Horizon or Zenith

Herby

I am going to be on the Zenith for the second time this Saturday, just as everyone else commented the ships are very similar.

I am not sure if it is fact or rumor, but when we picked Zenith over the Horizon it was because we heard the Horizon does not have a hot tub. Fact or fiction? it was enough to make me chose Zenith.

Either way, I don't think there is ever a bad thing about picking a celebrity ship.

But since they don't have the hot tubs, they do have a second smaller pool that is like the thellasotherapy pools on the "M" class ships. It has that "built in lounge chair made out of pipes (you know what I mean) , the bubbles, the two streaming "water falls" and actually, I think it is more comfortable than those little hot tubs that should accomodate 4-6 but 8-10 pack into it. There was always plenty of room, and we never had to wait for some folks to get out because there wasn't enough room.

Had totally forgotten about no hot tubs and I was on both.

I do recall that one had really nice rolling cabanas on the back of the ship and come to think of it, that might have been where the hot tubs were on the other ship :)

I better get back on one of those ships to refresh myself!

NY is the place to sail from though in my opinion!

Enjoy!

It's a Bermuda-ful place!

I always just consider that pool a hot tub! Granted it's not quite as hot but you can stay in longer and you can 'lay' on the bubbles and be pretty comfie. Also like was said, no crowding.

I would still want to be in Hamilton on Wednesday night, That is one of the highlights of the trip and you don't want to be over on the other side of the island when you could be docked right at it!

'rolling cabanas'? That's a 28_1_8.gif new one for me. Explain a little more please?

well... how do I describe? it was like a BIG rickshaw but without the man pulling it. The inside had a comfy cushion and you could also put your legs up like a lounge. it was all open air in front but your upper body was inside and therefore protected from the sun, wind whatever. you could push them around to face the direct you wanted. it was wonderful - not many people knew about them and in the late afternoons I spent many an hour sleeping in there :)

We took this cruise from Norfolk on the Horizon on May 1st and had a horrible experience with the cruise itself. In port things were fabulous, so if you don't care about the ship herself you're good to go. We were hungry, bored, and very disappointed with the lack of upkeep. The Horizon is a little worse for the wear. I have a detailed posting somewhere on this board. But leaving out of Norfolk was great...then again we live in Va Beach.

I would be very interested in reading your review, but the search function is not coming up with anything. I am already booked for Oct, and it is a done deal. Actually, going hungry might not be a bad thing, as I can stand to lose some weight, LOL...I am sailing with other CC'ers so I am sure the cruise is going to be awesome, but am interested in reading your thoughts.......

Marie

I would be very interested in reading your review, but the search function is not coming up with anything. I am already booked for Oct, and it is a done deal. Actually, going hungry might not be a bad thing, as I can stand to lose some weight, LOL...I am sailing with other CC'ers so I am sure the cruise is going to be awesome, but am interested in reading your thoughts.......

Marie

The only "review" I could find by bwolf (sorry can't remember his whole name) was about 5 lines on a RCCL vs Celebrity thread.

If you click on someones name, it will show a little window with the selection that read something like "show all posts by so-and so". Then click on that and you can review the posts by that person. Pretty cool, huh. It is a great way to monitor someone's post especially if they continue to plug a certain TA or private tour--ie if that's all they post, then I disregard, if they post in other discussions, then I may look into the recommendation. Hope this helps with future searches.

well... how do I describe? it was like a BIG rickshaw but without the man pulling it. The inside had a comfy cushion and you could also put your legs up like a lounge. it was all open air in front but your upper body was inside and therefore protected from the sun, wind whatever. you could push them around to face the direct you wanted. it was wonderful - not many people knew about them and in the late afternoons I spent many an hour sleeping in there :)

Where were they located on the ship?

Just got off the Horizon today, those cabana things are no more. They weren't on there in 2002 when I was on either but they were there in 2001. They were nice. This was my 4th time on the Horizon, I have always found it very charming and easy to get around. I was on the Zenith last year. I prefer the Horizon because it only did one night in St. Georges and the rest in Hamilton. (and was there for the street fair). St. Georges can be a little dull if you've seen it already. Had no problem getting on or getting off in Philly. I didn't like the port in NYC because it was very crowded due to more than one cruise line disembarking at the same time. Long lines, long wait in NYC. But sailing out of NYC is lovely to look at. Now for some bad news and this is only a rumor that I heard from a crew member who I've seen for the last 3 years in a row, after 2005 they plan on selling the Horizon, they had already cut back on some staff. Who really knows for sure? A resident in Bermuda says that they are talking of making the channels bigger to accommodate the bigger ships. -Tammy

I had a dreamy cocktail waiter named Boris last time I was on Horizon. Is he still there ?? ;)

I hope that's not true about the channels being made bigger. I think that would be a shame for the island.

They need to get cheaper air fare in to Bermuda to boost tourism. From NY NJ the prices are insane.

We sail Zenith one week from today (9/11). Picked her because sailing from NYC is so special and next year it will be from NJ instead. Zenith is also just slightly newer but both girls are getting old. The street fair is one thing to keep in mind. We will miss it as we will be in St. George that night.

If you can call it a decline in service there were less bar waiters and there seemed to be less staff available in the Coral Seas to carry your tray for you. In the past they seemed to be tripping over each other anyway. Maybe this way with less bar waiters they will get more tip money, a good thing. For me it meant that I only had to say "no thanks" to that Bahama mama or whatever once every 20 minutes or so instead of every 10. Some bar waiters in the past had been quite entertaining, now I guess maybe they are just busy. I didnt see anyone named Boris, but I didn't learn any of the waiters names this year. I swear all of them are good looking but it might just be because they are in those uniforms.

On the ride home I saw a billboard sign advertising airfare to Bermuda on something called Bermuda3000 for $79. Problem is staying there when you get there, nice rooms are pricey. (or so I've heard)

Unfortunately for Bermuda and according to the local that was running the boat tour, if cruise ships continue to get bigger and bigger they would have to deepen and widen the channel. They really need the tourism dollar and the cruise ships are a big part of it. I've never had to tender anywhere so I don't know if that is a pain in the neck or what.

One thing that we did when we were on the Zenith last year was take an excursion to Harbor Nights, I think it was less than $30 a person and was a nice evening boat ride with 2 complementary drinks. Just a thought. I hope to post a real review in the next couple of days on the review board. -Tammy

Archived