Waitlist Problem

parisbully

I currently have suite PH and am waitlisted on VS and OS. I periodically check on the Princess website. At last, there was a perfect VS D737 available. Called my TA right away and got their answering machine. Decided to book myself and then cancel my original since final payment was way in the future. It was gone....... Do you get called if you are waitlisted? Why bother if no one gets ahold of you???? Anyone with experience with this?

We have been waitlisted on several cruises for a certain cabin type. NEVER, not once, were we contacted as they became available. Although I also kept a close eye out myself and many times have been able to grab that cabin up before it disappears. The waitlists seem to be almost useless, not sure why they even have them. :( So, you need to be quick on the keys if one pops up, before it disappears.

FYI-keep checking back. That happened to us last year, the TA wasn't quick enough to grab it, but it showed back up three days later and we were able to book it. All we could figure is that someone someone had put a hold on it, then released it back when they decided not to book. So, keep checking, it may show again.

Toto, Thanks. I can always count on your posts for a good response. Emailed my TA (internet) and haven't heard back. Called Princess and they could not answer specifically, but did tell me that they ALWAYS notify waitlisted people.

So what are you saying the difference is? That the internet TA's don't do their job? Not being rude, but don't really understand what you mean. And, I do not have access to a TA other than phone/internet. I live on a small coastal town with the nearest TA over 1 1/2 hours away.

At the time this happened to us, we were using one of the best TA's I had ever seen that specialized in Princess. She said that waitlists were almost a joke as they rarely would contact her when a cabin opened up. I know, it sounds like she wasn't doing her job, but I totally trusted this TA (god rest her sole) and I am sure she was being truthful with me. I miss her to this day as she has since passed away. :(

And yes, I still book through a Travel Agent, I can't see not getting the large discounts that Princess does not pass along to their customers like TA's do.

I have had a mixed experience with waitlists. From Toto's comments I believe we use the same TA. The first time I was waitlisted was for a cruise on the Sea Princess in July of 2006. We were booked in an outside, #1 on the waitlist for a minisuite. I checked 4-5X/day for available minisuites. First saw two available late one night (11:30pm), sent an e-mail to my TA who started early in the AM. By the time I got up the next morning at 6:30 they were both gone and my TA was not able to get them either. She was never notified that a minisuite was available either. A couple of months later I again saw two minisuites available. I tried calling my TA but got her voice mail. I called Princess and very nicely explained why they should give me one of the minisuites without my TA making the request. They tried contacting the TA and also got her voice mail. Since I was #1 on the waitlist they bent their own rules and switched me to the minisuite without going through my TA.

We were also waitlisted for our cruise this past July. Once again I was #1 on the waitlist and my TA told me that she expected it to clear quickly. Since my original TA died last year and her sister is now running her business she didn't know about my troubles of the year before. I certainly wasn't expecting to be notified by Princess, but three days after going on the waitlist they notified my TA that there was a cabin available in the category we wanted.

If I am ever waitlisted I will certainly not expect to be notified and will be sure to check for myself. And I have to agree with you, my internet TA saves me several hundred dollars over booking with Princess.

Thank you Can786 and Toto. I think I am doing everything right. $750 is a lot of money to save. And now I will be on the computer a few more hours than usual......Hopefully I will get a Aft suite. I now have a PH suite on Riviera and worry about the noise from above. If not, that is OK too.

Putting it nicely. If they say they ALWAYS pay attention to waitlists. They are full of ......................... (nicely I said).............BEANS. LOL

Oh I beg to differ with you! I can tell you first hand that's what supposedly happened to the cabin we had paid for and lost, the waitlisted passenger was notified and took it.

Oh I beg to differ with you! I can tell you first hand that's what supposedly happened to the cabin we had paid for and lost, the waitlisted passenger was notified and took it.

Oh, I am sure that sometimes, those on waitlists actually do get them. I just dont' happen to be one of the luck ones I guess. ;)

Because of DH's work, we always end up waitlisting on Princess and have never had a problem being notified -- usually by e-mail. We have then been given 24 hours to respond. A couple of times we turned down the cabins they offered, went back on the waitlist and then got the cabin we wanted. We look for minisuites and balconies; could some of the problem be due to the small number of larger suites and lots of people who want them? (Wish I could get one! :) )

Debbie

and book your cruises on your own directly.....
I use the same Internet TA that Toto and can786 use(d) and I save a considerable amount of money over what I'd pay on the Princess website plus I feel I get personalized service. The bottom line is that no matter what TA, cruiseline or agency you use, it's your responsibility to double-check your booking and be proactive. You have a lot of money on the line and I for one don't take that lightly.

And, I do not have access to a TA other than phone/internet. I live on a small coastal town with the nearest TA over 1 1/2 hours away.

My brick and mortar TA is over 500 miles away. You do not need to drop in to communicate with them.

So what are you saying the difference is? That the internet TA's don't do their job?

I would say establishing a relationship with a single TA who knows your likes and wants goes a long way to making sure they are able and willing to do a good job for you. A "brick and mortar" TA will more than likely fill this bill better than a web based TA from some big factory. They have more time to spend with you personally and are doing more than just answering phones and email.

The types of instances where cabins disappear and reappear as mentioned above I can understand. My TA will put a hold on a cabin for us as soon as we starting considering a specific date and ship. That way we know when we get back to her it will be available.

i am a brick and mortar TA we get the waitlists in the morning and they are cleared before the client gets up , that is the difference between local and the internet. I just cleared 3 this am.

