I hope they just don't have the correct numbers yet.

Orcrone

I was looking at the HAL website. Even though the Eurodam is slightly larger and carries almost 300 more passengers than the Vista class ships HAL's website lists it as having the same 800 crew as the Vistas. I would have thought they'd need more cabin and dining stewards at the least.

I was looking at the HAL website. Even though the Eurodam is slightly larger and carries almost 300 more passengers than the Vista class ships HAL's website lists it as having the same 800 crew as the Vistas. I would have thought they'd need more cabin and dining stewards at the least.

Haven't you heard? HAL's plans for Eurodam include a new passenger cabin class, the "Going Dutch" category. You get a super cheap fare in exchange for cleaning your own cabin, swabbing the decks, and washing the dishes, sort of a la "Easy Cruise" taken up a notch. ;)

Karin:)

... the same 800 crew as the Vistas. I would have thought they'd need more cabin and dining stewards at the least.
My map/pamphlet from the Westerdam cites the same 800 number as you did, but my Noordam map/pamphet says it has a crew of 620. Since that is the last of the Vistas, maybe some efficiencies have been implemented (like more automation in the galley or laundries, or something like that) and the 800 figure for the Eurodam actually represents an increase of 180.

Additionally, CC's review of the Eurodam says "The ship will carry 126 more passengers in roughly the same amount of space as HAL's Zuiderdam-class vessels (Eurodam has an extra deck). "

Looks like something is wrong here!

Haven't you heard? HAL's plans for Eurodam include a new passenger cabin class, the "Going Dutch" category. You get a super cheap fare in exchange for cleaning your own cabin, swabbing the decks, and washing the dishes, sort of a la "Easy Cruise" taken up a notch. ;)

I want one of those cabins, brings back memories of my first cruise, with the US Navy:eek:

Love it!!!:)

I just did a quick cabin-count check of the Eurodam vs the Noordam. The Eurodam has +10 cabins on the Sports deck, +32 on the Observation deck, +14 on the Navigation deck, -6 on the Upper Verandah, -8 on the Verandah, -4 on the Upper Promenade, and +3 on the Main deck. That's a net of +41 cabins. I don't see how they can be increasing the pax count by even the 126 that the CC review states! :D I guess that's 126 over the Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, and pre-aft-lift Westerdam.

I just did a quick cabin-count check of the Eurodam vs the Noordam. The Eurodam has +10 cabins on the Sports deck, +32 on the Observation deck, +14 on the Navigation deck, -6 on the Upper Verandah, -8 on the Verandah, -4 on the Upper Promenade, and +3 on the Main deck. That's a net of +41 cabins. I don't see how they can be increasing the pax count by even the 126 that the CC review states! :D I guess that's 126 over the Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, and pre-aft-lift Westerdam.

Here's the stats per the Eurodam blog: http://www.eurodamnews.com/eurodam-stats/

Registry: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Gross Tonnage: 86,700

Length: 935 ft. (285 meters)

Operating Speed:v 23.9 knots

Passenger Decks: 11

Lower Beds: 2,104

Crew: 929

Penthouse Suites: 2

Deluxe Verandah Suites: 60

Superior Verandah Suites: 50

Verandah Suites: 596

Oceanview: 189

Standard Inside: 155

That totals 1,052 rooms, at 2 lower beds each, that totals 2,104, which is the passenger capacity shown at http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruiseships/Eurodam

Do those counts match what you found after tallying from the deck plans?

That totals 1,052 rooms, at 2 lower beds each, that totals 2,104, which is the passenger capacity shown at http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruiseships/Eurodam

Hmmm, unless I miscounted, the Eurodam has 1,021 rooms on the deckplans, so either the blog or the available deckplan is out of date.

Edit: Well, that was a waste of effort ... the Eurodam page on HAL's site states 1,022 rooms (which ties to the CC review) ... so clearly a mismatch ... although they claim that's 63 more than current Vista's - so numbers are still not matching up ... oh well, it'll all get cleaned up by the first sailing.

I didn't count cabins, I just did highest-room-number differences.

Okay, if it's 2104, and the Noordam's "lower bed count" is 1918, that would still mean they're putting 186 more pax into 41 additional cabins! :eek:

I didn't count cabins, I just did highest-room-number differences.

Okay, if it's 2104, and the Noordam's "lower bed count" is 1918, that would still mean they're putting 186 more pax into 41 additional cabins! :eek:

On the HAL site, they show only 1,022 cabins (not the 1,055 shown on the blog stats), which they claim is 63 more than the biggest Vista - but that doesn't tie out to your count of 41 more. So ... either their cabin counts are off, or the available deckplans are outdated. Either way, my head is starting to hurt from all these number. :(

Archived