What is the best way to stay in touch while on a cruise.

jcw

Hello,

I'm asking this question realizing that email is the best option, however, I need another as my parents (who are watching one of our children) do not use email.

The last time I cruised, I did not have much of a need to check in. However, now that I have children, I will need to check in on a regular basis. Previously, I recall being able to use our cell phones on the ship when we were near St. Thomas, but I'm just wondering if I should get a calling card to use while in port, or if cell phones work sporadically on the ship. Our cruise only docks in St. Thomas, St. Marten, and Princess Cays.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question! :)

Not at all a dumb question, but you didn't give us enough information. It helps to know what ship you're on. Some ships have cell phone capability even when at sea. That means if you have a cell phone that's international capable, you can make cell phone calls while in the middle of the ocean. Your phone must be GSM or GPRS equipped to use the ship's satellite system. If you don't have a phone like that, your cell will probably work in St Thomas, but that's about it. But one word of warning----the connect fees and roaming charges for your cell phone use at sea is almost as costly as using the phone in your cabin. People are astonished by the huge per minute fees they have, once they get their cell phone bill.

As explained above- if your cell has "nationwide" service, you'll be able to call from St Thomas (and all other USA areas). Just make sure the ship has docked (which is normally when they turn off their own cell service- which costs a lot!).

Since your parents do not use email (although try to get them started- it will come in handy in the future!), do either of you have a sibling- or close friend- who would be willing to be the Internet liaison for routine communication? Almost all ships have Internet packages (which I think are still too expensive but may be worth it to give you peace of mind). Another option is to find Internet cafes in each port (which isn't too practical for cruising, since you may be busy with shore excursions).

Obviously in an emergency, your parents can call the ship (that number will be discussed in your final docs).

Some said their tracfones worked while at sea, they think they were charged 2 for 1 minutes, 1 roaming 1 regular minute.

Some didnt work, might depend on which tracfone you have.

Those are those prepaid phones you can buy at Target or Walmart.

We call from ports or use email. It was 3 minutes for $1 at places in Nassau when I was there last week.

In St. Maarten ask your waiter where he goes to make inexpensive calls and then buy a calling card there. Do not use your credit card and don't buy a phone card at home (it most likely won't work).

You probably won't be able to make a phone call from Princess Cays as it is a private island, unless your ship has a cell phone tower. At that point you will be charged whatever the cellular at sea rates are plus any extra charges your cell phone company adds.

The option above about checking in with another family member via email will be your least expensive option (if there is someone willing to act as a liason).

I've found that many of the internet cafes located near cruise ship terminals offer voip for extremely reasonable fees. Usually much cheaper than calling cards, roaming charges etc. Like a previous poster suggested, make sure they have the necessary information to contact the ship in an EMERGENCY, and call them occasionally from port.

Maler,

Hope you don't really have that message on your email and phone. Perfect way to get your house broken into. My husband works for our local PD and teaches prevention of scams...he always teaches not to stop your mail (rather have someone pick it up) or newspapers (have a neighbor discard) and never tell anyone who calls that you're away. Just a precaution but well worth the peace of mind.

Archived