New to Snorkeling - should I buy a camera?

TessM

I've never snorkeled before but I plan to in February (Princess cruise to Southern -Classic- Carribean). I was thinking about getting an underwater camera but is this realistic? Do you think that I'll get the "hang" of it quickly enough that I will be able to focus (pardon the pun) on getting pictures of the great things I'll be seeing?

Or, will having a camera just be an extra thing to deal with as I'm getting used to the underwater environment?

Did you have a camera with you your first time?

oh yeah...I'm traveling solo so I won't be with someone that can snap pictures for me.

Thanks for your help!

Tess

Buy a disposable underwater camera at Walmart. We've used them before and they take great pictures. I have four that will go with us on our up coming cruise. They have a strap on them so you can take pictures whenever you want while snorkeling.

The first time I went snorkeling I was so enthralled by all of the sea life around me I wouldn't have been able to do anything else. We went for a second time this January, and I still found it hard to use a camera and take time to enjoy the underwater beauty. For first time, IMHO, I'd say just go and enjoy!

I have been scuba diving since 1968 and up to this year used a 35mm Nikonos. I found that Fugi makes a underwater housing for my F30 and I fell in love as I can also record 640x480 AVI video and play it back.

If you have a digital check and see it there is a housing for it, it not check out the new Fugi F40 with the housing, my friend just purchased one and the package was around 235.00 for all and it is 8.3MP.

More than anything, have fun and be safe and aware.

Like a previous poster said, get a disposable one. When the time comes if you decide taking pictures is to much trouble then you don't have to take them - you can still use the camera outside of the water. However, if you do decide you want to capture some memories of the underwater world, then you'll have it right there with you. The strap makes it easy to tote it along underwater without getting in the way. I believe it's better to have it if you want it, rather than wishing you had brought it.

Our last cruise was the first time my boyfriend had been snorkeling. He spent just as much if not more time adjusting his equipment and figuring out how to move around in the water as he did actually snorkeling and looking around (and taking a couple of pictures). I'm glad we had the disposables with us -- very simple to use and decent pictures. A new camera or housing would have probably added to his "struggle" and we would've had no pictures at all. :D

So I guess my point is keep in mind how comfortable you are with the snorkeling part before you decide how complicated a camera you want to use.

But definitely take one (or a few) with you. Buy 'em before you go, they're much cheaper at home than they are on the ship.

I strongly suggest going to the pool to get used to snorkeling before going on the trip. We did that with my wife and friends, 3 times before a trip.

My wife (and I also) tried with disposal cameras. The pics did not turn out very well. You need very good lighting for the pics to come out well. I am a diver and I eventually bought a more expensive camera (MX10) that took good pics.

Taking shots underwater is just like taking any kind of picture, you get better at it after you've seen your mistakes. The advantage in having a disposable camera is that you have a minimal investment in the trial period. You may find that even though they are very light and float they can be an annoyance. You may find that they are a distraction that affects your safety as a solo snorkeler. OR you may just love looking at your pictures. We ended up buying a camera because we like having a flash, and it does take better pictures. We also think it’s nice to have a waterproof camera anytime we’re near the water. But we don’t mind at all that our first pictures were from a disposable camera. Have fun in the water!

Been snorkeling twice. Like skiing, this is something that I regret not trying sooner!

My first brush with snorkeling was Poi'Pu in Kauai. It was awesome. The days were sunny and clear and the water was crystal clear and shallow.

The pictures we got from our $8 disposable were OK: not terrible, not great. You have a set film speed and a fixed lens. But you also don't have to worry about cost or fiddling with the camera.

We just got back from Maui and took two disposables. This time the pictures were pretty lousy. The water was a lot deeper. The sky was mostly overcast. The water wasn't very clear so most of the shots were murky.

You can still get great compositions and they still trigger memories.

If you are mostly a camera-oriented geek, you'll probably not be happy with a disposable unless conditions are perfect. If you just want to record your first snorkel adventure with minimal bother a disposable should work just fine.

After you're hooked and you go on that great snorkel quest for the perfect snorkel place, maybe then you'll want a better camera.

The disposable are great for many reasons as listed from other posters. One thing I found that works Is buying one for each member in my family thet goes snorkeling. That way everyone is taking pics & you are not just relying on one persons camera or views. You'll be sure to get a few good shots

I have a related question. There is a waterproof housing available for my Sony N2 digital camera for approximately $150. I have never taken underwater photos. I only go snorkeling about once every two years (although on my upcoming cruise I plan to snorkel at least three times), but am comfortable in the water with my gear. I should note that I hope to learn to scuba dive in the spring, which would increase my opportunities to use the housing.

