Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort

polodad

Just returned from Oahu where we stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott. A few thoughts that may be helpful. Unless included in your room rate do NOT order breakfast at the Kuhio restaurant in the hotel unless you enjoy being overcharged. We did it 1 day in order to save time. Pancakes were $18. Much more enjoyable at the Hula Grill in the Outrigger , above Duke's on the beach, 3 blocks away. Pancakes were great @ $6.75. As an alternative to parking at the Marriott at $20 per day use the Banyan Condo across the street at $8 per 24 hr day including in & out privliges. Nearby place to eat dinner or drinks is Duke's in the Outrigger. Dolphin snorkeling excursion in Zodiac booked thru concierge at Marriott was awesome. If you want a fabulous romantic dinner in Waikiki we really enjoyed Orchids @ the Halekulani Hotel (try house without a key for drinks first); and the Hano Hano room atop the Sheraton. Enjoy!

You don't say much about the hotel itself. We will be staying there before our cruise on December 17. We have booked it directly ourselves not with the cruise line. If you took a cruise which line did you cruise on. Did you rent a car and if not how did you get to the port on day of sailing?

You don't say much about the hotel itself. We will be staying there before our cruise on December 17. We have booked it directly ourselves not with the cruise line. If you took a cruise which line did you cruise on. Did you rent a car and if not how did you get to the port on day of sailing?

We were there in August and had a wonderful time. The room was spacious and clean and the staff was really wonderful and accomodating. We had a full ocean view room which was spectacular. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

We also booked the room ourselves (post-cruise aboard the Pride of America). We stayed at another hotel precruise and rented a car for our stay. We drove ourselves to the pier, unloaded our luggage, checked in and boarded the ship. Then, my DH left the ship and returned the car (National). It worked out well for us.

we stayed there pre-cruise and I loved it...the hotel is simply beautiful and very convenient...we didn't eat breakfast there so I wouldn't know anything about the price...we took the circle island tour with robert's it lasted 8 hours and was one of my favorite tours...we didn't get back until around 5:30 and arrived at the ship at 6 pm...I was beginning to get concerned....but getting there that late...we sailed through check-in very quickly...no problem

Unless included in your room rate do NOT order breakfast at the Kuhio restaurant in the hotel unless you enjoy being overcharged. We did it 1 day in order to save time. Pancakes were $18.

If you go one block towards Diamond Head you'll see Lulu's Surf Bar on the second level of the Park Shore Hotel. Their banana macadamian nut pancakes are truly spectacular and under the $10 mark. :D The eggs and other dishes were yummy too. And the view from the ledge can't be beat either‚you can see both the beach and the volcano.

You're right, I didn't say much about the hotel originally. This was my 4th time at this Marriott. I love the location. the room was fine, partial ocean view, updated, tiny balcony, good bedding, clean, excellent ac. Only complaint was elevators were not working. 5 elevators for our tower, 33 stories. Several times there were only 2 working elevators and a 10 minute wait to get in one. The hotel was at 100% capacity last week. I was not pleased when they assigned 2 double beds to us for our honeymoon inspite of 2 calls reminding them it was a honeymoon. It took extended pleading at the front desk to obtain the king that we eventually got.

We did not take a cruise. Car rental at airport from National via Priceline, snagged a Sebring convertible for $28/ day. Lots of fun driving topless, woo hoo.

I have been told that the Marriott has a NCL cruise desk and a Hertz rental desk. Here is my situation. We are a party of 8 (4 grandparents in their late 60's, parents in early 40's, and a 9 and 11 year old) that will be flying into HNL on a Friday night at 8pm and cruising on Pride of America on Sat to be onboard by 5pm. We want to see Pearl Harbor pre-cruise. Here are my questions:

1. What time does the cruise desk open?

2. Can we check out of the hotel and drop luggage off at the cruise desk early and then tour or do we have to follow luggage to the ship?

3. Can we tour and then return to hotel to catch NCL shuttle to ship or get other transportfrom hotel or Pearl Harbor?

What have you guys done?

Thanks!

• Administrators
I have been told that the Marriott has a NCL cruise desk and a Hertz rental desk. Here is my situation. We are a party of 8 (4 grandparents in their late 60's, parents in early 40's, and a 9 and 11 year old) that will be flying into HNL on a Friday night at 8pm and cruising on Pride of America on Sat to be onboard by 5pm. We want to see Pearl Harbor pre-cruise. Here are my questions:

1. What time does the cruise desk open?

2. Can we check out of the hotel and drop luggage off at the cruise desk early and then tour or do we have to follow luggage to the ship?

