New to Snorkeling - should I buy a camera?

TessM

I am going on the Carnival Victory 11/25/07 to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I am excited about the snorkeling opportunities!!

I purchased a Vupoint 5MP underwater digital camera from wolfcamera.com for only 99.99. There were 2 reviews written by people who live on Panama City Beach. They gave it raving reviews, especially using the video record mode. If you don't know, PC beach is "the world's most beautiful beach" because of the white, powder sand. The water is beautiful too, but nowhere as clear as the caribbean water. So, I'm thinking that if he took great, clear pics in the Gulf, then you should be able to take some really nice shots in the caribbean. The digital camera also comes out of the housing and is a regular 5 megapixel digital camera. Check it out, it might be something that you could use.

Any you'd care to recommend? Thanks!

These are on my must review before every photography dive:

The Essential Underwater Photography Manual: A Guide to Creative Techniques and Essential Equipment

Adobe Photoshop for Underwater Photographers

Digital Imaging for the Underwater Photographer

Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography

My Underwater Photo Journey [Hardcover] by Cathy Church (this is a photo book but Cathy gives details on how she took these pictures on her website)

Plus pretty much anything by Cathy Church or Jack Drafahl/Sue Drafahl.

Hope this helps,

Randall

Thanks again to everyone who offered their advice and opinions. Just wanted to let you know that I ordered my housing and picked up a pack of dissectants yesterday. I'll try to post some photos when I return in the middle of December. Keep your fingers crossed that this works for me!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

As I tell my friends, do you want to take snapshots or photographs? There is quite a bit of different between the two. If you're just trying to capture the general feel of snorkeling, get a disposible. However, if you are looking to bring back memories, you should consider the enclosure. Don't worry about a flash yet, most snorkeling takes place in 15 ft. or less so the flash will not be worth the investment. As far as leaks and such, maintain your enclosure and it will work fine. I've done a hundred dives on mine (many times below 100ft which is several atmospheric pressures greater than your enclosure will experience) and have never had a leak. I clean and lubricate the "O" ring EVERY time I open the case, even after I've serviced it and forgotten to do something to the camera before I put it in. Watch for fine hairs and sand in the track where it seals and get some dessicant paks to put in the enclosure to keep it from fogging as your camera warms up in it. Generally I find taking "photographs" sub-par and just not that good with disposables but like I said, they take great "snapshots".

Hope this helps,

Randall

You can check out my website of underwater pictures "using an enclosure" at http://www.randallgamby.com

Where do you buy these dessicant paks for a reasonable price?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the advice on the underwater housing. Although I couldn't figure out how to get the flash to work (despite changing it to forced flash, it simply wouldn't flash) and having a very difficult time seeing the LCD screen (despite the fact that it's 3"), I lucked out and got a few good photos out of the many I shot. I think I would have more luck if I were using it while diving, but I suppose I'll actually have to take a diving course first.

Thanks especially to scubaran who provided all the setting information. The dessicant worked perfectly and I had no moisture inside the camera. I also remembered to shut the camera off between photos so the heat didn't build up.

Karen

Archived