Back to back - do we have to disembark?

mbleackl

We originally booked an outside cabin on a transatlantic with a Greek islands combined as a single cruise. We found out later that if we split it into a balcony for 20 days and an outside for 12 days it costs about the same. Our TA has said we would have to disembark in Rome with all our luggage and reembark after clearing customs. Does anyone know if this is true? We would like to tour Rome and wouldn't want this to interfere.

I don't believe you have to.

While doing the Corals' transcanal westbound, we ended the voyage in SFO and continued on on the coastal to YVR. I believe Princess and customs will treat this as a port of call for you, but I imagine that Italian customs authorities will be onboard early to clear the ship for pax ashore.

The procedure in SFO was that you as a B2B pax could go ashore after most of the disembarking SFO bound pax were ashore. As they are two distinct and separate voyages, I believe that the Customer Services (Desk) will have your new cruise cards in your cabin through your cabin attendant the night prior to your arrival in Rome (Civitavecchia).

If you go ashore, you punch the security machine with your old card. This means that you have officially terminated that portion of your "total" holiday onboard. After a day in la bella Roma, you reboard the vessel using the new card that was placed in your stateroom. As the old card is no longer valid you can keep as a souvenir and proof of travel for Captain's Circle previous cruises.

Suggestion...tuck your new cards away in a safe place while ashore so that they are easy to find when reboarding...and NO, you will not have to stand in the newbie pax lineup as you by this time are an experienced cruiser. The first time you use your new card (on boarding the vessel) your photo (mug shots is the word) will be imprinted on your new card.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

i did a b2b last year out of rome. i did not have to disembark. this was on carnival, however. all i was required to do was to get a new secruity picture taken. since you're changing cabins you will have to pack. the stewards will handle moving your luggage to the new cabin.

It is my understanding that you will get a new cruise card the last night of the first cruise. The next day, you will only have to disembark if Italian customs requires it.

The cabin steward will help you pack & move cabins.

It really depends upon what you have to do clear customs/immigration in the turnover port. More than likely there will be a group of you doing this B2B, and hopefully the process will be seamless. It was in Whittier for us, in Vancouver we gave up hopes of a tour with the process.

Since you are changing cabins, you will have to clear your cabin and relocate to your new one. That will take a bit of effort on your part, even with the assistance of the cabin steward.

Hopefully once you are onboard, you will be able to get good information on what will happen on the Rome port day so you can determine what is possible.

More than likely you will get your card key the night before, and just get your picture taken when you reboard.

Sorry that I cannot be more definite, but I really believe it depends greatly upon the requirements of the country you will be hitting on turn around day.

We originally booked an outside cabin on a transatlantic with a Greek islands combined as a single cruise. We found out later that if we split it into a balcony for 20 days and an outside for 12 days it costs about the same. Our TA has said we would have to disembark in Rome with all our luggage and reembark after clearing customs. Does anyone know if this is true? We would like to tour Rome and wouldn't want this to interfere.

We have done several b-t-b and we never had to disembark and reboard. Our last b-t-b was in May and we were asked to use a different exit from the disembarking passengers if we wanted to leave the ship and go into town. The ship sent information and new cruise cards cards on the last day of the first cruise. We went into town and spent a nice day and then reboarded without any problems. Sounds like your TA is inexperienced.

Evelyn & Bob

We have done several b-t-b and we never had to disembark and reboard. Our last b-t-b was in May and we were asked to use a different exit from the disembarking passengers if we wanted to leave the ship and go into town. The ship sent information and new cruise cards cards on the last day of the first cruise. We went into town and spent a nice day and then reboarded without any problems. Sounds like your TA is inexperienced.

Evelyn & Bob

Always the first time. I have also done several B2B's and have had to disembark & re-board every time but our luggage never had to.

This entirely depends on the immigration and customs requirements in the turnaround port city, not the cruise line. That's why some people have always had to disembark and others haven't. But Princess is very good about letting you know what to expect in a letter delivered to your cabin on the last day of the first cruise. If you do have to disembark and re-embark, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of your time, mostly spent waiting around to be taken off the ship as a group to go through immigration.

Archived