Hotel Recommendation NYC

Griswolds

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel in the NYC area? We are sailing Carnival Miracle in June 2008 and are planning to arrive a few days early to do the tourist thing. My husband and I are traveling with 2 children (11 & 13) and also my father so we would need a room with at least two beds or possible two rooms depending on price. Does not have to be in the city because we will have our own vehicle and could make a short commute into the city, in fact I got a few suggestions to stay in New Jersey to keep costs down but still be fairly close to the city and port. Any suggestions/tips/info would be greatly appreciated !!:D

I'm sorry that I don't have a specific hotel recommendation for you, but I live in NJ and have done the drive into NYC MANY times. I just wanted to let you know that the drive into Manhattan can be an absolute nightmare (and not just during rush hour). Also, you will have the added costs of tolls (I believe $6 to get over/under the river) and parking, which can easily go above $30 a day. I only mention these things because if you can find a decent price in manhattan, it may work out to be the same price as staying in NJ and for a lot less hassle! Either way, enjoy it! NYC has so much fun stuff to offer!

What is your price range? It is tough to find anything for less than $250 a night that is decent in NYC.

Try the Pod Hotel or the Cosmopolitan Hotel.

You can also review this thread, there were lots of suggestions for NYC as well as NJ and Queens and Brooklyn. The only problem with having your own vehicle is that you will have to park it in a garage the nights you are in the city before your cruise and parking is expensive at the parking garages.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579200

Having your car in Manhattan is an expensive headache, so my first advice is to avoid that if at all possible. To do the "tourist" thing in Manhattan is a lot of fun, best done on foot, by subway, or by the hop-on-hop-off bus. You don't say where your will be coming from, but when we drive (coming up from the south, through NJ) we have had good luck parking in the public garage (well lit, reasonably secure) at Metropark (off Garden State pkwy close to NJ Turnpike) and taking NJ Transit train to Penn Station, then taxi to hotel. Very little fuss & bother. The Edison Hotel (47th St just off Times Square) is a great location, very nice tourist class hotel, and one of their two bedroom rooms might fit your needs. Moderate/inexpensive in NYC is expensive almoste anywhere else. You might also try applecore hotels, a group of brand names such as Red Roof Inn, La Quinta, etc., all good Manhattan locations.

Edison Hotel: http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/index.asp

Applecore hotels: http://www.applecorehotels.com/apple-core-hotels/

Parking garages NYC: http://nyc.bestparking.com/

NJ Transit: http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Good luck. Enjoy your vacation.

David

Talk to your local travel agent also, all the hotels in the city are easily going to run you $100+. Weekends are higher.

The closest to the pier is Times Square, lots of hotels, restaurants, etc.

You could go online & try any of the travel sites: Yahoo.com (click on Travel), hotels.com, Travelocity, etc.

Keep in mind - one site might say they are booked, another site says they have availability. Go with the availability site. Also, they may differ by a few $$. Try the hotel's site also, you may even find a further discount & always click on the AAA (if you are a member) for even deeper savings.

NY is not cheap. You could stay at the "cheap" hotels that you will find, but you'lll get what you pay for.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel in the NYC area? We are sailing Carnival Miracle in June 2008 and are planning to arrive a few days early to do the tourist thing. My husband and I are traveling with 2 children (11 & 13) and also my father so we would need a room with at least two beds or possible two rooms depending on price. Does not have to be in the city because we will have our own vehicle and could make a short commute into the city, in fact I got a few suggestions to stay in New Jersey to keep costs down but still be fairly close to the city and port. Any suggestions/tips/info would be greatly appreciated !!:D

It is getting to be that hotels in New Jersey with easy access to Manhattan are just as expensive as Manhattan hotels and driving to Manhattan if you aren't familiar can be frustrating and parking very expensive. Don't do it because any money you may save will be eaten up by parking and commute time.

That said, look at:

The Apple Core Group http://www.applecorehotels.com/

The Empire Hotel Group http://www.newyorkhotel.com/

Both are good places to start.

Also The Milford Plaza http://www.milfordplaza.com/

Keep in mind you may be in town for Fleet Week so check the dates.

Talk to your local travel agent also, all the hotels in the city are easily going to run you $100+. Weekends are higher.

The closest to the pier is Times Square, lots of hotels, restaurants, etc.

You could go online & try any of the travel sites: Yahoo.com (click on Travel), hotels.com, Travelocity, etc.

Keep in mind - one site might say they are booked, another site says they have availability. Go with the availability site. Also, they may differ by a few $$. Try the hotel's site also, you may even find a further discount & always click on the AAA (if you are a member) for even deeper savings.

NY is not cheap. You could stay at the "cheap" hotels that you will find, but you'lll get what you pay for.

Where are $100+ hotels??? I'm sure you meant $200+?? even that is low.

With 5 people, perhaps look at apartment rentals, you aren't going to get 5 in most hotel rooms which have a limit of 4 people. Also will likely not allow roll aways- fire laws.

