Fake Jewelry instead of real

Johnny789

I have seen many threads about what to pack, I would also like to mention that the past few years my wife has not been taking her real wedding ring or other expensive jewelry. She found a nice looking fake diamond ring for about $40.00. I even just bought a cheap band for myself. This is one less thing to worry about. I dont even take my good watch just bring a cheap one.

Not a bad idea. I take my rings (although I leave the engagement ring in the safe most of the time), but this time I'm not taking my diamond earrings - not because they're irreplaceable (sp?) expensive, but because DH gave them to me for our 5th anniversary, so they have sentimental value.

Cruising is the one place I wear it, Especially on formal nights.

I keep it with me until we get to the cabin, and then it lives in the safe with our passports when not on my body. I don't wear expensive jewelry (other than my wedding and engagement rings, and they don't scream "steal me!" if you know what I mean) in port, just on the ship.

I know cruise ships and hotels usually have safes but I still worry about. We have a sentry safe in the house and it origanily had an electronic key pad to open the door, within the first year the pad stopped working so sentry said call a locksmith to open and they would pay for it. I was amazed how easy it was to jump the keypad. I told sentry about this and they sent me a new door with an old fashion tumbler. I am pretty sure all keypad safe can be jumped and open just as easy.

Never thought to worry about it. My jewelry is insured. I have it because I enjoy it. I didn't get it for investment purposes. So to leave it at home or in a safe all the time would negate its purpose (for me :) )

I have it. I take it. I wear it. :D :D :D And if someone want to rob me - I will hand it (over). ;)

Cruising is the one place I wear it, Especially on formal nights.

I keep it with me until we get to the cabin, and then it lives in the safe with our passports when not on my body. I don't wear expensive jewelry (other than my wedding and engagement rings, and they don't scream "steal me!" if you know what I mean) in port, just on the ship.

I NEVER wear jewelry at home but I always take it out on the cruise.

Kathy

Why have it if you are going to lock it up somewhere? I don't get to wear my fancy stuff at home so I bring on my cruises. All of it is well insured so I am going to enjoy it. When we go to port I put everything in the safe, not of fear but I am afraid of losing something while snorkeling, kayaking or other.

I bring my jewelry and wear in on board. When we go into port it stays in the safe.

A friend of mine purchased some imitation stuff to wear on cruises...and was robbed in Jamaica. She handed everything over and was relieved it wasn't her real stuff but the culprits have no clue if what you are wearing is real or not. They will still often times use a gun to relieve you of it.:eek:

Rule of thumb would be not to wear anything that might look "tempting" even if it is only the fake stuff.

My wife and I feel that when we go on vacation the jewelry would be out of our sight too much, example when we go on the beach, walking around the cities we visit on vacation aren't always as safe as we might want to believe. We also have insurance but it cannot replace the sentimental value of it. I just made this thread to mention for people to think about. Some may read this and say thats a good idea others may not think so.

My wife and I feel that when we go on vacation the jewelry would be out of our sight too much, example when we go on the beach, walking around the cities we visit on vacation aren't always as safe as we might want to believe. We also have insurance but it cannot replace the sentimental value of it. I just made this thread to mention for people to think about. Some may read this and say thats a good idea others may not think so.

Not to worry. I don't think anyone thought you were trying to tell anyone what to do. :) We are all just just sharing our "stories" and our habits.....

Why have it if you are going to lock it up somewhere? I don't get to wear my fancy stuff at home so I bring on my cruises. All of it is well insured so I am going to enjoy it. When we go to port I put everything in the safe, not of fear but I am afraid of losing something while snorkeling, kayaking or other.

I agree, when we go on a cruise, my wife takes all her diamonds, emeralds and rubys with her. Why have it if you are not going to use it and enjoy it. She does not wear them in port or when lying around the pool, except for her engagement and wedding ring. If it gets lost, that is what insurance is for. If you don't have insurance is it really that valuable?

Of course sentimental value is different. Anything that I have that has that kind of value stays at home in the safe. I bring things that are insured but wouldn't break my heart if it got lost or stolen.

Why is it any safer at home? You're away for a week or so, buglar heaven.

I have never been the least bit concerned about bringing my good stuff and keeping it the safe. If I leave it at home when I'm away I hide it in case some one is tempted to break in.

I have never been the least bit concerned about bringing my good stuff and keeping it the safe. If I leave it at home when I'm away I hide it in case some one is tempted to break in.

My housekeeper is at home and we have a very good alarm system.:)

I agree, when we go on a cruise, my wife takes all her diamonds, emeralds and rubys with her. Why have it if you are not going to use it and enjoy it. She does not wear them in port or when lying around the pool, except for her engagement and wedding ring. If it gets lost, that is what insurance is for. If you don't have insurance is it really that valuable?

I think there is also a factor of whether people place a sentimental value on their jewelry.

For the most part, the expensive jewelry that I have are pieces that DH and I have gotten as enjoyment pieces (once we reached the point that the essentials - house, schooling, retirement, etc - were well undercontrol). So they are for fun and enjoyment. "Things" so to speak. Not things of real "personal" value.

Women WANT expensive jewelry.

Then, when the opportunity arises to show to off, they wear fake stuff?

How about from now on we buy FAKE stuff and them to to wear it and tell people the good stuff is at home?????

WOW...The jewelry I wear at home is very sentimental to me. My wedding band is over 107 years old as is my engagment ring. It was passed down to me from Ireland. I couldn't bear the thought of losing them.

What does it matter to anyone what jewelry I (or anyone else) wears on a cruise:confused:

I do have some jewelery that I have solely for sentimental purposes that I wouldn't bring on a cruise. But others I have purely for enjoyment purposes and I bring it on a cruise because I bought it to be worn. If it gets stolen, yes I will be upset for a little while, but then I'll put in a claim on my insurance. I can't wear cheap jewelery as I tend to break out from it (my body has expensive tastes:p) so that isn't even an option for me.

The jewelery I don't bring with me on vacation goes into a safe deposit box at the bank before I leave on my cruise. Then when I get home I retrieve it. It is actually more safe while I'm on vacation than when I'm home (unless a burglar decides to break a hole in the side of the bank and steal the vault - which has happened recently!).

I also have a friend come over and spend every other night at my house when I am gone for long periods of time. Plus I have friends that live across the street that check on my house morning and night even if I am only gone a day or two. I have timers, etc. If a burglar wants in my house, he's going to get in there anyways. I won't feel any better about the invasion if he doesn't get anything than if he does.

I use to take all my real jewelry, because I wanted to wear it when I was getting dressed up for formal nights. Then I lost my engagement ring while not wearing it, because we were at the beach. I still can't stand to think about it, it makes me so sad! I'll only take fake stuff on vacation now.

KT

I use to take all my real jewelry, because I wanted to wear it when I was getting dressed up for formal nights. Then I lost my engagement ring while not wearing it, because we were at the beach. I still can't stand to think about it, it makes me so sad! I'll only take fake stuff on vacation now.

KT

That is heartbreaking!!!:(

Archived