Motion Sickness Remedies for Kids?

fivesenuff5

Does anyone have any ideas for motion sickness remedies for kids? I am not aware of anything made specifically for kids. I was going to bring ginger snaps for my dd (8yo) but if there is something else I can get that would be great.

Any suggestions?

When my kids took their first cruise, they were 5 & 7. My daughter was very prone to motion sickness. Our pediatrician gave the OK to give her 1/2 of a dramamine or bonine tablet per day (24 hours). She did well with it.

Our choice for the kids now is ginger tablets, you can get them at Walmart, but they are pretty big. You can actually break the pills open and put the pure ginger in their drink. They work VERY well, with no side effects.

My daughter gets SO motion sick, I can't even tell you. But, for some reason, on the cruises, she was fine. Those little bodies are pretty resiliant, just look at all the kids who love roller coasters and spin around rides, ugh, I can't even look at them without getting nauseous.

Go to your childs Pedi ans tell them your children suffer from motion sickness they will prescribe a med that works wounders, Mine take Promethazine it dries their mouth out a little but zero side effects, does not cause them to be sleepy...

I have used it on times when I'mm off shore in very bad conditions and it works.....

John

Herbsforkids makes a liquid minty ginger for kids. My mother keeps it for when they take the grandkids on a cruise. We used it last year and none of them were bothered at all. One of the girls gets car sick, so we were really worried about her. The taste wasn't bad and the kids didn't seem to mind it all. At that time the age range was from 3 to 11 in age. For the younger ones it comes with an dropper to make it easier.

I had my local GMC order it for me.

They sell Bonine for kids. It (supposedly) does not cause drowsiness. We have used Bonine twice when we went on Catamarans on rough seas. No problems, and it worked wonders.

My kids have taken 1/2 tablet of Bonine at bedtime. It lasts for 24 hours and if it makes them a little drowsy they're already in bed!

I've never noticed a "Bonine for kids" at the pharmacy, I just give them regular Bonine.

You'll probably be surprised that the kids don't even notice the motion!

Children,,,,,do get sea sick...........

One cruise I was on alittle girl was in the buffet

line with her mother,,,,,,,,The little girl threw up..........

The staff wasn't quick enough to get in cleaned up,,,,,

alittle boy with his Dad was walking and fell in the puke.......................

Also another child's dad had taken him to the Dr on the ship......

Parents,,,,get something from your Dr........

Go to Walmart,,,,,,,make sure you have something.

I know that Walmart has a brand that is good for kids. My little one has been cruising since he was 3 and we have always given him a motion sickness pill, i just don't remember which one. Just read the back of the box and you will see one for kids.

If you live near a Cost Plus World Market, ask them for Ginger Bears. They are like Gummy Bears, but made with Ginger. They may also sell Ginger Chews, which are basically the same, but shaped like a Tootsie Roll. I've seen Ginger Chews in more stores - sometimes in natural food stores or drugstores, but I've only seen Ginger Bears in Cost Plus. You can also order Ginger Chews from www.gingerpeople.com

Good luck and enjoy your cruise

I just read this in the October issue of Budget Travel magazine in "20 tips": If you are feeling nauseated while on a boat, peal an orange, hold the rind to your nose, squeeze it, and inhale. A cruise waiter had told this to a passenger.

I am curious to know if anyone has heard of this or tried it.

My daughter gets carsick all the time, these work wonders. Make sure to get them in the system at least an hour before sailing.

I've found that she usually is at her worst at the begining of the cruise and the motion sickness abates as the cruise wears on.

Does anyone have any ideas for motion sickness remedies for kids? I am not aware of anything made specifically for kids. I was going to bring ginger snaps for my dd (8yo) but if there is something else I can get that would be great.

Any suggestions?

We swear by Ginger capsules. If your dd can not yet swallow pills, just break them open and dissolve in Kool-Aide. Also, Altoids make Ginger Altoids and they work well, too. My oldest daughter hates them but, my younger daughter thinks they are just like "fireball" jawbreakers.

In case the seas get very rough, you can also get Emetrol at Walmart or Target. It is a fantastic anti-vomitting syrup that is made specifically for children. It tastes AWFUL but has worked very well when we have needed it.

We have used Bonine, but I prefer to use more natural products as much as possible. My dds refuse to wear SeaBands as they are far from stylish. (I think little sweatbands with balls happen to be more stylish than a green complexion but, I'm 40ish and they are tweens. And it seems that as their horomones increase, my brain cells decrease.)

My wife gets very sick and dizzy on the ship, so the kids and her tried the wristbands with two pressure points IT WORKED!!! neither of them got sick for the whole cruise. Until one night my oldest one took hers off and guess what? She got sick within 3 or 4 hours. She put it back on both wrists the next day and was fine the rest of the trip.:)

I read a report, seems like it was Consumers Report, on seasick meds and the studies showed that the ginger tabs beat all other remedies hands down with no side effects. Unless the seas are rough, most ships handle so well that most that are prone to seasickness don't have a problem. Interesting, on our last cruise, one night the decks were closed and the waves were white capping. We asked several crew members if the sea was especially rough that night and they said "oh, no, the seas weren't rough, that was just the wind". They all said the same thing but for the life of me I could never figure out the difference!

Archived