More specific information would be helpful, what is your price range and where are you coming from???

I frequently stay at the Super 8 great location that is convenient to everywhere. :)

Thanks so much for all the info, tips and advice! Keep it coming, please!!There is just so much to take into consideration when planning a big trip. Here are some more details of our trip. This is the 4th cruise for me and husband but first for the kids and dad. First time to NYC for all of us. We are coming from area of Detroit, MI via Pennslyvania. We plan to leave MI on a Sunday and drive straight through arriving in NYC Sunday afternoon. We're thinking of taking a guided tour to hit major tourist points of interest on Monday. The cruise leaves Tuesday so we would head out of the hotel early and plan to be at the port around 10-10:30am. We will park the car at the port and choke down the $180 parking cost for the 8 days. My husband is actually from Chicago and is OK with city driving. Im sure NYC is more extreme and we were expecting some major traffic but I wasnt thinking it could be THAT much worse. GULP! (a little worried now!) The reason we thought staying in a New Jersey suburb would be better is the hotel might be less expensive and parking would be free (hopefully) for our stay at the hotel and then we could take taxi or shuttle into the city. But sounds like this may not be the best option? Oh, and we dont really have a specific price range for hotel but we would need a room that could accomodate all 5 of us or we need two rooms. Obviously we dont want to pay a fortune for a place to sleep but price isnt the only factor we're taking into consideration for the hotel. Will just have to convince husband (who uses Priceline for our hotels) that its OK to spend a little more on a once-in-a-lifetime family vacation. HEHE

Thanks so much for all the info, tips and advice! Keep it coming, please!!There is just so much to take into consideration when planning a big trip. Here are some more details of our trip. This is the 4th cruise for me and husband but first for the kids and dad. First time to NYC for all of us. We are coming from area of Detroit, MI via Pennslyvania. We plan to leave MI on a Sunday and drive straight through arriving in NYC Sunday afternoon. We're thinking of taking a guided tour to hit major tourist points of interest on Monday. The cruise leaves Tuesday so we would head out of the hotel early and plan to be at the port around 10-10:30am. We will park the car at the port and choke down the $180 parking cost for the 8 days. My husband is actually from Chicago and is OK with city driving. Im sure NYC is more extreme and we were expecting some major traffic but I wasnt thinking it could be THAT much worse. GULP! (a little worried now!) The reason we thought staying in a New Jersey suburb would be better is the hotel might be less expensive and parking would be free (hopefully) for our stay at the hotel and then we could take taxi or shuttle into the city. But sounds like this may not be the best option? Oh, and we dont really have a specific price range for hotel but we would need a room that could accomodate all 5 of us or we need two rooms. Obviously we dont want to pay a fortune for a place to sleep but price isnt the only factor we're taking into consideration for the hotel. Will just have to convince husband (who uses Priceline for our hotels) that its OK to spend a little more on a once-in-a-lifetime family vacation. HEHE

Okay, driving in Manhattan isn't as bad as you would think. However, if you stay in New Jersey and drive in, expect to pay $25+ parking per day.

A cab will cost a fortune getting to and from New Jersey.

Forget priceline unless you want to try for two hotel rooms which actually isn't a bad idea.

Did you look at Hotwire?

The Grayline hop on hop off All Loop tour is a blast. It is good for 48 hours and is $49 per person.

This is what I did. I knew that our flight into NYC City would arrive at LGA. Why hassle with getting to the port area on the first night. I book a hotel on Hotwire.com and got a three star hotel with a free shuttle service located less than a mile from the airport. The price was $104. Sure I didn't know the hotel chain until I accepted the purchase price but I have had good luck using Hotwire. Willing to take a chance. Tim

Totally forgot about The Travel Inn in Manhattan. Parking there is free and it is a reasonably priced hotel.

http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/

Thanks so much for this recommendation! The hotel looks like a good possibility. Free parking and convenient location! Although the "reasonably priced" hotels still give me sticker shock! LOL But at least it appears they have regular sized rooms with two beds so that is perfect. They may even let us leave the car there while on the cruise? Its worth asking I suppose.

I can recommend, from experience, that you check out apartments2book.com and click on their New York properties. Last October we spent 4 nights in their #9 property which is Murray Hill East Suites. It's an actual apartment building that is rented by the night like a hotel. The decor is not the latest and greatest but it was extremely clean, beds very comfy and in a great neighborhood convenient to everything. You can check out the reviews of the hotel and apartments2book on tripadvisor and see both get good reviews. The rates we paid last year was only around $250.00 per night plus the 13% hotel taxes....a lot cheaper than any hotel. We had a one bedroom with a sofa bed in the living room but they offer 2 bedrooms as well. All have kitchens so that's a plus. If you search tripadvisor you'll find a post that lists each numbered property's location...I think it's a post by nywhiz. My 16 yo loved staying here because it was more of a true NY experience than a hotel would have been!

Archived