Best port to go whale watching from

JosieRhodes

Next summer (July 31, 9 days) will be on a New England/Canada cruise that stops in Halifax, St John - Bay of Fundy, Portland and Bar Harbor. I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which port would offer best whale watching... I was thinking of not doing it in Bar Harbor as would like to see Arcadia National Park... but not sure if would be missing best whale watching opportunity...

Any input appreciated:)

• 5 months later...

That's a difficult question to answer ... we always see whales when we take the "cat" from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia ...

I would think it would be a great treat to go whale watching in Bar Harbor BUT (in capital letters) if one has never experienced Acadia I think that it would be very sad ... It is beautiful, natural, wild, amazing and probably the most perfect area in the world .... (Statistically speaking Mainer's are known to be extremely proud of their state ... ). Jan

The whale watching was excellent off of Bar Harbor and near Boston for us...we did not go whale watching specifically off portland, but I did see a few whales on our way in and out of port.

Halifax was excellent for dolphins and pilot whales. You have a reasonable chance to spot fin whales on your sea days just about anywhere...we saw loads on our final sea day (along the coast of maine, on our way pack to boston from halifax).

Archived