Is it worth it to purchase the housing or should I try a disposable camera first? What's the general quality of photos taken underwater? Should the flash be used or not? I think it would be fun to take photos, but $150 is a big investment to make if photos generally don't come out well underwater -- plus I'll admit to being nervous about the housing failing and my camera being ruined. On the other hand, I love to take photos and photos of my snorkeling experience would be a great addition to my collection.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Karen,

While only a novice photographer I can only comment on the quality of the disposable cameras we have had experience using while snorkeling. The quality of those photos varies greatly on the following factors we encountered. The best pics we shot were in water not too deep maybe 15" max w/white & light colored sandy bottoms. Deeper water pics have never came out well, as well as pics w/dark colored rock etc. on the bottom. The flash really didn't do much to help these shots, probably just not powerful enough? I captured some pretty cool shots when free diving down & shooting upwards. I really think having adiquate light/lightness is the key to decent underwater disposable photos

I have a related question. There is a waterproof housing available for my Sony N2 digital camera for approximately $150. I have never taken underwater photos. I only go snorkeling about once every two years (although on my upcoming cruise I plan to snorkel at least three times), but am comfortable in the water with my gear. I should note that I hope to learn to scuba dive in the spring, which would increase my opportunities to use the housing.

Is it worth it to purchase the housing or should I try a disposable camera first? What's the general quality of photos taken underwater? Should the flash be used or not? I think it would be fun to take photos, but $150 is a big investment to make if photos generally don't come out well underwater -- plus I'll admit to being nervous about the housing failing and my camera being ruined. On the other hand, I love to take photos and photos of my snorkeling experience would be a great addition to my collection.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Hi,

As I tell my friends, do you want to take snapshots or photographs? There is quite a bit of different between the two. If you're just trying to capture the general feel of snorkeling, get a disposible. However, if you are looking to bring back memories, you should consider the enclosure. Don't worry about a flash yet, most snorkeling takes place in 15 ft. or less so the flash will not be worth the investment. As far as leaks and such, maintain your enclosure and it will work fine. I've done a hundred dives on mine (many times below 100ft which is several atmospheric pressures greater than your enclosure will experience) and have never had a leak. I clean and lubricate the "O" ring EVERY time I open the case, even after I've serviced it and forgotten to do something to the camera before I put it in. Watch for fine hairs and sand in the track where it seals and get some dessicant paks to put in the enclosure to keep it from fogging as your camera warms up in it. Generally I find taking "photographs" sub-par and just not that good with disposables but like I said, they take great "snapshots".

Hope this helps,

Randall

You can check out my website of underwater pictures "using an enclosure" at http://www.randallgamby.com

snorkel dawg, thanks for the hints on using the available light. Unfortunately, I can never seem to dive down with my snorkel gear on. I can get about three feet below the surface and then I pop back up. I guess I haven't learned the secret for that yet. Any hints?? :)

scubaran, wow! Awesome photos. Thanks for the link. Did you use a flash for those (I'm currently looking at the Caribbean 2007 gallery)? I like to take photographs, so perhaps I will buy that enclosure. Forgive my ignorance, but where does one get dessicant paks? Also, what do you use to lubricate the "o" ring? DH does a lot of work with auto parts, so he may have the appropriate lubricant on hand.

Any other hints for taking good underwater photos?

Karen

This is something I've tossed back and forth for years. I did buy a disposable camera once, the pictures all came out terrible. I found, personally, that it really cut in to my enjoyment of my dive. Things rarely keep still long enough for a good picture (except coral!), if you go too deep, everything is blue anyway, and I didn't like the added pressure of looking around for the "perfect shot". I think if you are really interested in photography, sure, go for it. But I've found just swimming along looking at fishies is good enough for me, and I don't like anything cutting into my relaxation.

Jane

snorkel dawg, thanks for the hints on using the available light. Unfortunately, I can never seem to dive down with my snorkel gear on. I can get about three feet below the surface and then I pop back up. I guess I haven't learned the secret for that yet. Any hints??

It's hard to stay down for any amount of time while snorkeling (at least it is for me too) and finding & getting that perfect shot is extremely hard, if not impossible while snorkeling. I try to dive down & swim along the bottom searching for a good snapshot until I run out of breath. Granted the bottom for me is usually 15" deep or less. Randy's comment that there is a difference between snapshots & photographs is right on. But there is also a huge difference for a diver & a snorkeler taking pics. A diver can be deep below the surface and take their time photographing while snorkeling you have only moments.

