AOS 9/30/2007- Disappointment

icon1.gifJust off AOS 9/30/2007 Cruise

Fellow Cruisers - Wish I could be writing with nothing but positive remarks about our cruise but, alas, I cannot. For starters, the number of rude Puerto Ricans (no I'm not prejudiced) on this ship was intolerable. Mainly the younger crowd, but not always. Blocked hallways and elevators, cut lines, loud and obnoxious. The list goes on. Very obvious entitlement attitudes displayed throughout the ship. Our party of 6 each independently experienced this rudeness every day. One of our party had a drink spilled on him by a very rude person, only to get a f*** you instead of an apology!

The food in the dining room, other than lobster and the steak night, and the soups, was WAY below par. The Windjammer thankfully served consistently decent food. The wait staff was just okay, nothing like we've been used to in the past, even on the AOS. Nothing worth even tipping. Glad I didn't sign up for prepaid gratuities.

Cabin attendant for us was okay, but one of our couples with us, had to lodge several complaints to have their room made up. One day, after an island day, they went back to the room, a D1, and it STILL wasn't made up.

Embarkation was a breeze, disembarkation was awful. Even as a Platinum member.

Prices went up for drinks since last year. $24 for 6 Miller Lites!!!!!

Rarely saw the Cruise Director. Couldn't even tell you where he was most of the time.

We're still RCI fans, but not sure we'll ever do the AOS out of SJU again. As compared to the same cruise on the same ship a year ago, this one was a 3 out of 10, instead of an 8 out of 10 last year. Sadly disappointed with the clientele and overall experience. I'll post a full review in the Ship's Forums with more details when I get around to it.

RocktheBoat2006

Fellow Cruisers - Wish I could be writing with nothing but positive remarks about our cruise but, alas, I cannot. For starters, the number of rude Puerto Ricans (no I'm not prejudiced) on this ship was intolerable. Mainly the younger crowd, but not always. Blocked hallways and elevators, cut lines, loud and obnoxious. The list goes on. Very obvious entitlement attitudes displayed throughout the ship. Our party of 6 each independently experienced this rudeness every day. One of our party had a drink spilled on him by a very rude person, only to get a f*** you instead of an apology!

The food in the dining room, other than lobster and the steak night, and the soups, was WAY below par. The Windjammer thankfully served consistently decent food. The wait staff was just okay, nothing like we've been used to in the past, even on the AOS. Nothing worth even tipping. Glad I didn't sign up for prepaid gratuities.

Cabin attendant for us was okay, but one of our couples with us, had to lodge several complaints to have their room made up. One day, after an island day, they went back to the room, a D1, and it STILL wasn't made up.

Rarely saw the Cruise Director. Couldn't even tell you where he was most of the time.

We're still RCI fans, but not sure we'll ever do the AOS out of SJU again. As compared to the same cruise on the same ship a year ago, this one was a 3 out of 10, instead of an 8 out of 10 last year. Sadly disappointed with the clientele and overall experience. I'll post a full review in the Ship's Forums with more details when I get around to it.

RocktheBoat2006

So sorry you had a bad experience, we have been on the AOS twice this year, and found nothing to complain about, apart from the filming of America's Top Model, which did cause a bit of inconvienience for us.

Guess you really need to remove the last line from your signature

Thank you for sharing. We were on AOS in August 2003 and have no complaints at all, but we are concerned about our upcoming AOS cruise in August 2008. I'd be very disappointed if the service has declined, and if the passengers don't show each other respect. I'm hoping that since we are sailing during the summer, the ship will be sailing nearly sold-out so those deep last minute discounts won't be necessary.

We experienced the same issue as you did with local teens - many quincineras - sailing out of San Juan in May 1990 on another line, and I understand how this can negatively affect your cruise.

RocktheBoat2006

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I have been on the AOS 3 times, with the 4th and 5th booked for February.

Yes, there can be a high number of local Puerto Ricans onboard, but for us it has never been an issue.

