? It'll be no trouble at all". :p

There are good kids and bad kids the same way as there arae good adults and bad adults.

You will see some posts discussing an obnoxious adult pax. You will see some posts discussing an obnoxious kid or family with kids.

The difference is, when there is a discussion about an incident that involved an adult pax, the response is typically "oh how horrible" -- where as there are posters on these boards that whenever there is a question or discussion of an incident that involves a child their response is "children should be banned from . . . . " (fill in the blank everthing from the dining room to cruising).

Best part is that while you will hear some kid-bashing on these boards; you are unlikely to encounter any or much on board.

Some people just have very low tolerance for kids. And of course there are those kids who do behave badly!

Prepare your kids that they will be dining in a more formal atmosphere than they may commonly dine now (it's not a fast food resturant, its not a school cafeteria, it may not even be much like home). If they know that they will be expected to deal with the wait staff respectfully. Sit (on their bottoms) in there own seat throughout the entire meal and carry on a civilized conversation - you should have most of the stuff covered. Let them know they can bring quiet and otherwise appropirate diversions with to fill in some of the "blanks" (particularly for the very young ones) and otherwise just ENJOY!

A good rule of thumb is that kids have (roughly) 2 minutes of patience for every year they've been alive. So a 10 year old will only have around 20 minutes of patience before he/she becomes restless and/or bored. When they're restless and bored, they're more likely to find "trouble".

Unless you know that you're child has more patience than that, it's in everybody's best interest to avoid those long and boring (to your child) situations.

We've cruised twice with our son. The first time he ate in the dining room with us at 11 months old during the first seating but on the 2nd cruise we got stuck with late seating so we chose to eat in the Windjammer earlier in the evening rather than have a cranky kid in the dining room. On the first cruise we were at a table for 8 with a 3 generation table where the child was mabye 3. Next to our table was an older crowd. Both our own table and the neighboring table loved to see our son every night and commented on his outfit on formal nights when he was dressed up. He did start to get fussy by dessert so we just always got dessert to go although our fellow diners said we should stay. We're doing main seating on our next cruise so our son age 3 will be in the dining room with us again and if he fusses, I'll probably leave while my husband collects any courses we have remaining.

Petel, ditto what my sister, Abba, said! I'm going to have to use the fitness club/track!!!! Wow, yummy!

Thanks everyone. I think I sort of mis-phrased my 4th question about why people wouldn't want to eat w/their kids. I meant it like, was there something prohibitive or very different about the dining room as opposed to a restaurant. Everyone's responses were so tactful and respectful and I appreciate that!

There are definitely time I wouldn't want to be with my own children! :o :) but then, no one else would want to at those times either :rolleyes:

Sounds like we're going to have an awesome time!

Here is a sample 7 day menu:

Day One

Starters

Melon and Mango – Drizzled with ginger syrup

Melon and Proscuitto

Smoked Fish Tapenade – Smoked fish, onions, capers, fresh herbs, served with crostini coulis

Vidalia Onion Tart – sweet onions and gruyere cheese baked in pastry with red pepper

Tuscan Tomato Soup – Thick rustic soup swirled with basil pesto

Saigon Chicken Noodle Soup – Chicken broth with lemon grass, ginger, noodles and julienne vegetables

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho – Garnished with chopped celery and cucumber

Salad

Spinach Salad – with plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and toasted pine nuts

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Shrimp Ravioli – In a cream coconut lime lobster sauce with wilted spinach and crispy fried leeks

Stuffed Chicken Breast – filled with prosciutto and brie, served with red pimento relish

Slow Roasted prime Rib – with baked potato and horseradish au jus

Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Quesadilla – Folded in a flour tortilla with Manchego cheese and tomato and cilantro salsa

Chef Signature Entrée

Royal Herb Crusted Fillet of Atlantic Cod – with light cream saffron champagne sauce, red skinned mashed potatoes and scallions

Deserts

Ivory Chocolate Fondue – full of mixed berries with a crunchy biscuit

Apple pie a la Mode – Slices of spiced golden delicious apples baked in a double crust pasry topped with vanilla ice cream

Savarin – rum soaked yeast cake filled with banana cream, finished with orange wedges, kadota figs, and chocolate chips

Low Fat Tropical Fruit salad – marinated in grand marnier

Sugar Fee Swan Chantilly – a pastry swan filled with sugar free whipped cream served with apricot puree

Day 2 - Formal Night

Starters

Orange Carpaccio – orange slices, red onions, watercress, feta cheese and cumin mint yogurt

Shrimp Cocktail royal – with cocktail sauce

Escargots Bourguignonne – baked snails in garlic herb butter

Lobster Bisque – finished with cognac and whipped cream

Oxtail Broth – beefy broth and aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

Chilled Golden Pear – Garnished with dried cranberries

Caesar salad

Entrees

Truffled Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo – Linguini pasta folded in a creamy wild mushroom and white truffle sauce

Golden Sea Bass – Pan Seared fillet, Spanish sofrito, black olive polenta and fried capers

Roasted Duck – with black currant sauce, red cabbage and croquette potatoes

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower – with chunky plum tomato sauce and balsamic glaze

Chef Signature Entrée

Filet of Beef – creamy whipped potatoes and crimini mushrooms with green peppercorn sauce

Deserts

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Double Strawberry Cheesecake

Cherries Jubilee

Low Fat Double strawberry Cheesecake

Sugar Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake

Day 3

Starters

Caprese Salad – fresh mozzarella and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil

Antipasti – Cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated Portobello mushrooms, baked caramelized garlic