Another factor that weighs heavily with me is the cost. While taking snorkel gear & disposables for my family of four is very inexpensive. Where on the other hand the four of us diving = big $$$$

I'm very happy with some of the shots we have accumilated in our trips to the Caribbean. Are they suitable for blowing up & framing, no. Yet we relive the underwater memories just the same each time we look at them.

I did very much enjoy viewing your dive photographs Randy, thank you for sharing!:) & Good luck to you Karen!

Unfortunately, I can never seem to dive down with my snorkel gear on. I can get about three feet below the surface and then I pop back up. I guess I haven't learned the secret for that yet. Any hints?? :)

Did you use a flash for those (I'm currently looking at the Caribbean 2007 gallery)? Forgive my ignorance, but where does one get dessicant paks? Also, what do you use to lubricate the "o" ring? DH does a lot of work with auto parts, so he may have the appropriate lubricant on hand.

Any other hints for taking good underwater photos?

Karen

You DO let the air out of your snorkel vest before you dive down, right? :p The secret is to take a series of 3 or 4 deep breaths before diving down. This clears the carbon dioxide out of your blood and saturates your cells with oxygen. Then take an addition deep breath and as you dive down exhale about 1/4 to 1/3 of the air in your lungs as you kick down (you don't need it with the saturated cells and it makes you more negative in the water). I can do about 45 secs to 1 minute looking around at 15-20ft this way (a lot of time when you're looking for pictures to take).

As far as the dessicants, you can get them in a lot of places, I use D&H photo out of NY (the Olympus ones work well). Do a search and they'll show up all over the photo sites.

I use a flash depending on the depth. But a lot of them, like the trumpetfish pictures in the gallery you were in were taken around 10 ft. and I used ambient light (along with Photoshop). At depth (some pictures are at 100ft or more) I do use a strobe.

As far as the "O" ring, the enclosure will include the lubricant as part of the kit (at least it should). The same sites that have the dessicant paks will have "O" ring lubricants, sea and sea has a good one. Pretty much any clear, silicon based lubricant that's waterproof (I think all silicon lubricants are waterproof but can't guarantee) will work.

As far as good pictures, a few things:

Get close, then closer, and then get closer still. Eliminating the ocean between you and your subject eliminates the blue.

If you have white balance, set it for "cloudy day" light. The water emulates a cloudy day and your whites will be whiter.

I like to set my camera to ISO100 or ISO200 (depending on the visibility that day), f5.0 and a shutter of 1/125s. This gives fast enough shutter to stop the fish in action but gives enough light for color.

Lead the fish in your shot.

Shoot the subject from the side, or slightly upward. Don't shoot down on the subject (no one wants to see the top of someone's head, same with fish). This is one of the cardinal failures in snorkeling which is why mastering "duck diving" will pay off on your shots.

Be situationally aware. Know where the boat is, where other snorkelers are and if there are any currents, etc. Don't want to be chasing after a shot to find yourself lost a sea. :D

Be in shape and don't over do it. You're in a physically demanding environment.

Practice, practice, practice.

Anyway, trying to keep it under a book in length. (speaking of, read an underwater photography book or two, I've read around 10).

Randall

Randall, thanks so much for all the advice. Got a real laugh out of the vest comment. Have to admit that I don't wear one. I'll try your suggestions about breathing and see how it works. I guess you're also suggesting that I get on the treadmill between now and my sail date? :D

I will print out your note and take it along. DH did ask me about fog within the housing, and I thank you for addressing that and letting me know how to handle it. The articles I had read on taking underwater photos never mentioned it.

Karen

Apparently they never missed that great shot of a 8 ft. nurse shark under a ledge due to a fogged lens. :mad:

Randall

Or if they thought they were writing the article for amateurs, perhaps they thought we wouldn't care. Thanks again.

Karen

The first question to ask before deciding on a camera is how comfortable are you with swimming? How comfortable are you in water? That can make a huge difference in how easy it is for you to handle a camera.

For ex: I am very comfortable in water and went snorkeling for the first time in over 25 years in 2006. I had no problems with my gear or with snapping pictures with a disposable camera. My SO on the other hand who had snorkeled much more recently, is not quite as comfortable in water, and would have found having to use a camera as well as coordinating everything else too frustrating and even a bit "scary".

So first ask yourself if you're comfortable not only in swimming, treading water, etc, but also are you comfortable doing it in open water? Then use that as your guideline. :)

Archived