The AOS is my favorite RCI ship :)

I am so sorry about your experience. I am leaving in a few weeks on the same cruise and hope to have better results. I know my husband will not be quiet if their are rude people on the ship. Any advice on how best to deal with the rude locals?

Good point! I noticed you have cruised with Shane 5 times. He was on AOS and I must say the HIGHLIGHT in entertainment for the trip in the Duck & Dog. We were there 5 nights out of 7!! I told him how much good press he gets here and was happy to hear about it.

...editing signature now....

Rockin'

I am so sorry about your experience. I am leaving in a few weeks on the same cruise and hope to have better results. I know my husband will not be quiet if their are rude people on the ship. Any advice on how best to deal with the rude locals?

That's hard to say. Pretty much will have to respond on a case by case basis. Maybe go right to the Concierge and put them on alert. Hopefully you don't have the same issues we experienced. I love the AOS, but I gotta tell ya, even without the rude people, the service was definitely down for us. I know alot of the time it's based on the luck of the draw on who you get for your cabin attendant, waiter, etc., so maybe it was just our turn. But for the rude passengers, RCI needs to pay attention to the negative press they're getting. We met probably 12 other couples on the cruise that had the exact same sentiments about the high number of disrepectful, rude and obnoxious passengers.

Rockin'

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. $4 a beer does not seem high at all, that is what we pay here at most bars. As far as your comment about the "Puerto Ricans", I find that as offensive as the comment made yesterday about the nice cruisers because they were all from one particular state supposedly. We can't pick who we cruise with, we just need to cruise with an open mind. I hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

I am not trying to make excuses for anyone, but there are a lot of differences between nationalities in regards to rudeness. The spilling of the drink and cusing is one thing, but the cutting in line is very common in other parts of the world. I am in the military, and I just served a year in Korea, and those folks do not know how to que. Does that make them rude? that is just they way they do things. Just like handing someone an object with one hand is considered very rude to them, but we as Americans do it all the time (like paying for an item with money, you should use two hands). Thsi can be excusable, but the food not being good, that is sort of a downer. Sorry your trip was not as good as last time.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. $4 a beer does not seem high at all, that is what we pay here at most bars. As far as your comment about the "Puerto Ricans", I find that as offensive as the comment made yesterday about the nice cruisers because they were all from one particular state supposedly. We can't pick who we cruise with, we just need to cruise with an open mind. I hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

Apologies. No offense meant. Simply the fact of what occurred.

Rockin'

It sounds like it may have been a QUINCEAÑERA'S cruise. Those are cruises for girls (and their families) celebrating their 15th birthday. The cruiselines advertise certain dates and they load up with the Puerto Ricans. I have heard lots of bad things about being on ships during those events.

It sounds like it may have been a QUINCEAÑERA'S cruise. Those are cruises for girls (and their families) celebrating their 15th birthday. The cruiselines advertise certain dates and they load up with the Puerto Ricans. I have heard lots of bad things about being on ships during those events.

You know what, I think you're right, now that I think about all the young girls in pretty dresses. Someone mentioned something about that. Makes sense now.

Gee, we are cruising out of San Juan in March but on the Serenade. I sure hope there are no rude people on our cruise. When we cruised last on the Radiance to Hawaii I was almost plowed down by a little old lady with a can who was trying to get to the midnight buffet. If the two guys in front of me hand't caught me, I would have ended up a$$ over buttercups on the stairs. She was downright rude and obnoxious.

Ann

When we cruised last on the Radiance to Hawaii I was almost plowed down by a little old lady with a can who was trying to get to the midnight buffet. If the two guys in front of me hand't caught me, I would have ended up a$$ over buttercups on the stairs. She was downright rude and obnoxious.

Sounds like my last HAL cruise... :D

These are all good comments, but how to you find out when the "QUINCEAÑERA'S cruise" is? I don't think any cruise would be the most enjoyable when most of the people on the ship are for a certain party or event. I want to book an AOS sailing, but would like to find out ahead of time so I don't book the week of the partying.

Its too bad you didnt have as great of a cruise as you could have. Spending all the $ for a vacation and having a set of expectations not met is really a bummer.

