Carnival or Princess??

cruisinlawn

looking at next summer, we have sailed both lines numerous times in Caribbean (with parents) but this will be a first for Alaska.

Looking at Princess rndtrip from Seattle or a one way on Princess or Carnival. I know Carnival wins on pricing but we'll be taking parents and want to do it right (this would likely be their first and last). Any input??

Both do a great job in Alaska and have similar passenger demographics. Both will have the bulk of passengers middle aged and above. No party ships in Alaska.

Carnival, offers wonderful Sitka, Princess offers Glacier Bay. Both definately worthwhile and highlights. An edge for Carnival would be to spend the day in Whittier and take a Prince William Sound boat tour- which offers excellent glacier viewing. This is easily doable if glaciers are a priority and far superior to any seen from a cruise ship.

With any one way trip, I highly suggest adding on all the extra days you can and see interior Alaska. Just spectacular, take advantage of being all the way there. :)

I have sailed both lines to Alaska Carnival 3- Princess 5. Tough choice.

Carnival, offers wonderful Sitka, Princess offers Glacier Bay. Both definately worthwhile and highlights. An edge for Carnival would be to spend the day in Whittier and take a Prince William Sound boat tour- which offers excellent glacier viewing. This is easily doable if glaciers are a priority and far superior to any seen from a cruise ship.

There is no advantage of Carnival over Princess in doing a PWS boat tour on one-way cruises - since both utilize Whittier. However, Carnival has a longer port time in Juneau, which would allow for a boat trip to Tracy Arm.

I much prefer Princess over Carnival for one reason alone, the glacier sailing itinerary. Princess offers up two glacier sailings onboard, Carnival only one. If you book Carnival, I certainly recommend an added glacier excursion if you have an interest in glacier viewing. Tracy Arm out of Juneau is fabulous via small boat excursion, but it is a very long day so consider if your parents are up for it; the scenery is just amazing! Prince William Sound is gorgeous, and the excursion times are shorter. It would be a very worthwhile excursion even though you will see it from onboard either of the sailings.

Of Princess, Celebrity and Carnival (the only 3 I've sailed in Alaska), Carnival is my least favorite... the line would need to offer significant savings over the others for me to even consider...

There is no advantage of Carnival over Princess in doing a PWS boat tour on one-way cruises - since both utilize Whittier. However, Carnival has a longer port time in Juneau, which would allow for a boat trip to Tracy Arm.

That is not the point. I know they both go to Whittier. The point is it is easy to add more glaciers if of interest, with Carnival, but you can't add another port with Princess.

That is not the point. I know they both go to Whittier. The point is it is easy to add more glaciers if of interest, with Carnival, but you can't add another port with Princess.

I thought perhaps you meant Juneau and Tracy Arm, rather than Whittier and PWS glaciers. It's true that you can't add more ports to Princess, but you also can't very easily add Glacier Bay to a Carnival one-way cruise.

I thought perhaps you meant Juneau and Tracy Arm, rather than Whittier and PWS glaciers. It's true that you can't add more ports to Princess, but you also can't very easily add Glacier Bay to a Carnival one-way cruise.

In my opinion, Prince William Sound beats out Glacier Bay for glaciers.

I know you favor Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier, but I never knew you favored Prince William Sound over Glacier Bay! You usually give the "edge" to ships that go to Seward because of access to Kenai Fjords cruises, as well as ships that go to both Glacier Bay and College Fjord over those that just go to Hubbard Glacier.

In my opinion, if glaciers are the priority, I would go to Glacier Bay and/or Hubbard Glacier, since Prince William Sound/College Fjord can be accessed from Whittier.

For me, it doesn't.

Totally different experiences but GB is just amazing.

I give the edge to Princess. If you want, you can add a Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier.

This is like asking which is best Ford or Chevy?

While both do a great job in Alaska. We been on both and by the end

of the Day we enjoyed Carnival ourselves.

But you see you get lots of feedback on this one. Unless you have

done it, its hard to sell someone which is best.

It's my understanding that Princess does not go to Sitka -- Sitka was a definately a highlight of my trip last summer. It's not a "cruisy" as the other ports -- others who have been there will know what I mean. The day we were there we were the only ship in town. I loved that. Also having one more day in port is a plus, too.

That said, I've sailed both lines and Princess does offer some extra touches that just make the experience that much better (namely, service).

It's my understanding that Princess does not go to Sitka -- Sitka was a definately a highlight of my trip last summer. It's not a "cruisy" as the other ports -- others who have been there will know what I mean. The day we were there we were the only ship in town. I loved that. Also having one more day in port is a plus, too.

Princess has routes that go to Sitka. It is just not part of their one way cruises.

They have ships going to other "non cruisy ports" such as Kodiak and Valdez.

Archived