Scallop Risotto – Sauteed sea scallops over Charred sweet corn and mascarpone risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – with rye bread croutons

Minestrone – A rich Italian soup of vegetables, tomato, and pasta

Chilled Strawberry Bisque – garnished with fresh mint

Salad

Insalata Mista – Mixed greens, zucchini, red bell peppers and black olives

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Rigatoni Pasta – with spiced chorizo sausage, red and green peppers, grilled corn, olive oil and basil

Garlic Tiger Shrimp – Garlic herb baked with seasonal vegetables

Chicken Marsala – Marsala mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Vegetarian Chili – With jalapeno corn bread, grated cheese and sour cream

Chefs Signature Entrée

Lamb Shank with Rosemary – Slowly braised with garlic mashed potatoes and oven roasted vegetables

Deserts

Warm Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Panna Cotta

Tiramisu

Low Fat Angel Food Cake

Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Cake

Day 4

Starters

Mozzarella Salad – over arugula with a tomato basil salsa

Melon with Proscuitto

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail

Scallop and Mussels Gratin – seared with Pernod

Bouillabaisse

Tuscan White Bean Soup

Vichyssoise

Mesulun and Fennel Salad

Entrees

Ravioli Mare Monte – filled with cheese in a crabmeat mushroom sauce

Baked Perch – with sautéed spinach, balsamic and parmesan roasted potatoes and lemon sauce

Royal Sirloin – on a baked eggplant, zucchini and vegetable medley with Sicilian onions and pepper olive salsa

Vegetable paella – saffron rice with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and asparagus tips, garnished with black olives and chopped scallions

Chef Signature Entrée

Coq au Vin – with mushrooms, bacon, caramelized baby inions, grilled polenta and crispy pancetta

Deserts

Crème Catalan

Spanish Orange Almond Cake

Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Tart

Low Fat French Apple Flan

Sugar Free Chocolate Panna Cotta

Day 5

Starters

Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – with roasted marinated zucchini and toasted pita

Shrimp Cocktail

Melon Proscuitto

Spinach Sweet Potato Dip – served warm with crisp tortilla chips

Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup – with crème fraiche and fried sage

Onion Soup – Caramalized onions in beed broth with Gruyere toast

Chilled Forest Berries and Buttermilk soup – a combination of fresh berries blended with buttermilk

Salad

Greek Salad for the Table

Entrees

Grey Goose Vodka and Smoked Salmson Cream Pasta

- Creamy sauce tossed with orechhiette pasta, finished with mushrooms and crushed tomatoes

Roasted Turkey – with apple bread dressing, pan gravy, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce

Grilled NY Strip Steak – Bearnaise sauce, fried potato wedges and zucchini

Indian Vegetable Curry – braised spiced garden vegetables with steamed rice and a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Mahi Mahi Tempura – Lightly battered and fried with homemade sweet and sour sauce, stir fried vegetables

Deserts

Brownie Madness

Key Lime Pie

Banana and Crunchy Nut Parfait

Sugar Free Key Lime Pie

Low Fat Strawberry Shortcake

Day 6 – Formal Night

Starters

Sun Ripened Pineapple - Sliced Pineapple, Sun dried apricot ricotta and black pepper

Citrus Cured Salmon - Thinly Slices with a dill cucumber salad

Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff pastry – crimini and oyster mushrooms in flaky pastry

Cream of Asparagus – Garnished with crunchy almonds

Double Duck Consomme – with julienne vegetables and aged port

Roasted Peach Soup – Finished with fresh strawberries

Entrees

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – topped with Portobello mushrooms and fire roasted red pepper pesto

Fisherman’s Plate – A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp with broccoli florets

Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib – cut thick served with baked potato

Asian Fried Tofu – with sautéed bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and red curry sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

Deserts

Desert Sampler – a trio of exquisite tastes

Low fat Berry Mousse

Sugar Free Red Berry Tart

Day 7

Starters

Exotic Fruits

Crab and Shrimp Salad

Melon Proscuitto

Beef and Veal Tortallacci

Jalapeño Potato Soup

Chicken consommé

Chilled Cranberry and Mango soup

Seasonal Greens

Caesar Salad

Entrees

Penne Tarantina – tossed in chunky tomato-garlic sauce, with mussels, shrimp and scallop

Parmesan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin with sage mustard Sauce

Slow Roasted Beef Shoulder Fillet – with marscapone roasted potatoes and Shiraz reduction

Asparagus and Brie Tart – grilled plum tomato, arugula, red pepper essence and chive oil

Chef Signature Entrée

Cornmeal Dusted Talapia with Japanese ratatouille and garlic wasabi aioli

Deserts

Choco-Chino Trilogy

BBB

Magic Mango Parfit

Low Fat Exotic Pineapple and Coconut Cake

Steamed Sugar Free Vanilla and Berry Custard

Alternative Selections always available

Ziti with Marinara Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Grilled Chicken Breast with seasonal herbs

Grilled Black Angus Top Sirloin with herb butter

Ice Cream, Sugar Free Ice Cream and sherbet selections

Cheese selection

Is this a new menu??? I was reading along, thinking it was the one I knew and loved (noticed I didn't stop reading;) ) but there are things I haven't seen- what ship/itinerary is it from?

Now I'm hungry too!

Cheers,

I just got back from the Mariner. Early seating and dinner took about 1 hour 15 minutes. You might want to think about this also. My boys (ages 12 and 14) had 2 nights that they were offered a dinner through the teen activities. My daughter(8) got the chance to eat with the Adventure Ocean club in Johnny Rockets. She really loved that. I kinda went with the flow. No Matter what you choose, ENJOY!!!

Archived