Xpedition/Galapagos Solo?

FinelyRetired

• 2 weeks later...
Wow.....

Soooooo....it doesn't look like anyone in this savvy, experienced, hip cruise-addicted SOLO crowd has EVER gone to the Galapagos?

Am I the ONLY solo who's gone off to do this? I hardly think so?

Maybe.......I'm a nut? :)

Martha

We went to the Galapagos last Fall on an OAT Tour.

There were three Solos on our trip.

Two women and one man.

No problems at all.

A lady that we know went solo four years ago.

It is a great trip -- GO:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a Lindblad Polaris trip this past spring to the Galapagos. Added on was Peru and Machu Picchu. Actually, I have become addicted to solo sailing on small expedition ships. In the past four years I have sailed Fiji to Vanuatu to New Caledonia in the South Pacific plus Brunei to Bali with visits to Komodo Island and Sulawesi (terrific snorkeling) and just recently Vietnam. The Mediterranean with stops at Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain, Malta and Sicily. Antarctica and Iceland last year and before that Alaska to Siberia. A cruise around the Marquesa Islands on the freighter Aranui two years ago. My husband passed away so that is why I have been venturing off on my own. At first I was very nervous but really all I have to do on my own is to get on the plane. Once I have reached where I am going everything is taken care of for me. I don't mean to be bragging but I really do have a blast with the people on the small ships. Everyone is there for the adventure and the informality.

I couldn't afford the single fare. I take that back, I couldn't even afford the double occupancy fare. :eek:

I'd love to visit the Galapagos, but it's not within my budget at this time. Go for it, if you have the resources.

Roz

Go for it. When I was planning my 55th birthday cruise [coming up next month], my first choice was Antarctica, my second was Galapagos. I am sailing solo to Antarctica, and I plan to do the same in a couple of years to Galapagos. Seems like a perfect solo destination to me!! Have fun planning!!

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't afford the single fare. I take that back, I couldn't even afford the double occupancy fare. :eek:

I'd love to visit the Galapagos, but it's not within my budget at this time. Go for it, if you have the resources.

Roz

I'll echo this sentiment. I am so jealous that you can afford to go alone! The Galapagos is my dream trip, but - like Roz - (unless I win the lottery ;)) I just can't afford it. I won't be doing this one anytime soon, even with someone else - as much as I would absolutely LOVE to!

Have a fabulous cruise!

Roz & librarycin:

I agree, the cost is a huge "ouch!" There really aren't that many places I long to go, however, where DH wont travel the distance. And, I'm not a huge fan of cruising. After we cruised Alaska and Panama Canal, he and I both felt that cruising solo for the further places I long to see was a safe option he can support. Like Louise22 said.....getting the plane is about all you need to do!

After, Galapagos in '09....I'll be done.

Louise 22: You are amazing and an inspiration to us all! I'm so glad you've found the smaller ships so welcoming for a solo. I'd wondered about that.

SoloCruiser17: How did your 1st solo cruise go?

Tarheelbelle: Have a wonderful cruise this month and report back to us on your experience!

Martha

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone!

I know this is an old thread but I am thinking of going to the Galapagos on Celebrity in January 2016. Just starting to look at all of the options.

I plan to go solo.

Has anyone else done this cruise more recently?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Happy and safe cruising all!! :)

This is something I plan to do in about 18 months. Something I've always wanted to do. Can't think of any reason NOT to.

Anybody here done this cruise?

I just returned from Galapagos on Xpedition. I recommend that you read some of the comments about Lindblad vs. Xpedition. I have sailed solo on both lines and Lindblad provides many more activities. There was too much down time between activities on Xpedition. The first would start at 8 am and the next not until 3 or 4 and nothing to do in-between. Lindblad has naturalists who are visible on the ship- lectures, dine with guests, etc. Lindblad is more expensive but you can get a 10% discount if you know someone who has sailed with them twice. You come to Galapagos to see the islands and not sit on the ship.

Hi everyone!

I know this is an old thread but I am thinking of going to the Galapagos on Celebrity in January 2016. Just starting to look at all of the options.

I plan to go solo.

Has anyone else done this cruise more recently?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Happy and safe cruising all!! :)

I can only comment about lindblad. We did that tour about 7 years ago. It was a great trip. Wish we would have had time to do Machu Picchu extension.

I know it's a small thing, but it was nice to cruise on a ship with no door keys. When u weren't in room it wasn't locked!