Tell me the scoop on Sovereign of the Seas

dino76

Hi,

We will be sailing on Sovereign of the Seas for the first time in February. What can you tell us about the ship... what you liked and what you didn't like. And tips on what not too miss or what not to waste time on.

Also, do they have safes in all the rooms?

THANKS!

Dinomac

If you have an interior or OV, expect to be cozy... not a problem for me,

I was on her on a Fri tp Mon. I think it is a more casual crowd over the weekend, I was not impressed with the dining room..... at least 1/3 empty each night.

Buffet dining very good.

Sorry, I posted in error before I finished.

The ship is beautiful and We had a great weekend.

We are sailing Majesty , sister of Sovereign, in a few weeks on the Mon - Fri trip, I have heard great things about the renovation. I will be curious to see the didd. between weekend and weekday cruises.

ML

We loved everything about Sovereign. We were on a cruse July 30, 4 night cruise this year. If I can say anything bad is There is not alot for teen agers to do, outside of creating their own fun. Because they can swim, eat, and play video games for so long. I have 13 and 16 year old boys who became bored at times, And at one time a Teenage boy was found smoking, so a curfew was set at 12AM. But overall we all loved it, and we talk as a family and decided to take a 5 night cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas Aug. '08 to the Western Caribbean.

So where do you put your important papers, extra cash????

You go to the purser's desk and get a lock box. If you lose the key I think they said it was $25 or $30, but get a lock box.

What I didnt like was the tiny cabins. Wouldnt do that ship again.

We originally booked a inside cabin on (3), but I upgraded to a Superior Oceanview. Should give us a little more room.

So you go to the Purser for a lockbox, what does that mean... to put in your room or is it down in the Purser's office????

We just got back from a cruise on Sovereign of the Seas. We left on a Monday and returned on a Friday. There was 13 members of our family on board.

Personally we, my Boyfriend and I, were very disappointed in Royal Caribbean and Sovereign. The customer service was extremely lacking and the boat is in need of repair. There was a constant sewage smell in alot of the public areas of the boat.

I can say that the entertainment was very good on the boat. The food was ok, not the best but not the worst. If eating in the formal dining room at night - be prepared to spend at least 2+ hours as the service is slow. The activities on board kept most of us busy and satisfied. The only member of our family who had an issue was the 13 year old who was slightly bored.

The rooms are small and in need of repair (our thermostat was broken, the room temp was 82 degrees and it took 3 days to get it repaired), there are no safes in most rooms.....some of the issues that we have had.

We have enjoyed the SOS 4 times, most recently in September. Very nice ship, never a smell. The dining room service was as good as ever. It's not a race to finish dinner in 30 minutes.

Sure, rooms are small but this ship was the biggest afloat when launched. We have been on the biggest and some of the smallest. Enjoyed each and every cruise. Never had a bad one. Not having the ice bucket filled is a poor excuse to have a bad cruise.

Compared to the pain and suffering of some in this world, how can any cruise be bad? Excuse me while I get off my soap box.

We just got back from the Sovereign last Friday. We had a great time. The entertainment in the main theater was very good. I'd say the food was average in the dining room and buffet (only in there for breakfast and some lunches) - it was what we expected so we were not disapointed. Lunch in the dining room was actually very good. The service was pretty good. Our cabin steward was excellent - but I've heard that is just luck of the draw.

I think some of the superior ocean views have safes, and the JS and up also have safes. Otherwise, you'll need to get a lock box at the pursers desk. We were pleased with the customer service - we had a lady in the cabin next to us that was talking so loud she was almost screaming at 1am and the next night at 4am, so my husband called customer service, who were very anxious to please, and we didn't hear a peep from her after that.

The ship looked to be in very good condition for a 20 yr old vessel. They were painting the aft pool when we boarded, and it was filled and open by the next day. The forward pool is for adults only and I saw staff enforcing this. We did have a sewer type smell in our bathroom, but I brought a spray air freshener and that helped. We had such a wonderful time and little details like that are not going to ruin my vacation! Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze also.

I hope this helped. Feel free to ask any more specific questions.

We originally booked a inside cabin on (3), but I upgraded to a Superior Oceanview. Should give us a little more room.

So you go to the Purser for a lockbox, what does that mean... to put in your room or is it down in the Purser's office????

The superior oceanview does have more room. Last time I was on the Sov., we had 4 SO in my party and they all had safes. Some you typed in a code and some had the magnetic strip. Either way, there is a safe in the SO rooms. There is not however a fridge, but the ice bucket was always full.

I didn't notice a smell (again it was last June..), and I found the entertainment and food to be great.

You'll have a great time, I love the Sovereign. Just remember that it is an older ship and doesn't come with all the bells and wistles.

We are "simple" people and expect to have a good time, otherwise why go? Little things don't bother us... there is no perfect trip, vacation or cruise, so why expect such? We enjoyed Enchantment and we plan on enjoying Sovereign! :) THANKS everyone for the info, tips and advice!

Archived