Packing?

forensic

I pack in packing cubes purchased from www.Magellans.com. It makes it very easy to pack and unpack (all similar items stay together) and clothes have a tendency to wrinkle less. When I find clothes that pack well, I keep them in a separate area of my closet and use them only for travelling. Makes it easy to pack, as mostly everything is pre-selected for you. We also never travel with any bag larger than a 22 in carry-on, no matter how long the trip. Always use laundry and pressing services. Have had too many incidents of lost or delayed luggage in the past, including 4 days in Turkey tracking down all of our "misplaced" luggage.

I also use packing cubes and they make packing a breeze. Being an organized person, cubes help me unpack and pack easily and I lay the entire cube in the drawer without having to take out the clothes. It helps me limit what I pack as well. When the cube is full, no more allowed:).

Another bonus is that the cubes are mesh so are ventilated (unlike Ziplocs) and security can search your bag without touching personal items.

I too use plastic cleaner bags. I put one item in a bag, then an item on top of that, then repeat. I do this when an iron is not available. If you hang your clothes fairly soon after arriving this works.

I swear by the dry cleaner bags. Largest item first, the bag, then next item, bag, repeat. I usually do about 5 shirts. Then fold in the sleeves and place in suitcase. For dresses, I fold up the bottom and place lots of bags. I roll pants from the waistband down. Heaviest items on the bottom of the suitcase and at the bottom when it is upright.

My clothes were packed like this for 3 weeks (my luggage took another trip than I did :)) and when I packed - NO WRINKLES! Just hung the clothes back in the closet. (On a side note - it was great not having to do laundry when I got home!)

On my last cruise I tried white tissue paper and it help to an extent but I still had to steam some wrinkles out. Even though I am not cruising again until January 2008 I decided to see what dry cleaning bags would do. I placed a long dress in a dry cleaning bag, folded it in 4 (half over and then half over again) and place it in my suitcase. This was 3 weeks ago. When I took the dress out of my suitcase last night I was surprised to see that I had no wrinkles anywhere on my garment. So come January all dresses will be place in dry cleaning bags.

I think I'm the one who wrote that statement and all I can say is, I have no idea wht you are talking about. There is absolutely no way my packing folders and cubes come anywhere close to 10 lbs :eek:

I don't know what mistake you made, but I certainly do not have any problem with my original words. My packig folders each weigh less than a lb., more like 8 oz. I can pack 5 - 8 shirts in each one and it definitely helps keep things organized and the clothing less wrinkled when unpacking. I use 2 or 3 in each suitcase. I use packing cubes (mesh) for other items, plus some in zoology baggies.

You did something wrong with your order, perhaps you ordered way too many? Did you think you needed one for each shirt?

I "have" beat this to death and I am over being mad at myself, and I have already returned them.

I bought 2-20" (for shorts, sweatshirts or larger items) 2-18" DH's polos and shirts (he is a big guy and wears larger sizes) and 4-15 for my polo's, knit shirts, shorts, any of our other smaller items.

NOW I realize that these will be divided up between our suitcases and NOT all be in one suitcase, but it does not change the fact that that all 8 of them weight 10 pounds together. 10 pounds is much more than we are willing to add to our luggage to "help" us pack our cloths.

I am sure that many of you have these folders and many of you love them and that is great. I just found them to be totally wrong for us so I returned them. Way too much money and weight to "help me pack". We can pack just fine without them. I have in the past and will continue in the future. They cost almost $100.00, DH and I can have a lot of Martini's and a nice bottle of wine for that!:D

PS - Before I packed them up for return - I had the gentleman at the UPS store weigh them also, they weighted 10.8 in total.

Like some of the others, I achieve almost-wrinkle-free packing of our clothes using various techniques such as rolling them without spending money for accessories or adding more weight to our luggage. As you can tell, reducing weight is priority one for me.

I "have" beat this to death and I am over being mad at myself, and I have already returned them.

I bought 2-20" (for shorts, sweatshirts or larger items) 2-18" DH's polos and shirts (he is a big guy and wears larger sizes) and 4-15 for my polo's, knit shirts, shorts, any of our other smaller items.

NOW I realize that these will be divided up between our suitcases and NOT all be in one suitcase, but it does not change the fact that that all 8 of them weight 10 pounds together. 10 pounds is much more than we are willing to add to our luggage to "help" us pack our cloths.

I am sure that many of you have these folders and many of you love them and that is great. I just found them to be totally wrong for us so I returned them. Way too much money and weight to "help me pack". We can pack just fine without them. I have in the past and will continue in the future. They cost almost $100.00, DH and I can have a lot of Martini's and a nice bottle of wine for that!:D

PS - Before I packed them up for return - I had the gentleman at the UPS store weigh them also, they weighted 10.8 in total.

I think you are missing the point, you would not have added anywhere close to 10 lbs. to your luggage. You bought too many, way too many, you would need no more than 4 of the folders. You bought larger than you needed. If you read my post above yours, the packing folders would have added no more than 2 lbs., if that, to each suitcase.

I suppose it's just hard to imagine if you haven't packed this way. It's more organized, your clothes come out less wrinkled, it's easier to unpack, if your bag is searched it isn't messed up.

It's especially nice if you have a one night stay before a cruise. We pack everything in one of the folders, next days clothes, robes, pj's, clean underwear, etc... All you need to do is get out the one folder or cube and not disturb the rest of the contents.

