Royal Caribbean Mariner vs Carnival Legend

I've toured both and sailed on the sister of each. Either one would be a great fit for 30-somethings and both satisfy your stated interests very well. I'd recommend checking itineraries and fares for your preferred travel dates and make the decision accordingly. But if all other things are equal, I'd suggest a slight preference for Royal Caribbean (even though I personally love Carnival).

All Royal Caribbean's ships have been fitted with luxurious new bedding within the last year.

I vote for Mariner. It is jaw-dropping gorgous, and has a wonderful crew/service. Food was delicious, and there is so much to do onboard that whatever you are into, there'll be something fun going on that interests you.

Which ship would you recommend for couples in their 30s? Looking for a ship with fun crowd and lots of activities? Thanks!

you can't even compare these lines. RCI is so much better. We've been on the Mariner and it's a fabulous ship!

but if you're looking for young, young, young, party, party, party, you're better off taking carnival

you can't even compare these lines. RCI is so much better. We've been on the Mariner and it's a fabulous ship!

but if you're looking for young, young, young, party, party, party, you're better off taking carnival

Perhaps this person hasn't actually sailed Carnival. We're in our 50s and find plenty of our contemporaries on board. Age demographics for both lines are identical (more young adults on shorter cruises for both). While I agree that RCI presents a slightly better overall cruise product, many experienced cruisers (myself included) would disagree with the above claim that "RCI is so much better".

Perhaps this person hasn't actually sailed Carnival. We're in our 50s and find plenty of our contemporaries on board. Age demographics for both lines are identical (more young adults on shorter cruises for both). While I agree that RCI presents a slightly better overall cruise product, many experienced cruisers (myself included) would disagree with the above claim that "RCI is so much better".

just read the reviews. Carnival usually gets lower ratings in most categories. In general, it's cheaper to go so you tend to get the younger crowd. It has the reputation of being a party line.

RCI has a better reputation for food, decor and overall quality of the ship, in general. Usually grouped with Princess, and Norwegian, and below Holland America and Celebrity. But higher than Carnival, who is usually grouped with Costa, and the like. Customer reviews usually put RCI ships with higher ratings than Carnival. Just a fact!

Just depends on what the OP wants out of a cruise. They asked, I answered.

If itineraries put you at a draw, embarkation port, etc. all being equal...I vote for the Legend. She's a stunning ship, beautiful public rooms, food was terrific, I have nothing but good comments about this ship, her crew & her passengers. We cruised on her for the first time last April 2006 & I couldn't wait to get back on for a repeat in July 2006. In April we were in cabin 8126 on the Panorama Deck, and in July (because 8126 was already booked), I was in 8108. Both cabins were equally fantastic.

The crowd seemed to range from 20-somethings to maybe 70's. More younger than older. Alot of fun people. Activities seemed to range from the quiet (trivia fests, etc.) to the outrageous (duplicating TV's "Survivor" on the Lido Deck). A little of something for everyone. The Disco rocked every night! The only place on ship I really didn't like was the piano bar. Their piano guy stunk.... when compared to Barry on the Glory, lol.

Whichever you decide I hope you have a wonderful cruise experience.

Chris

just read the reviews. Carnival usually gets lower ratings in most categories. In general, it's cheaper to go so you tend to get the younger crowd. It has the reputation of being a party line.

RCI has a better reputation for food, decor and overall quality of the ship, in general. Usually grouped with Princess, and Norwegian, and below Holland America and Celebrity. But higher than Carnival, who is usually grouped with Costa, and the like. Customer reviews usually put RCI ships with higher ratings than Carnival. Just a fact!

Just depends on what the OP wants out of a cruise. They asked, I answered.

Even Cruise Critic participant reviews of the Mariner average four stars, exactly the same as the Carnival Legend. Fodor's rates Royal Caribbean as a "mainstream line", exactly the same as Carnival.

Carnival used to have a reputation as a "party line", but things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. And I actually have first hand experience, having sailed 11 times with Carnival and four times with Royal Caribbean.

This is not to dismiss your opinion (as someone who hasn't actually sailed both lines?) But just to express a different viewpoint.

Archived