3. Can we tour and then return to hotel to catch NCL shuttle to ship or get other transportfrom hotel or Pearl Harbor?

What have you guys done?

Thanks!

Did you book the Marriott through NCL? That's a key question -- the luggage service is included for those who booked this hotel via NCL (I think space available they will take other luggage for a fee, though). If you did book via NCL (or are able to book a luggage pickup separately) they will pick up your luggage FROM YOUR ROOM and take it to the ship. You are free to spend your day as you choose. This was a great service -- we used it at our pre-cruise hotel, the Ilikai, which we booked via NCL. We left the hotel room for Pearl Harbor by 6:00 AM, leaving our luggage tagged for ship delivery in the room. We did return to the hotel to pick up our carryons, and caught the NCL shuttle to the ship, after Pearl Harbor.

here's an update on the slow elevator situation at the Marriott:

Aloha Ms. Dechter,

Right now we are upgrading our elevators and we are currently doing one elevator at a time in our Paoakalani tower. There are five (5) elevators in service at all time when this upgrade is being done. We have already done the upgrade on the elevators in our Kealohilani.

Mahalo

Did you book the Marriott through NCL? That's a key question -- the luggage service is included for those who booked this hotel via NCL (I think space available they will take other luggage for a fee, though). If you did book via NCL (or are able to book a luggage pickup separately) they will pick up your luggage FROM YOUR ROOM and take it to the ship. You are free to spend your day as you choose. This was a great service -- we used it at our pre-cruise hotel, the Ilikai, which we booked via NCL. We left the hotel room for Pearl Harbor by 6:00 AM, leaving our luggage tagged for ship delivery in the room. We did return to the hotel to pick up our carryons, and caught the NCL shuttle to the ship, after Pearl Harbor.

We haven't booked any hotel or tour yet, just got the cruise booked for June of 2008. How did you like the Ilikai? Who did you use for the Pearl Harbor tour and what time did you return to the hotel? And what did you do with your carry-ons while you were on the tour? Were they left in your room or with the front desk?

Thanks again!

• Administrators
We haven't booked any hotel or tour yet, just got the cruise booked for June of 2008. How did you like the Ilikai? Who did you use for the Pearl Harbor tour and what time did you return to the hotel? And what did you do with your carry-ons while you were on the tour? Were they left in your room or with the front desk?

Thanks again!

We liked the Ilikai. We didn't experience many of the hotel's amenities, as we were too busy checking out Oahu, but our room was huge and clean and the staff was very nice. :) Its location was good with NCL shuttles, the bus to and from our luau at Paradise Cove, etc. -- it's at the end of Waikiki that makes it first stop on those things. We had a rental car and went to Pearl Harbor on our own -- we only took with us stuff that would fit in our pockets, so we didn't have to worry about bag check, etc. at Pearl (no bags that might conceal something are permitted at Pearl). We got back to the hotel around 11:30 after gassing up the rental and returning it -- then we picked up our carryons from the room (check out wasn't until noon) and met the NCL shuttle to the ship. Hope that helps!

I am booked at the Marriott pre-cruise in February. How far away is the Banyon Condo's? $8 sounds incredible for parking. Just don't want a walk that's too far away. If your room is in the tower closer to the beach wouldn't you have an extra long walk? I'm only asking because my husband has trouble walking and I'm trying to save most of his walking for the beach.

Thanks again!

We booked the Ilikai for our precruise and the Marriott for our post cruise. We liked both but the Ilikai, had a microwave and kitchenette with it and was alot cheaper, but a little older. The staff was excellent there and as we checked out they kept our luggage for us at no charge until we could get back and pick it up. The bed for us, was nicer at the Ilikai because we like a firmer mattress. The Marriott you sunk in a mile.:) It was very soft. Both are very nice and close to a lot of things. But for the money we would of stayed at the Ilikai both pre and post cruise if we had it to do over again.

I've booked the Marriott through NCL for pre-cruise stay. When I leave my luggage in the room for pick-up, how do they know what to take and what to leave as my carryon? I'm afraid I'll get back to the room when it's time for the ship shuttle and my carryon will be gone.

• Administrators
I've booked the Marriott through NCL for pre-cruise stay. When I leave my luggage in the room for pick-up, how do they know what to take and what to leave as my carryon? I'm afraid I'll get back to the room when it's time for the ship shuttle and my carryon will be gone.

