Cruise vs. All Inclusive Resort ?

susycruise

I think I prefer cruising over AI's. At an AI depending on where you are, you may be stuck with their bar/lounge every night, after awhile it could get a little boring. Same for during the day, the same beach etc. I like the wide variety of entertainment on the ship, which I dont find at AIs. The AIs I have stayed at didnt have premium liquor, like Bacardi, had to drink horrible island rum. They didnt have name brand beer also, like miller etc. My husband didn't like the red stripe beer. Cruising is much less money also.

We are going on our third cruise and love them. :) Even convinced other family members to join us in the upcoming one.

Other family wants to try an AI next year.

Any suggestions for the caribbean area? Some activites, beach kinda stuff. We are kinda thinking St Thomas maybe so we could do a day trip over to some of the other islands if wanted. Can't quite decide. :rolleyes: Email if want/need.

Thanks.

Sarah

Go to St. John. One of the nicest beaches I've ever seen and the water is very clear.

For us, if we're going with a group then we prefer an AI. We will do one or two excursions throughout the week's vacation and the rest of the time is spent hanging out at the AI with our friends on the beach and at the pools.

If it's just us then we like the cruise. There's just so much more to do on a cruise; each day is different and so many options. We find it a lot easier to keep ourselves busy and amused on a cruise.

Also when we go to the ports we get an idea of whether or not we'd like to go back there and spend a week. There have been a few places that were good to go to for the day but there's NO way I'd ever want to spend a week there. Other places, Bermuda comes to mind, we know that we want to go back to and spend some concentrated time there. A cruise lets us have this little luxury.

I did allot of research on AI's in Punta Cana because we wanted to go away for a week in Feb. I only looked into the "best" ones because I wanted great food and wanted to be really happy at place we would be at for a whole week. Well, it was very expensive. I decided to put it off until next Nov. when the prices are better. So now we are going on a cruise in Feb. and it is costing less than half the price of an AI. I would prefer an AI because all I really want to do is be on a beach or at a swim up bar and relax. I don't know how much relaxing we'll get to do on the cruise because I will want to do the excursions. By the way, you are not stuck with just one bar or one restaurant in an AI. There are quite a few bars and restaurants on the grounds. Anyway, unless you drink allot, a cruise is definitely cheaper!

I think that it depends a lot on what you want as an end result of the vacation. DH and I went to Sandals and had a -really- good time, but the cost of that vacation was $5000 for the two of us. A few years later, we went to an all inclusive in Punta Cana was my family, and it was just okay. We were really bored. I don't remember how much it cost - I think my parents picked up the fare because we couldn't afford it and they really wanted us to go.

We can go on a cruise and have it cost less than $1000 for the two of us for the cruise fare, $200 RT for airfare (if we catch it right) and usually our bill for the week is also about $1000, but that includes gambling and all cash taken out for shore excursions, and the soda card that we buy up front. We are not heavy drinkers, and we found that the only "advantage" is that alcohol was included. I do remember at the all inclusive in Punta Cana, we started to get drunk starting at about 10am because there was nothing else to do. Oh yeah - and the size of the room was rather nice. But if there is enough for me to do, I don't care about the size of the room that I'm staying in.

• 2 years later...

Sorry, I know this topic is abit old (found it while doing a google search).

My wife and I have only done AI's. We've been to:

RIU Bachata in Puerto Plata DR

RIU Lupita in Mexico Playa Del Carmen

Gran Bahia Principe Ambar in Playa Del Carmen

All were 7 day stays and included flights from Toronto.

There is no doubt in my mind that (for us) AI's are far far cheaper than a cruise, assuming you are booking a balcony stateroom versus an oceanview AI room.

RIU Lupita a four star resort, for example cost us 1200 dollars. Not Per Person. 1200 (Canadian - CDN) all in for everything (flights + hotel) and was the best vacation I think I had in my life. Bachata and Ambar were more expensive ... Bachata was 2 grand CDN, Ambar was 2800 CDN, and these two were 5 star resorts.

Again all of the above included flights + transfers + stay + unlimited drinks/food and with the exception of Lupita, massive top tier ocean front rooms. We probably tipped a hundred US or so at each stay as well.

In contrast we are going on our first cruise ever in June this year and the cost is running right now at 3 grand -- 1500 per person (flight + cruise). We're going on Explorer of the Seas out of Jersey for a 9 day cruise.

So we're at 3 grand and we haven't even booked excursions, or even added in tips or cost of drinks. I'm not a huge boozer but I still expect to have at least 5 - 6 drinks per day which could run me another 40 dollars per day or so per person. I think 5 - 6 drinks per day while on vacation is pretty average for most people ....

This 9 day cruise is actually cheaper or about the same as alot of 7 day cruises which was why we booked it ... but it's still going to end up costing us at least 1000 dollars more than any 5 star all inclusive AI would ever cost us. Even if I had booked an inside cabin, an AI trip would still be at least 4 to 500 dollars cheaper.

The trick to AI's is simply this ... always always always book last minute using last minute deal websites. There are so many resorts out there that even if your departure date is not flexable (for example you have to book your vacation months in advance), there is ALWAYS going to be a deal to be had at a nice resort a couple weeks away from whenever you are planning on leaving. Tripadvisor.com is your best friend for finding out if where you plan on going is a good resort or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about my upcoming cruise, but there's no way it's cheaper than a nice land based AI. And prices are higher up here in Canada, I can only imagine the great prices to be had for those of you flying shorter distances from southern states.

I do think though those people who live in port cities can cruise very economically ... air fare is a big part of the overall expense.

Sorry, I know this topic is abit old (found it while doing a google search).

