New regulation in Europe, more flights??

happy cruzer

Hi, On a thread I was reading, someone referred to a new regulation that might open up more flights to Europe next year. They thought Air France would open more flights to compete with British Air.

Anyone know of the details? Will it mean lower fares too? Will it start early next year?

this is the the "Open Skies" agreement between the EU and the U.S. If you google this, it will be a bit confusing because there is another agreement with the same name which covers surveillance over-flights.

For the life of my I never understood why the EU signed this agreement as it clearly favors the U.S. carriers in several respects. That said in a broad outline ignoring all sorts of important details and limitations:

1) More "slots" for U.S. carriers at european airports.

2) U.S. carriers can cary internal E.U. passengers (example American Airline could fly from NYC to London, drop off some passengers AND PICK UP NEW ones and continue on to Frankfurt.

3) E.U. carriers can fly to the U.S. from other than their home countries (example: Lufthansa could fry from Frankfurt to London, drop off some passengers, pick up some new ones and continue to NYC). Note, that E.U. carriers can NOT fly passengers on solely internal U.S. routes.

OK, experts feel free to jump in, correct, edit, complain, etc. <grin>

Paul

that's it! Open Skies! Sounds promising, I didn't know that there were such strict restrictions on the flights before and even still after this agreement.

I thought that only US states came up with protectionist policies like the Wright admendment in Texas.

I thought that only US states came up with protectionist policies like the Wright admendment in Texas.

I certainly wouldn't call the Wright amendment a US "protectionist policy", considering it only affected one airport. Southwest originally CHOSE to stay at Love Field. In fact, they filed suit against the City of Dallas to STAY at Love Field and the case went all the way to the US Supreme Court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Amendment

And speaking of protectionist policies, take a look at our neighbor to the South. NAFTA was supposed to provide equal opportunities into and out of Mexico. However, the Mexican government will NOT allow US trucks into Mexico UNLESS they are connected/owned/operated to a Mexican trucking company.

But the Mexican government has been making a big stink about allowing Mexican trucks to pick up and deliver freight ANY place in the US. So a month ago, the first of the Mexican trucks was allowed across the border, but the American trucks STILL have to cross dock their freight at the border to a Mexican truck for delivery in Mexico.

The same thing applies to air freight going into Mexico. IF I send 2 pallets into Mexico via air and one pallet is destined for Guadalajara and one pallet is destined to Leon (a distance of 115 miles), I CANNOT send it as one shipment with truck delivery to the second city, saving my company money on a volume rate and less paperwork. I MUST send it as two entirely separate shipments, with two complete sets of customs/import/export paperwork. Almost doubles the cost of shipping two pallets. Talk about protectionist!!!

Back on topic-IMHO certainly don't expect prices to drop to Europe due to Open Skies. There may be more seats, but there are also more people to fill those seats. Seems like an even exchange to me.

Let's hope this helps to drop prices. Right now we are looking at $1450.RT in May. If it goes up much more it will be the same cost as the cruise.:(

I am at an absolute loss when I read that people actually think that air prices will go down in the future. With oil trading at or close to $90.00 a barrel, materials (particularly steel and composites) that are used to build aircraft taking LARGE leaps upward in price and airports raising gate and other fees to be able to expand services and refurbish runways/airport facilities, why would you think prices will drop????

The airlines are FINALLY seeing a small profit. But it will take MANY years of small profit to offset the 5-6 year period of EXTREME losses.

And speaking of protectionist policies, take a look at our neighbor to the South. NAFTA was supposed to provide equal opportunities into and out of Mexico. However, the Mexican government will NOT allow US trucks into Mexico UNLESS they are connected/owned/operated to a Mexican trucking company.

But the Mexican government has been making a big stink about allowing Mexican trucks to pick up and deliver freight ANY place in the US. So a month ago, the first of the Mexican trucks was allowed across the border, but the American trucks STILL have to cross dock their freight at the border to a Mexican truck for delivery in Mexico.

The same thing applies to air freight going into Mexico. IF I send 2 pallets into Mexico via air and one pallet is destined for Guadalajara and one pallet is destined to Leon (a distance of 115 miles), I CANNOT send it as one shipment with truck delivery to the second city, saving my company money on a volume rate and less paperwork. I MUST send it as two entirely separate shipments, with two complete sets of customs/import/export paperwork. Almost doubles the cost of shipping two pallets. Talk about protectionist!!!

GREATAM/GINA: I live in Laredo, Texas, the number 1 land port between US and Mexico. Each business day between 10,000 and 13,000 drayage truck trips are made across the Rio Grande in one direction or another. Based on your experience noted above, it's no wonder there are so many. Joe

I learn something new everyday. I meant earlier that the Wright admendment was the policy I knew about not the only one, sorry I said it all wrong. And I meant that the state decided to protect the "new" airport - DFW. I see it is very complicated.

Also I think there is some hope that more flights and seats will mean that some folks fares would go down. Depending on where you live and how many connections you currently have to make, you might be able to get to an airport with direct hop to the city you are going to.

Thanks for the information!

Archived