So I guess because I am home based, own my own agency, and get a lot of my clients from the internet, that I do not give the same attention, service, and prices that you do? I am in front of my computer many nights until after 2AM and am back in front of it at 6AM. Please don't make yourself out to be better than other TA's just because you have a storefront. There are quite a few of us that have clients all over the country and we service them a lot better than some of the "brick and mortar" agencies have.

One of the things I have noticed is that clients will ask me about other TA's and what do I think about them. I do not knock them as it just makes you look bad. Ours is a happy profession, we help to make dreams come true for people by providing them with lifelong memories. Don't knock others, it just makes you look petty and mean.

I have had clients clear the waitlists, but as mentioned before, it depends on the category and sailing. If you are waitlisted for a suite on a New Years sailing, good luck. It does happen though, as I can attest :D

Seawillow, Thank you. I am tired of getting badmouthed for losing the cabin I want because I do not have the "right" kind of TA. I do feel she gives me good service and pricing. I do not put the blame entirely on her for not getting my waitlisted cabin. She blames Princess and Princess blames her. I do not who is to blame but I am not willing to give up $750 and move back to Princess. I still have until April 19.....

1. If you are waitlisted (we are sailing Feb. 3) and would like a categor G cabin. They have higher cabins available that are more $$$ we just want an obstructed OV for light and more room. Since there are other OV rooms available is the likelyhood of a GG opening up poor because Princess wants to make more $$$?

2. We are looking at the above mentioned room as a second room. Our final payment is due mid-Nov. for the 1room for 4 people. (Clear as mud huh! We have a GG room reserved and payment due Nov.13. we decided instead of all 4 of us stuffed into 1 small room we would like to pay the $300 or so more and get 2 GG rooms. One adult and child in one room other 2 in the other room...if we get the waitlist). So, lets say we get the waitlist do they have to cancel and rebook our original room since it has the 4 people in it or can they just take the 2 out since our final payment isn't paid yet?

3. Do you put a deposit down and then hope to be called or are you just waitlisted? Can you book a lower cabin (an inside) and waitlist a higher one. If so, do you think they call those people on the waitlist or do upgrades?

Sorry this is long and wordy. I know what I want to ask but not sure how to word it:( :confused:

I would love to find a TA that can give me great deals and I would work with repeatedly. has yet to happen.

Oh, does princess ever have cruise sales or promo's like the other line? It seems like every other line is having a sale or giving perks and not Princess (just because I am looking to book something else!).

Thanks!

1. If you are waitlisted (we are sailing Feb. 3) and would like a categor G cabin. They have higher cabins available that are more $$$ we just want an obstructed OV for light and more room. Since there are other OV rooms available is the likelyhood of a GG opening up poor because Princess wants to make more $$$?

2. We are looking at the above mentioned room as a second room. Our final payment is due mid-Nov. for the 1room for 4 people. (Clear as mud huh! We have a GG room reserved and payment due Nov.13. we decided instead of all 4 of us stuffed into 1 small room we would like to pay the $300 or so more and get 2 GG rooms. One adult and child in one room other 2 in the other room...if we get the waitlist). So, lets say we get the waitlist do they have to cancel and rebook our original room since it has the 4 people in it or can they just take the 2 out since our final payment isn't paid yet?

3. Do you put a deposit down and then hope to be called or are you just waitlisted? Can you book a lower cabin (an inside) and waitlist a higher one. If so, do you think they call those people on the waitlist or do upgrades?

Sorry this is long and wordy. I know what I want to ask but not sure how to word it:( :confused:

I would love to find a TA that can give me great deals and I would work with repeatedly. has yet to happen.

Oh, does princess ever have cruise sales or promo's like the other line? It seems like every other line is having a sale or giving perks and not Princess (just because I am looking to book something else!).

Thanks!

How the heck do you know if a room has become available? Where do you check? Is there a link you folks can share?
Just go on Princess.com and pretend you are going to book a room. They will show up to 6 rooms that are available - there may be many more than 6 but that is all that is shown. If you know the room you want you can try putting that number in and you may be lucky and see that it is available. If there are less than 6 you will see less listed. If there are none available it will either say Wait list or guarantee.

The other way to find out if a certain room is available is to call Princess and ask.

Thanks!

I have had mini suites on waitlist and have called to find out where we were on the list, this keeps it active and gives you an idea of possibly getting it. My friends were waitlist number 10 for a mini suite and today I checked and they are number 6, final payment is due Monday so there is a great chance they will get the mini suite. When you get accepted for the waitlist room call Princess and tell them you want to accept that room for 2 people and keep the original room for 2 people. If you are pretty sure you want the upgraded room for 2, I would change that with Princess as there are more double rooms than quad rooms. They could possibly have that room available now for 2 not 4. I would call them and let them know what you would like to do. You do have to give a deposit if you are not booked on the cruise to be on the waitlist. I had clients who wanted to go on our Panama Canal Cruise and to waitlist them it cost $450.00 which they would get back if the waitlist did not open up. If you are under deposit for a cabin and want another category you do not have to give an additional deposit.

Internet TA's have to handle MANY people in order to make a living.While they would like to give you customer service, it just isn't possible. Other TA's will give you better service and don't charge a "processing fee".

Archived