My wife and I have only done AI's. We've been to:

RIU Bachata in Puerto Plata DR

RIU Lupita in Mexico Playa Del Carmen

Gran Bahia Principe Ambar in Playa Del Carmen

All were 7 day stays and included flights from Toronto.

There is no doubt in my mind that (for us) AI's are far far cheaper than a cruise, assuming you are booking a balcony stateroom versus an oceanview AI room.

RIU Lupita a four star resort, for example cost us 1200 dollars. Not Per Person. 1200 (Canadian - CDN) all in for everything (flights + hotel) and was the best vacation I think I had in my life. Bachata and Ambar were more expensive ... Bachata was 2 grand CDN, Ambar was 2800 CDN, and these two were 5 star resorts.

Again all of the above included flights + transfers + stay + unlimited drinks/food and with the exception of Lupita, massive top tier ocean front rooms. We probably tipped a hundred US or so at each stay as well.

In contrast we are going on our first cruise ever in June this year and the cost is running right now at 3 grand -- 1500 per person (flight + cruise). We're going on Explorer of the Seas out of Jersey for a 9 day cruise.

So we're at 3 grand and we haven't even booked excursions, or even added in tips or cost of drinks. I'm not a huge boozer but I still expect to have at least 5 - 6 drinks per day which could run me another 40 dollars per day or so per person. I think 5 - 6 drinks per day while on vacation is pretty average for most people ....

This 9 day cruise is actually cheaper or about the same as alot of 7 day cruises which was why we booked it ... but it's still going to end up costing us at least 1000 dollars more than any 5 star all inclusive AI would ever cost us. Even if I had booked an inside cabin, an AI trip would still be at least 4 to 500 dollars cheaper.

The trick to AI's is simply this ... always always always book last minute using last minute deal websites. There are so many resorts out there that even if your departure date is not flexable (for example you have to book your vacation months in advance), there is ALWAYS going to be a deal to be had at a nice resort a couple weeks away from whenever you are planning on leaving. Tripadvisor.com is your best friend for finding out if where you plan on going is a good resort or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about my upcoming cruise, but there's no way it's cheaper than a nice land based AI. And prices are higher up here in Canada, I can only imagine the great prices to be had for those of you flying shorter distances from southern states.

I do think though those people who live in port cities can cruise very economically ... air fare is a big part of the overall expense.

Our airfare is usually equal to the price of our cabin for a week!!! Sometimes we can fly cheaper, but flights from Michigan to San Juan are expensive, especially when you add in luggage fees. We have been able to make it worth our while by doing B2B cruises or booking longer cruises.

We have been on 10+/- cruises and many land vacations, but never an AI. After reading about them, we never will! On a land vacation, if we like the place we may stay in we may stay until we have to go home, and if we don't, the next place is just a short drive away.:D

Cruises are restrictive, but go to places I can't drive and want to visit.

Plus: Cruises, don't have to find a room and unpack every night;

Minus: Can stay and learn about an area.

Conclusion: We don't have the energy nor desire to cruise again. (Our best experience was with our DD & fam. when we rented a home in Southern Spain for 2 weeks!:):)

We have cruised several lines, and found the experience to be deteroirating rapidly. I feel sorry for the people my kids ages, as they may not expierence the true :cruise experience".

Conclusion: We don't have the energy nor desire to cruise again. (Our best experience was with our DD & fam. when we rented a home in Southern Spain for 2 weeks!:):)

I think having to pick between the two, we'd pick land trips too..would love details on your house rental!

We currently have two Transatlantics booked, the prices were just too good to pass up, but have to go back to those land trips, can't be beat for the experience.

We have considered AI's but have found cruises to be much more affordable on our vacation budget. Daily rates for the AI's we are most interested in are high. Even when we find a good rate for the AI, airfares to the AI's are expensive and there are usually only one or two flights per day, and often no direct flights. We can drive to most of the cruise ports, or get very reasonable and convenient domestic flights.

We will still consider AI's, and would really like to do one when our budget alllows us to do one realy well, but for now we are cruising.

We are going in the opposite direction. On our last land tour, which was in January & February to SE Asia, my wife go a parasitic amoeba in her intestines . This was nearly 2 months ago and she is still suffering the effects.

We enjoy mixing them up, Land vs. cruise, but don't like staying in the same place for a week or two so AI's are out...

Paul, that sounds terrible, do you know if it was the drinking water or ?:confused:

It was not the drinking water, we only drank bottled water. It was probably either water on a glass, plate etc from washing or on food from washing. We are hoping that the amoebas are finally gone. DW finished her fourth round of antibiotics last week and has taken samples to the hospital for testing. We find out this week. And, hopefully, leave for our next cruise in 3 weeks.

Christine, we stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana in 2004, had a great time, beautiful place, everything "top shelf". We are heading to the newer property, Paradisus Palma Real, around the end of Feb-early Mar. It looks spectacular and is a heck of a lot closer to Sol Melia's golf course. :D

I've booked several people to the Paradisus Punta Cana, and they all loved it. It's one of the best in the DR! Personally, I like the Palace Resorts in Cancun and the MR. The Xpu-Ha Palace is truly unique, as it is an eco-park, and it is not a "hotel". There are separate 2-story palapas-type structures with elegant rooms on each floor. Wildlife is abundant, and you can rent bicycles. It's very spread out, so golf-carts are used, and come by frequently. It's just south of Playa del Carmen. I've been on more cruises than AIs, but I really do like all-inclusives. I've cruised all over the Caribbean ( and I do mean all over), and the "same old-same-old" ports are getting pretty boring, quite frankly. At this point, pricing is the big factor. The companies I've booked all-inclusives through include air and transfers. The Palace Resorts include excursions to places like Tulum, Chichen Itza, and Isla Mujeras. I took them all, and only paid cash tips to the driver and tour guide, as food was included. I like them both.

Archived