They will have a letter for you explaining where in the room to leave the ship luggage, and of course, it will have the ship luggage tags on it. We just stuck our carryons in the closet in the room, and put the big bags for the ship right by the door, so there was no question which they were to take.

I am booked at the Marriott pre-cruise in February. How far away is the Banyon Condo's? $8 sounds incredible for parking. Just don't want a walk that's too far away. If your room is in the tower closer to the beach wouldn't you have an extra long walk? I'm only asking because my husband has trouble walking and I'm trying to save most of his walking for the beach.

The Marriott has twin towers. My spelling is probably off. The Kheolini tower is across the street from the beach. The Pakolani tower is 1 block further in from the beach. The Banyan Condo is across the street from the Pakolani tower. We are in decent shape and since we were staying in the Pakolani tower (the Marriott garage is in the Kheolini tower) it was just as close to park in the Banyan garage at $8 per day instead of $20 in the Marriott. Also, we were staying 5 days, so it was worthwhile.

elevators- My recollection is there were a total of 5 elevators in the Pakolini tower. During our stay last week on at least 2 days, only 2 elevators were working & there were 10 minute delays, lines & ticked off people. At least one of the elevators was stuck on the 16th floor (our floor) & undergoing repairs (not upgrade per the repairman I talked to) for the full 5 days we were there.

We liked the Ilikai. We didn't experience many of the hotel's amenities, as we were too busy checking out Oahu, but our room was huge and clean and the staff was very nice. :) Its location was good with NCL shuttles, the bus to and from our luau at Paradise Cove, etc. -- it's at the end of Waikiki that makes it first stop on those things. We had a rental car and went to Pearl Harbor on our own -- we only took with us stuff that would fit in our pockets, so we didn't have to worry about bag check, etc. at Pearl (no bags that might conceal something are permitted at Pearl). We got back to the hotel around 11:30 after gassing up the rental and returning it -- then we picked up our carryons from the room (check out wasn't until noon) and met the NCL shuttle to the ship. Hope that helps!

That is exactly the info I needed, thanks. Which car rental company did you use? Did you pick up and drop off at the airport with a shuttle back to the hotel and then the NCL shuttle to the ship?

• Administrators
That is exactly the info I needed, thanks. Which car rental company did you use? Did you pick up and drop off at the airport with a shuttle back to the hotel and then the NCL shuttle to the ship?

No, with the package we purchased through NCL we had airport > hotel transfers, so we took them. We booked our rental car through Alamo, having realized (via research) that their city office is literally across the street (Ala Moana) from the Ilikai -- couldn't be 200 yards as the crow flies. So we took the shuttle from the airport to the Ilikai (we were the first stop on the shuttle bus), checked in, dumped our bags, then walked across the street to get our rental car. Two days later, before boarding the ship, we drove the rental car to Pearl Harbor early AM, then returned the rental car to Alamo, and walked back across the street to the Ilikai to retrieve our carry-ons and catch the NCL shuttle to the ship. Glad you found the info helpful!

Hale Koa right next door is a great hotel with unbeatable prices, great food and free parking.

Ocean front room with balcony viewing the beach and ocean runs around $150 when we visited. It may be up to around $180 now.

Minor catch however, it caters only to members of the military.

So you have to pay your dues to get the great rates.:D

Hey! I tried asking this question on a separate thread, but I'm getting no responses, so I'm trying here. Has anyone used the Marriott's spa services? What did you think?

Thanks for anyone with an opinion:)

I intended to use the spa services but never did. Hawaii was so beautiful and relaxing, I didn't need a massage (probably could have used a pedi but I didn't want to give up any time for it)!

Based on our hotel stay and the level of service we received, I would bet that the spa services would be equally good, imho.

No, with the package we purchased through NCL we had airport > hotel transfers, so we took them. We booked our rental car through Alamo, having realized (via research) that their city office is literally across the street (Ala Moana) from the Ilikai -- couldn't be 200 yards as the crow flies. So we took the shuttle from the airport to the Ilikai (we were the first stop on the shuttle bus), checked in, dumped our bags, then walked across the street to get our rental car. Two days later, before boarding the ship, we drove the rental car to Pearl Harbor early AM, then returned the rental car to Alamo, and walked back across the street to the Ilikai to retrieve our carry-ons and catch the NCL shuttle to the ship. Glad you found the info helpful!

I cann't thank you enough for the step-by-step info above. I promice to pay it forward and be as helpfull and patient to others when I return from my cruise in June 2008!

Archived