Why can't RCL...........?

scher

If RCL is cruising out of ports that are colder........such as Bayonne NJ, why can't they spend some money and put a retractable glass roof enclosing the solarium pool?

When the weather is not nice enough to swim and when the sun is shining and warm they just open it up........I am sure this could be done and it would seem to make it more attractive to some people that are afraid of boredom on those long cold sea days until they get around Florida. And the cost would offset the amount of people who shy away from these cruises because of the cold weather.

If RCL is cruising out of ports that are colder........such as Bayonne NJ, why can't they spend some money and put a retractable glass roof enclosing the solarium pool?

When the weather is not nice enough to swim and when the sun is shining and warm they just open it up........I am sure this could be done and it would seem to make it more attractive to some people that are afraid of boredom on those long cold sea days until they get around Florida. And the cost would offset the amount of people who shy away from these cruises because of the cold weather.

So I have to ask, is the Explorer sailing half empty during the cold weather month?

So I have to ask, is the Explorer sailing half empty during the cold weather month?

I don't know.......We are sailing on the Explorer on the Christmas-New Years Sailing and I am pretty sure that one is close to full. Based on the prices that it is at now over when it first came out.

But many people on these boards have made comments how they would not want to sail out of the cold weather and would rather fly to Florida. I personally do not agree as I would have to waste 2 days in the airport to get there and back when I could be enjoying lots of amenities on our moving hotel. Besides not having to pay extra for airfare.

I´ve just been asking this question because of your statement

And the cost would offset the amount of people who shy away from these cruises because of the cold weather.

This would only hold true if they would actually loose out money with sailing a half empty ship during those cold weather month. If the booking numbers are OK even in cold weather month they can´t make up the money as there´s no increase in passengers to expect.

I´ve just been asking this question because of your statement

This would only hold true if they would actually loose out money with sailing a half empty ship during those cold weather month. If the booking numbers are OK even in cold weather month they can´t make up the money as there´s no increase in passengers to expect.

Yes I agree......but again I don't know their finances and how filled they are when sailing. But I can't imagine it could be that costly to do this. And I would think it could really benefit them and do not understand why they would not do this.

We're on the Explorer, sailing out of Bayonne on 12/14/07. It's pretty much full. They must not be expecting problems on selling whatever cabins are still available, as the price keeps going up as the sail date approaches.

That being said, a retractable roof would be nice. :)

If you look at the structure of the ship.....it would be very, very difficult to put in a retractable roof. I don't think it will ever happen. Plus I don't think RCC is worried about filling the ship. Not all ships sail full all the time and I'm sure they have run the numbers before they decided to put Explorer in NJ year round.

That said, this coming winter will be the first time for Explorer....it will be interesting. Snowmen on the Helipad...snowball fights across the pool deck...it might turn out to be a good time.

I have to wait until Feb. 2009 to do it, can't wait to read all the reviews from this coming winter sailings.

I would love a closed roof in the adult pool area. Even on Caribbean cruises, sometimes it's just too hot to sit out in the sun, and it would be nice to have a climate controlled environment like they have on the older ships.

It's one of the main reasons I would like to try a Radiance class ship someday.

If you look at the structure of the ship.....it would be very, very difficult to put in a retractable roof. I don't think it will ever happen. Plus I don't think RCC is worried about filling the ship. Not all ships sail full all the time and I'm sure they have run the numbers before they decided to put Explorer in NJ year round.

That said, this coming winter will be the first time for Explorer....it will be interesting. Snowmen on the Helipad...snowball fights across the pool deck...it might turn out to be a good time.

I have to wait until Feb. 2009 to do it, can't wait to read all the reviews from this coming winter sailings.

Agreed, this winter will be the first time for a Voyager class ship sailing out of a cold weather port on a regular basis, that I am aware of. At worst the cold weather should be a day to a day and a half. Once the ship gets to the Gulf Stream the weather should be warmer. As for filling the ship, I don't think this will be a problem, eliminating flying is a good thing for a lot of people. :)

Radiance class ships have the closed Solarium--they seldom, if ever, open the roof, even when the weather is nice. I prefer the open air Solarium on the Voyager class ships--you can't tan through the closed roofs!!!!

Fortunately, I'm no longer interested in tanning, so it's an added bonus not to have to pile on the sunscreen. :)

I have to disagree with you, although I am not a engineer. The solarium pool area has enclosed glass window sides already. I actually do not like the pool area because I feel there is a lack of breeze. I think it would be easy with the way the ship it structured, but again I am no expert

On our 13 day Grandeur repo last fall, the sides as well as the top of the Solarium were opened frequently. On Brilliance, the top would also open as needed. From memory, I don't believe Brilliance could open the sides, as they were a solid construction. Give a plus to the Vision class ships for that!

Rick and Deirdra

I have cruised on both the explorer and the serenade...much prefer the enclosed solarium on the serenade. I am considering cruising from NY this winter but have ruled out doing so on the explorer and am looking at the noordam due to the enclosed pool. In the cold weather an enclosed solarium gives you another venue/option on spending some of your at sea time there.

I feel that some other cruisers ( those with no children) are bypassing the explorer in favor of the noordam and their enclosed pool. That said HAL won't be sailing in the winter from NY after this winter.

I don't know.......We are sailing on the Explorer on the Christmas-New Years Sailing and I am pretty sure that one is close to full. Based on the prices that it is at now over when it first came out.

But many people on these boards have made comments how they would not want to sail out of the cold weather and would rather fly to Florida. I personally do not agree as I would have to waste 2 days in the airport to get there and back when I could be enjoying lots of amenities on our moving hotel. Besides not having to pay extra for airfare.

We so agree with you. No extra Hotel or airfare, (and how fun is flying now) :)

I suspect that if Explorer does not turn a nice profit sailing out of Bayonne then it won't be sailing from there for very long.

I have to say that the one thing that I really preferred on Serenade over the Voyager ships was the enclosed solarium. Down in the Caribbean it was a great place to get out of the heat. I'm sure it would also be a great place to get out of the cold.

As for tanning..... I think the medical issues associated with that are well documented.....

Archived