Live from the Grand with tips for the budget minded

sprinkles

Hi All,

I just had to post for those of you leaving for the Fall Folliage cruise Friday. I had such a hard time finding things before I left, I just had to post today. So this is just a few things about ways to save money.

OK,

Newport- If you're interested in the Mansions - very easy. Walk to the left to the visitors center. They will give you a map of the trolley and you catch it right there. $5.00 all day or $1.50 one way. DH and I went to the Breakers and Marble House for $23.00 pp (half of ship cost).

Boston - Walked out to the left of cruise terminal to bus stop (not far) caught the Silverline bus 92 (or 93). We wre the only people on the bus. Busdriver VERY helpfull. For $2.00 apiece he took us to South Station - which is underground and you walk right off the bus onto the subway for no extra money. Took the Red inbound train one stop and changed to orange two stops (one more stop wil take you to Quincy Market). We got off at Haymarket (second stop) and took the 92 bus (93 bus is better) for $1.70 each to the Constitution and toured for free at our own pace. Went to the Museum right there then took the ferry (right there) for $1.70 apiece - prety views, ferry took us right to the Aquarium, from there a short walk to Quincy Market. Going back we just reversed the whole subway/bus for $2.00 again and went right back to the ship (taking the outbound orange and red instead, then back on the silverline bus for free.

Bar Harbor, Did Oli's trolley to Acadia for $10 less then ship. Fun tour, more intimate, eats a little crummy to sit in.

Saint John, terrible weather. Walked through the shopping to old city market. Ship got delayed leaving port for 5 hours due to weather.

Halifax - didn't get to port till 1 pm due to delay the day before. Anyway there is a FREE shuttle bus called FRED that you can take right from the ship. Get a map from information center it will show you the stops (all the same as ships hop on hop off for $44 apiece). There is only one bus and it takes 40 minutes to go around. But it will take you to the museum of the Atlantic where admission is only $7.50. To the Citadel where admission is only $7.00pp, to the public gardens (free), etc etc. Best shopping was right in the terminal by the ship.

Sydney, shared a taxi with another couple for city tour $65.00 for 2 hours, very nice. Then went to the Fortress of Louisberg. Also enjoyed very much, but they are closing all the buildings today.

Cornerbrook, took another city tour via taxi for $65.00 finally saw some nice color, but the weather is terrible.

OK, gotta go. Hope this helps someone and I hope I got it to you before you all have left. Have a great time!!!! I'll be getting off Thursday so you can all get on!!!

Tammy

Thanks Tammy! We are catching our flight tonight to board the Grand Princess for the Canada/New England/Colonial America 16 day cruise that ends in Fort Lauderdale.

We booked late (a few days ago) and don't have any excursions planned. Thanks for the wonderful advice. I'll print out a copy and take it with us.

Lisa

Glad

I was able to help a few people. We also took a city bus out to the falls in Quebec (ship tour $49 plus a couple of other stops). We definately figured out that the information centers do not want to/or are not allowed to tell you about public transportation unless you specifically ask. In Quebec, the info booth were pushing taxi's for $30 one way to the Falls. When we asked about a city bus she smiled and was very helpful. Gave us a map with detailed instructions and bus numbers. For $2.40 each we took a bus to the falls. Then for $2.40 again we returned on the bus, got a free transfer and got to the top of the hill near the Chateau de Frontenac. Walked around the upper city then took the fenicular for $1.75 back down the hill.

OK, I just literally got home so I apologize for spelling mistakes. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help. Bon Voyage!!!!

Tammy

Glad

I was able to help a few people. We also took a city bus out to the falls in Quebec (ship tour $49 plus a couple of other stops). We definately figured out that the information centers do not want to/or are not allowed to tell you about public transportation unless you specifically ask. In Quebec, the info booth were pushing taxi's for $30 one way to the Falls. When we asked about a city bus she smiled and was very helpful. Gave us a map with detailed instructions and bus numbers. For $2.40 each we took a bus to the falls. Then for $2.40 again we returned on the bus, got a free transfer and got to the top of the hill near the Chateau de Frontenac. Walked around the upper city then took the fenicular for $1.75 back down the hill.

OK, I just literally got home so I apologize for spelling mistakes. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help. Bon Voyage!!!!

Tammy

This is to sprinkles- I hope you make a review under the members review of the Grand. I love to read prior to my cruises what others thought of the ship and experience. You had some great tips.:) I returned on 10/6 on the Crown with some of the same ports as you and agree on how you can experience a port on your own, if you only knew how easy it was to do. Thanks.

Thanks Arizona,

But really a review under that section wouldn't be worth much. Honestly, LOL, we ate in the Lido half of the time (ranged from good to mediocre). The other nights we ate in Michelangelo (ranged from outstanding to fair). It was all about the itinerary for us (we had done all the specialty dining on her before). We didn't go to one single show (and we're in our 40's), just a quick dinner and a game of scrabble in our room or a movie (lots of good movies) and we were ready for bed.

I will say this, we loved starting our mornings watching the morning show. It was the best one ever. Tip on that. They give out an easy trivia question every morning. You fill out your answers in the Library, then the next morning they pick some for prize tokens. We won enough tokens to get a free Princess bag and had some leftover to give a friend so they could get a bag too.

Tammy

Archived