Good news about the Paul Gauguin

At least if this is true:

rom ModernAgent:

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will continue to operate and manage the 330-passenger Paul Gauguin in Tahiti through January 2010. Regent reached an agreement that extends the contract with ship owner Paul Gauguin Shipping Limited (PGSL). The new agreement extends Regent Seven Seas' previous contract by one year. The pact will be reviewed annually and extended based upon mutual agreement between PGSL and Regent. "Paul Gauguin has been an extremely popular ship that has transformed the cruise marketplace in French Polynesia," said Mark Conroy, president of Regent Seven Seas Cruises. "As we approach the 10th anniversary of uninterrupted South Pacific cruising with the Gauguin, we are very pleased to continue the operation and management of this magnificent luxury vessel." Named for the famous 19th century post-Impressionist artist who found his inspiration in the lifestyle and people of French Polynesia, Paul Gauguin was launched at the end of 1997 and immediately began year-round operations from Papeete. The ship has offered French Polynesia voyages ever since and has carried over 100,000 cruise guests. For more information, call 800-285-1835 or visit http://www.TheRegentExperience.com.

Wendy,

What you have is exactly correct. This press release is from the Regent website:

Regent Seven Seas Renews Agreement to Manage and Operate Paul Gauguin in TahitiFort Lauderdale - October 15, 2007 - Regent Seven Seas Cruises, voted the world's #1 small-ship operator in 2007 by readers of Condé Nast Traveler, has reached an agreement with ship owner Paul Gauguin Shipping Limited (PGSL) that extends Regent Seven Seas' exclusive contract to operate and manage the 330-guest ship Paul Gauguin through January of 2010.

The new agreement extends Regent Seven Seas' previous contract with PGSL by one year. The pact will be reviewed annually and extended based upon mutual agreement between PGSL and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

"Paul Gauguin has been an extremely popular ship that has transformed the cruise marketplace in French Polynesia," said Mark Conroy, president of Regent Seven Seas Cruises. "As we approach the tenth anniversary of uninterrupted South Pacific cruising with the Gauguin, we are very pleased to continue the operation and management of this magnificent luxury vessel."

Named for the famous 19th century post-Impressionist artist who found his inspiration in the lifestyle and people of French Polynesia, Paul Gauguin was launched at the end of 1997 and immediately began its year-round operations from Papeete. The ship has offered French Polynesia voyages ever since and has become a South Seas legend, having carried over 100,000 cruise guests to this magical destination.

About Regent Seven Seas Cruises - Regent Seven Seas CruisesSM (RSSC) is part of Carlson Companies, a global leader in the hotel, restaurant, business and leisure travel, and marketing industries. The Regent brand encompasses luxury hotels, resorts, residences and cruises throughout the world, offering discerning travelers The Regent Experience with unique and personalized luxury. Regent Seven Seas (formerly Radisson Seven Seas) operates a fleet of medium-sized luxury cruise ships that visit over 300 ports on all seven continents, including Antarctica. RSSC is consistently rated among the world's top three cruise lines by readers of luxury travel magazines. Travel professionals worldwide voted RSSC the "World's Best Luxury Cruise Line" for the third consecutive year as part of the 2006 Travel Weekly Awards and readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine voted RSSC "World's Best Small-Ship Cruise Line" in 2007.

For further information, contact Regent Seven Seas Cruises, 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 500, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33334. For brochures, call toll-free (866) 284-4079; for reservation information call toll-free (800) 285-1835; or visit: www.TheRegentExperience.com.

This is great news! :)

Yes, a year at a time is better than nothing. As I said, I had heard over a month ago that this would be the case, but didn't want to stir anything up (worse than I previously did) by commenting specifically when so many conflicting bits of info came my way.

In any event, the official announcement is great news.

Yes, it means if we manage to do our December 2008 trip, it won't be like "Death in Venice" on the ship.

Wendy,

Thanks! You always have a "boatload" of information. :D

Not only am I happy that my December 2008 trip won't be almost the ship's swan song, but I'm genuinely pleased for the staff and crew who work so hard to give us a wonderful experience. I've seen the effect that speculation about their future has on the staff, so they now can be confident of at least two more years, and probably more, and this will be reflected in the level of service and mood on the ship.

Archived