Read the post by caviargal. While I understand it's not for everyone, it is a great method for those of us who like to be organized.

I just save the dry cleaner bags in get when clothes are returned. But at one point I did buy some for some riduculously low price, so you can ask. Just a thought: if you cruise on a ship with a self service laundry that also has irons, you need not need to worry so much about how you pack. It is a few minutes in a very pleasant setting to iron whatever you need to iron. That is why I try to avoid Royal Caribbean on Celebrity, although I have been on both when itineraries were conveient. None of their ships have guest laundry rooms. Another tip: if you do use the self service laundry room, I have found that lunch time there is hardly anyone there.

I use a method that I saw on Oprah many years ago. You lay out like items on top of each other (unfolded -- except in the case of pants which should be folded once, vertically). Stick the most wrinkle prone items towards the bottom of the pile, and the least wrinkle prone towards the top. Once everything is stacked fold the entire pile together and place in the suitcase. I've found that it keeps the clothes orderly and neat, and helps prevents wrinkles and especially creases from folding.

I had never heard of the dry cleaning bag before this though, and I may try that for my formal dresses!

Our dry cleaner gives us as many bags as we request...Of course, when things come back from the cleaner, we just leave them in the bag and, sometimes, ask the dry cleaner to only put one or two garments in one bag. Not only does this prevent wrinkling, but we then take things out of our luggage and hang directly in the closet - unpacking is a breeze. So glad that friends taught us this last year!

I also agree with the Dry Cleaning Bag method. I've never had to iron anything when we have gone on cruises. This includes DH's cotton shirts, suit etc.

When I send DH work shirts to the cleaners I ask them to place each one in a seperate bag.

I also buy the large Zip Loc bags from Wal Mart and use them for smaller items such as underwear, socks,Tshirts etc. These also worked well.

I save the bags to use on my next cruise when I return. :)

Just curious :confused: . Am I the only person who just packs their clothes in a suitcase? No cubes, no ziplocs, no "air squishers", no "whatever's popular for packing today" :D ? I just don't need all of these things to pack. (Or do I? :rolleyes: )

I was wondering the same thing:o

In my experience, we will run into the weight limit LONG before we run out of space in the 42" bag so things that reduce bulk are worthless to me. It is extremely difficult for anyone to completely pack a 42" piece of luggage without exceeding most airlines' luggage 50 lb weight limit. So my personal #1 packing tip is to pack fewer and lighter items, and not waste time or money on packing accessories that only add weight (I can't afford even a few extra ounces!).

I agree!!! I am always fighting the weight limit. I do use ziplock bags though - they are practically weightless.

In my experience, we will run into the weight limit LONG before we run out of space in the 42" bag so things that reduce bulk are worthless to me. It is extremely difficult for anyone to completely pack a 42" piece of luggage without exceeding most airlines' luggage 50 lb weight limit. So my personal #1 packing tip is to pack fewer and lighter items, and not waste time or money on packing accessories that only add weight (I can't afford even a few extra ounces!).

I agree!!! I am always fighting the weight limit. I do use ziplock bags though - they are practically weightless.

I think you are missing the point, you would not have added anywhere close to 10 lbs. to your luggage. You bought too many, way too many, you would need no more than 4 of the folders. You bought larger than you needed. If you read my post above yours, the packing folders would have added no more than 2 lbs., if that, to each suitcase.

I suppose it's just hard to imagine if you haven't packed this way. It's more organized, your clothes come out less wrinkled, it's easier to unpack, if your bag is searched it isn't messed up.

It's especially nice if you have a one night stay before a cruise. We pack everything in one of the folders, next days clothes, robes, pj's, clean underwear, etc... All you need to do is get out the one folder or cube and not disturb the rest of the contents.

Read the post by caviargal. While I understand it's not for everyone, it is a great method for those of us who like to be organized.

You are missing my point - I have tried being very nice about this and admitting it was my mistake in just believing what I read and not investigating it enough - or thinking it through enough.

I can't imagine why I ever thought I needed anything to help me pack. I have been packing for DH and myself and DD (before she married) for many, many years. I "know" how to pack, I know how to pack clothes so that they do not wrinkle. I know how to keep things organize, I know how to roll underwear, socks, bathing suits, etc., etc. All you have to do to have one nights clothes separate is lay a sheet of tissue or a cleaners bag down and then put down what you need for 1,2,3 nights of staying somewhere else. Or pack it in your carry on.

THEY WEIGHTED TOO MUCH !

I DON'T NEED THEM ANYWAY!

THEY WERE A WASTE OF MONEY!

I RETURNED THEM!

QUIT TRYING TO CONVICE ME THEY ARE WONDERFUL - YOU WON'T!!!!

IF YOU LIKE THEM AND YOU WANT TO USE THEM - FINE! GOOD! KEEP USING THEM! I DON'T LIKE THEM! I AM NEVER GOING TO LIKE THEM!

forensic, it is you who are missing the point. While it is understandable that you were not please with what you ordered and prefer your own way of packing, you chose to come to this forum and disparage those that recommended the cubes based on our own positive experiences. You claimed you were given bad advice and that you were misled.

The reality is that you tried something that many of us use regularly with great results and it did not work for you. That is fine but your negative comments towards those of us that use them and recommend them were unnecessary and mean spirited.

I have found suggestions on this board that have been very helpful and some that I find are of no use to me. I do not come on here and slam those that are trying to be helpful by sharing their positive experiences as you have chosen to do.

Archived