Rarely saw the Cruise Director. Couldn't even tell you where he was most of the time

I think out of everything you mentioned this surprises me the most. Every ship in every line we've been on the CD has been very visible and very accesible.

Hopefully your sub standard experience aboard AOS is not reflective of that ships norm

We were on the AOS the week before you, on some points I agree with you, there were a lot of rude people on board most of them didn't speak english or pretended not to understand when it was convenient. I just ignored them and refused to let it ruin my vacation. The service could have been better in some areas but over all I thought it was good and I never wanted for anything. I thought the food was okay. As for the cruise director I thought he was very good he seemed to be every where on our cruise. He even turned up at the Duck and Dog one night and did a song hung out and drank a beer.

I guess the big difference between us is this was our first RCI cruise and we loved the ship. We must have, we rebooked the same cruise for next year on the other route. I guess for me a bad week cruising beats a good week working anytime and yes I'm back to work until March and than its off on the Jewel.

So how do you find out if a particualr cruise is going to be a QUINCEAÑERA'S targeted cruise??

We are booked on AOS in May and would love to know the same thing. How can you find out when these cruises are scheduled?

A bit off googling turned up the following...

AOS:

Start: 1/6/2008

Start: 5/25/2008

Start: 6/29/2008

Start: 7/13/2008

Start: 7/27/2008

Others:

Royal Caribbean Freedom

Royal Caribbean Freedom

6-15-08

Royal Caribbean Freedom

6-22-08

Royal Caribbean Freedom

6-29-08

Carnival Liberty

7-5-08

Royal Caribbean Liberty

7-12-08

Carnival Liberty

7-12-08

Carnival Liberty

7-19-08

Royal Caribbean Liberty

7-19-08

Royal Caribbean Liberty

7-19-08

Royal Caribbean Liberty

7-26-08

6-8-08

This has been used as an excuse before.

I don't care what group is on a particular sailing..this kind of behavior should not be tolerated. I would hate to think that the crew of the AOS would pander to this group of people simply because they booked alot of cabins. Why should other passengers have to put up with this kind of nonsense?

If current security can't handle this stuff they either need to hire more security..or announce when these groups are sailing so that others don't have to sail with them. That is probably why RCI won't divulge when certain groups are sailing because the word is out and the ship would be empty save those cruising with that particular group.

RocktheBoat2006

I must tell you I am so amazed that no one did anything about these people. I don't care if they had 3/4 of the ship booked that does not give anyone the right to bully someone else. I have read things like this happening on Carnival but this is the first RCI incident I have read like this. I would be writing a nasty letter to RCI. These people should have been invited to leave the ship at the first port of call. No refunds to them.

I must tell you I am so amazed that no one did anything about these people. I don't care if they had 3/4 of the ship booked that does not give anyone the right to bully someone else. I have read things like this happening on Carnival but this is the first RCI incident I have read like this. I would be writing a nasty letter to RCI. These people should have been invited to leave the ship at the first port of call. No refunds to them.

I was on the 09-16-07 sailing of the AOS and encountered rude behavior by many fellow guests, but, no bullying. Like many posters here I chose to ignore the behavior and pushing in order to have a fantastic sailing. A positive aspect of this cruise was that we were almost always surrounded by people who were laughing and having a fantastic time with family and friends. As one who doesn't have children at home, the sound of children & laughter in the hallways was, in a strange way, a treat.

We had and Entertainment Director onboard whose name was Pierce, who may have been filling in as Cruise Director for the week. He did a very nice job.

I found out that our cruise on AOS on Jan 6/08 is a quinceaneras cruise by google-ing the ship name and date of cruise. I found an ad by a travel agent in Puerto Rico:

http://www.condadotravel.com/ct_detail_c.asp?offer_id=563

There are also quinceaneras on AOS on May 25, June 29, July 13, and July 27.

I have read a few reviews of cruises with quinceaneras and they range from 'hardly noticed them' to 'awful'.

Due to schedule and airline restictions, we kept our booking for Jan 6/08 on AOS but upgraded to a suite in case we needed to spend some time away from the crowd.

Pam

Archived